GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My four cylinder 2011 Equinox with 85,000 miles has had nearly every problem known to occur to the early edition of the model. Virtually all of the problems were covered by warranty and the service and cooperation of my local dealer has been excellent. I really like the features of the car and would like to keep it to 160,000 miles. The oil life monitor was repaired under recall but not until I had at least two very long oil change intervals. Also the high pressure fuel pump had the leak which allowed gasoline to seep into the crankcase. This was also repaired under warranty. Most recently the pistons and rings were replaced (under warranty) because of excessive oil consumption, which I suspect was related to the two previous issues. Within the first tankful of gasoline the check engine light came on. The mechanic reset it once after determining the problem was either a bad O2 sensor (after the catalytic converter) or actually a bad catalytic converter. After the light came on again, the mechanic believes it is because of a bad converter. Cost to replace the converter is approximately $1,000 and they will see if GM will cover some of the cost even though we are past the 80,000 mile emissions control warranty. I think the dealer suspects the series of engine problems contributed to or caused the catalytic converter problems. One other variable is that I authorized the dealer to use an induction cleaner to deal carbon deposits when they finished the pistons & rings. I wondered if the induction treatment was the cause of the catalytic converter failure. Also, is it possible that burning the excess oil coated the converter?

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Okay well if the motor had all the other issues it could be attributed from that! As that can clearly be pointed out from the previous repairs. NOW weather or not GM will concur will be the issue. But it's plain as day. The converted got damaged from excessive oil being pushed thru the motor. I would stand some ground on that but may be an uphill battle.

Now I have seen on ebay converters for sale.. performance from the only manufacture that makes an exhaust for our platform.. that one cost around $400 or more (depending what vendor). It's not a hard thing to replace... rusty bolts may be the brunt of it. Which soaking them for a day with penetraing oil and some heat they should come out fairly easy.

Sorry to hear the continual issues. One other suggestion change both O2 sensors.. easy before the new cat goes in.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I seem to recall reading about catalytic converter problems are likely to occur after other engine issues. You could ask to schedule an appointment with the GM rep, make your case, state you're a loyal customer and cross your fingers. Perhaps helping your cause is the fact that the cat is warrantied to 150k in other states that have California's emissions standards.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Might not have anything to do with your case. But will relate what happened to me. About at 120 miles and 4 years down the road. I went in for an oil change and spark plugs. I got the bad news that my exhaust manifold was cracked, O2 sensor was burnt up and the coil for the cam advance was shorted. So, had everything taken care of. 800 miles later the engine light came on. Service Dept. said that it was pointing to the catalytic converter was as they said all melted solid. 1100 bucks more and I was on my way.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I second on taliking to GM rep.. show your reciepts.. you have a very ligit case for them to warrant it free to you.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
WVDave said:
My four cylinder 2011 Equinox with 85,000 miles has had nearly every problem known to occur to the early edition of the model. Virtually all of the problems were covered by warranty and the service and cooperation of my local dealer has been excellent. I really like the features of the car and would like to keep it to 160,000 miles. The oil life monitor was repaired under recall but not until I had at least two very long oil change intervals. Also the high pressure fuel pump had the leak which allowed gasoline to seep into the crankcase. This was also repaired under warranty. Most recently the pistons and rings were replaced (under warranty) because of excessive oil consumption, which I suspect was related to the two previous issues. Within the first tankful of gasoline the check engine light came on. The mechanic reset it once after determining the problem was either a bad O2 sensor (after the catalytic converter) or actually a bad catalytic converter. After the light came on again, the mechanic believes it is because of a bad converter. Cost to replace the converter is approximately $1,000 and they will see if GM will cover some of the cost even though we are past the 80,000 mile emissions control warranty. I think the dealer suspects the series of engine problems contributed to or caused the catalytic converter problems. One other variable is that I authorized the dealer to use an induction cleaner to deal carbon deposits when they finished the pistons & rings. I wondered if the induction treatment was the cause of the catalytic converter failure. Also, is it possible that burning the excess oil coated the converter?
Hey WVDave,

The Equinox does have great features! I'm very happy to hear that you enjoy it and that the previous repairs have been covered under warranty. I also think it's wonderful that you've been having a great experience with your dealership. If you need any further assistance in working with your dealer, please let me know via private message.

Best Regards,
Vivian K.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
6 Posts
Did they ever cover the catalytic converter? They will not cover mine. They say not to believe what you read on the internet regarding excessive oil consumption ruining the catalytic converter. Wow do they even know how cars work. I can see this becoming a class action suit. Anyone else have to deal with this?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Unhappy said:
Did they ever cover the catalytic converter? They will not cover mine. They say not to believe what you read on the internet regarding excessive oil consumption ruining the catalytic converter. Wow do they even know how cars work. I can see this becoming a class action suit. Anyone else have to deal with this?
Seriously, you should try other dealers. Sooty, smoky exhaust can foul O2 sensors, why not the cat?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Re:

After they repaired mine for oil consumption my dealer told me to watch for the cat to go next and covered it under warranty as soon add the light came on. Now that I think of it they ordered the cat before I even brought it in to get the code checked

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mine has 100,000 miles only warranted to 80,000. GM says it is possible something else ruined it. It is also possible the oil did it but they will not cover it. Time to rethink my loyalty!

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
Did you even try any other dealers?

Others, including owners in other threads regarding your issue here on the Forum had good results with the dealers they went to.

Many times a dealer does not like to do warranty work because they have slow, inexperienced techs or very few that are loaded down with work.

But it is up to you. . .. . there are many happy owners here, and unfortunately there are many more who come here after they have a problem.

I've been a satisfied GM vehicle owner for many, many years. I also have owned vehicles form Toyota, Nissan, Mitsubishi, Subaru, Dodge, and several more. I have found GM to be as good as, if not better than, the other brands I have owned. Service was deplorable at two Toyota dealers I had the misfortune to deal with. And Subaru service was an expensive encounter I never wish to have again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree I just had my engine replaced after my failed oil consumption test and now my engine light came on 2 days after receiving my car back from the dealership. The dealership said it read as a P0240 Catalytic Converter I found a bulletin online that GM states that the 2010-2011 Equinox and Terrain have a Special Warranty on the Catalytic Converter replacement dated July-August 2016. but he said it wasn't covered. I am in on the class action lawsuit for sure...nothing but problems with this car within the last 9 months..new transmission, engine, exhaust manifold, cracked flex pipe, o2 censor..etc.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Just note, the dealer is not at fault here. please don't get mad at them. :)

My 2011 is under an extended warranty for the cat. Just had the rings and pistons replaced too.

Hope GM start putting the 2012's under that. They need to.

Also, if you have the dealer take care of it now and GM finally coughs up for the cats later, you will get reimbursed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Chevy Equinox recall + catalytic converter problems

Yes. I will help my daughter write a letter to GM. Just why is it that at LESS than 100,000 miles she needed MAJOR work and NOW after driving around for 2 months with the check engine light on that she needs a new manifold AND a new catalytic converter??? Wow. Class action law suit or a major recall needed. THERE is a pattern here.

·
Registered
1 Posts
excess oil consumption, catalytic-(1) replaced, now check engine again.

My 2011 terrain also had the excessive oil consumption the dealer after monitoring the oil usage, ( I had to stop by once a week) so they could read and track dip stick reading.
They replaced the rings and pistons. before the recall came out.
I have seen the cracked manifold, also.
Just after 84000 miles catalytic one needed to be replaced along with o2 sensor.
dealer would not cover the part.
Now a couple months later check engine light on again code P0420 emission related.
My wife is like fix this piece of junk and get rid of it.
Too many costly problems.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am currently dealing with this - GM is saying that I am days outside of their extended (10yr/120k mile) coverage even though I have been having this issue for about a year, and it was never correctly diagnosed by them. (And not for nothing but I only have ~75k miles on the car). I purchased this car brand new and have had it serviced solely by GM the entire time (10yrs) that I have owned it. I also had the oil consumption issue and they refused to cover that, I ended up paying out of pocket (after my engine almost seized because they told me to drive the car so that the oil could deplete 3 times before they would fix it). Was there a class action suit established?? I am at wit's end with this vehicle, and I am a healthcare worker amidst this crazy pandemic. I cannot afford this right now, and I need this vehicle. Please let me know, thank you!

·
Registered
10,334 Posts
First, with your description, next purchase, I would go to a different dealer. Your current dealer is horrible. Next, I would deal with GM directly with your issues. Hi above your current dealer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
First, with your description, next purchase, I would go to a different dealer. Your current dealer is horrible. Next, I would deal with GM directly with your issues. Hi above your current dealer.
Unfortunately I have been dealing with corporate directly for weeks now, they keep "escalating" my call but then calling me back and saying the same thing (that I'm days outside of the 10yr). They won't honor the fact that I've had this issue and that it was never properly diagnosed. My car is literally sitting at their dealership as we speak. It's truly appalling.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts