GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello I am a fool that has probably gotten in over his head but I need help with a problem

so it started with trying to replace the blend door on my 2015 Terrain that controls the hot and cold air coming out. I have taken the dash out and gotten to the part then found another post on here about how I could have just taken the blower out and cut a hole in the box,(wish I would have seen it sooner)

long story short the HVAC controls don't work when you turn the key on and have the control box plugged into it but worst of all, the car won't start now. It'll crank but doesn't fire over. I also seem to be having a issue with getting it out of park when I turn the key on. I've looked for broken wires and blown fuses to no avail.

I know it's a long shot but if anyone has experience with this it's be greatly appreciated. I even plugged all the air bags etc back in that were unplugged when I disassembled the dash.

Okay so it does shift out of park, didn't realize that you had to have the battery connected to get it to do it. all the other problems remain.

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L FWD 179k miles
4,611 Posts
So you had absolutely no problems starting the vehicle before opening up the dash, and now the engine just cranks but won’t catch and start/run?

I’m thinking it’s coincidental because if it’s that close to starting it couldn’t be anything you’ve done?

But I’m just guessing.

Is this the infamous 2.4L engine?

·
Super Moderator
'16 Equinox LTZ AWD 3.6
1,731 Posts
Step one is a full system, all 4 code family scan to see what the computer system is reporting to give direction to diagnosis.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Step one is a full system, all 4 code family scan to see what the computer system is reporting to give direction to diagnosis.
I did do a code scan with the very basic code reader I have and it came back with a P135 and a p15a0. the first one indicates an ignition issue and the second an open fuel economy mode switch error. I've checked all the fuses related to the ignition system as that seems like the most likely problem and they call came back fine. the Relays seemed fine too though I might try swapping them out with other relays to see if I can get life out of it.

I'm still puzzled as to how the HVAC isn't working either as I'd think those two systems aren't related.

·
Registered
08 LS AWD Summit white(SOLD), 07 Torrent FWD Black, 05 Pursuit Sedan, '16 F150 XLT Sport Blue Flame
67 Posts
If the second gens are similar to the first gens, which they very well could be, check the ground by the passenger side kick panel fuse panel. IIRC when i did the heater core on my '08 there was like two or three grounds that I had to disconnect; that was one of them and there was two more (**i think) that I had to remove on the main steel dash support. One is at the fuse panel and the other i think is up in the steering column area or close to it towards the drivers side.

It sounds like the BCM might not be communicating with the ECM, so check all the easily accessible electrical connections to anything and everything you disconnected.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so after calling a mobile mechanic who diagnosed the problem as carbon on the valves and seeing the valves not really moving through the intake when the crank was turned and removing the valve cover I've finally found out what the issue is, the rocker arms have exited the chat apparently, well half of them have anyway. One of them was broken entirely in half. I'm not sure what to do at this point if anything. Do I rebuild the head,(haven't had much luck finding kits to do that), or do I replace the head entirely?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts