GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

Catch can for 2020 2.0? General carbon risk for this engine?

4K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  buickanddeere 
#1 ·
I did search but found almost no info for 2018+ engines. What is the consensus on catch cans for the 2.0 engine and how bad is the carbon issue in general? Especially since I bought it used and it was a rental. Guarantee no one put premium fuel in it before returning. Not starting a debate on octane here. Those threads I did find. Lol
17,000 Kms on the car.

#3 ·
Hi Nodnerb,

We purchased a 2020 Terrain with the 2.0 AWD last March brand new. I did run a tank or two with lower octane and did notice carbon around the chrome tips. From there only 91 octane tips nice and clean.
Around 500 miles on the Terrain, I installed a Mishimoto catch can system for the Camaro full kit. I had to modify the bracket and a couple of connections. Next spring I'm going to make the bracket a little taller to accommodate larger cups.
The pictures here are from running it for two week. Normally drained them on a weekly basis. Yes kind of a pain in the butt.
The first catch can is the fresh air turbo side. All of that would have been going through the turbo and inner cooler. Second one is from the PCV side of things.
Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Car Steering part
Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Personal luxury car Automotive exterior
Personal luxury car Auto part Car Metal Automotive super charger part
Portafilter Automotive tire Fluid Automotive wheel system Food
Drinkware Cup Green Food Drink
Food Drinkware Tableware Ingredient Cup
Food Tableware Ingredient Recipe Cuisine
Drinkware Green Cup Drink Gas
Light Automotive design Motor vehicle Camera accessory Material property

#7 ·
Using 87 or higher octane is not going to make a difference on the soot on your tail pipes. Higher octane is no cleaner than 87. I had soot on exhaust of every car i've owned. 2002 granprix had it all the time and its was not turbo charged or direct injected. Octane is just for knock not for running cleaner. That has been documented over and over. Regarding catch can its up to you. These engine on other version of the cars have well over 200k with no issue and no catch can. Direct injection can cause a little more carbon build up on the intake valves but its simple cleaning procedure by spraying cleaning fluid into the intake past the MAF Sensor. Let it sit for what the bottle says and they will be cleaned.

Soot on tailpipes is just the normal by product of combustion just like moisture.

If you have car that is running poorly then you may have a litle more soot, but if your car is running fine a catch may do little it any to help. On these new Terrains and Equinox's the tips are chrome and it just wipes off with a simple spray of cleaner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.