GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there much difference between the carbon black and onyx, other than the metallic? On the site, carbon looks a little grey to me.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I prefer the Onyx/Black Granite colors to the dark shade of gray that is "carbon"....but I got silver ice metallic on my Nox so I may not be the best one to ask. ;D

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have the Carbon Black and it is really black but has metallic flakes in it and really looks great especially clean. Really happy that I spent the extra money.

·
Registered
321 Posts
superchick said:
Is there much difference between the carbon black and onyx, other than the metallic? On the site, carbon looks a little grey to me.
You have to see it for yourself in person, side by side! Then decide. Color is such a subjective issue. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. To each his/her own. Only you can decide if it is worth the money. Listen to your heart and gut feeling on this one. This is the only way you will have confidence that you made the right decision. You have to see the two colors in person.

·
Registered
306 Posts
The Carbon Black Metallic is worth every penny in my opinion. It looks totally black until it gets exposed to sun light then it just "pops". I was looking at Onyx until I saw a Terrain in Carbon and I was instantly sold. A side benefit to the Carbon Black is it doesn't look dirty as quickly as the Onyx. Perhaps it's because the metallic ( and it has a lot of metallic) seems to break up the solid black background. You don't get this effect with the Onyx. I'm extremely pleased with my choice and the wife luv's it too. Good luck, Ron

·
Registered
63 Posts
wbassnp007 said:
You have to see the two colors in person.
I completely agree. I was sold on the Carbon Black based on photos until I got to the dealership to see it. I ended up ordering a white SLT-2, a color that I hadn't even given a second thought to prior to seeing it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I love the Carbon Black. The sleek, classy look of jet black when there isn't direct sunlight and the sharp depth of a dark grey/black metallic in sunlight. It hides road dust a bit better than black and I imagine it will hide any light scratching and swirling when that eventually shows up on the clearcoat. I think it's worth the extra money.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My local dealer just took delivery of a carbon black and it is GORGEOUS!!! Totally confirms to me that that's the color I want! :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I personally ordered the Onyx because the carbon metallic black looked too much like glitter and paint rock chips to me. //opinion though

·
Registered
698 Posts
Having owned Terrains with both black paints, I can say that the carbon black is the nicest. To me it seemed to look green-ish in sunlight, although I'm not much for keeping my vehicles showroom-shined.

In terms of scratch resistance, I can't say one is better than the other. My carbon black had little micro-scratches all over it and I had never hand washed it or anything more than spray it at a diy car wash. The only wash it ever got was the initial dealership wash the day I picked it up.

My onyx is no better it seems, but it has been waxed (it was a showroom model as I found out after I bought it).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts