GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on doing it this weekend but I thought I would ask if anyone knew.

What is the distance between the roof rails? Would it accomodate the GM Thule box from the Acadia?

Before I sell my cargo box from the Acadia, I wanted to know if it would work on the Terrain. It is supposed to break 40 (woohoo)this weekend so I was going to take the boxdown and do a dry run on top of the truck .

Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm hoping that is the case. I doubt they would make a box any smaller.

I just wish I could get my hands on roof rails to test it out too.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks SnowItch.

I appreciate it. I think I would look a little funny in my parking lot with my suit and tie on, hanging out my door with a tape measure on the roof.

When I get home it is too friggin cold and I have 2 kids yelling at me to do stuff. That leaves anytime after 9 pm to do this in my cold garage.

LOL!!

Thanks for the help. I have people on the Acadia forum clamoring over the stuff I posted for sale but one guy wants everything.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks SnowItch.

Just finishing up some work and then will get measurements from accessory zone. I think it should fit,

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmmm.....may need a dry run.

The box measures 36 in wide x15 inch high x 56 in long

It may squeak by width wise but length wise it may prove to be too long.

It would go from antenna to over the sunroof.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DRY RUN COMPLETE!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used 2 pieces of moulding to act as crossrails. MOunted the box on those on the roof.

Width was fine. Length was fine as well. I pushed it as far to rear as i could. Did not hit antenna nor did the rear hatch interfere. The front barely extended over the sunroof.

The only issue is that I have to go with OEM crossbars. I was going to by Thule Aero crossbars so I can mount on any vehicle but the bars need to be at least 24 inches apart.

With the design of the side rails, it makes it impossible to mount on the side rails more than 23 inches at max apart. IF you use OEM, they will slide inside the track and you will have a max of 34 inches to spread.

I am still going to order the Easy Snap mounts and the fairing strip to deflect the wind from going underneath though.

Thanks for the measurement help Snowitch

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SnowItch said:
Your welcome.

Are the Snap mounts and fairing strip sold by Thule?
The Snap mounts came witht he 667ES box. That is the model of the Thule box (sold by THule) that matches the GM box.

I found a place online that sells replacement ones and the fairing. Both made by Thule,

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
NY_Joe said:
The Snap mounts came witht he 667ES box. That is the model of the Thule box (sold by THule) that matches the GM box.

I found a place online that sells replacement ones and the fairing. Both made by Thule,
Just a follow up to the thread. I willpost pics tonight (tease..lol) as I did the install 2 weekends ago.

Fairing - only works with Thule Aero and square bars....contrary to person at E-Trailers opinion of working with an crossrail. That was returned.

Easy Snap mounting - not so easy. The box they are made for is the same model as the GM branded one. However, upon install and reading the GM direction I still had, Gm drilled there own holes to fit their mounting options and not a Thule mounting option. oops.

I rectified that by drilling my own holes in the box and test mounting. Took about 30 mins of drilling and up and down a ladder but it was worth it, Makes the mounitng so much easier.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I am curious what impact this will have to your MPG. If you can, please let us know!

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
moofy said:
I am curious what impact this will have to your MPG. If you can, please let us know!
Well, I don't keep it on full time but when we hit the road in May and June I wil report back.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, here are some pics after a bath and install of rails and box.

Last weekend the windows were done but it was a monsoon here. IN 7 hrs I am getting the pinstriping. Will post pics after that.

Attachments

·
Registered
277 Posts
NYJoe can now haul a lot of beer around!! Looks great. What kind of pinstriping? My dealer put it on mine before I picked it up and didn't even charge for it. Nothing fancy, but it does look good. Good for you!!

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Islander said:
NYJoe can now haul a lot of beer around!! Looks great. What kind of pinstriping? My dealer put it on mine before I picked it up and didn't even charge for it. Nothing fancy, but it does look good. Good for you!!
LOL!!! Need it for grill install.

I went to oneof the elite pinstripers in NY. Nelson Medina. Amazing.

Running around allday so no good pics. I wanted black/red stripe but he did something better.

At the body crease he painted a wide dark grey strip with a black thin stripe inlayed. Underneath he did a thin red line. I love it.

Attachments

·
Registered
277 Posts
Pretty sweet there Joe. Mine's not painted...just a dealership (cheap) pinstripe tape. Did a dark gray over a light gray lower stripe. Looks good (for free!)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts