GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anyone has taken their Equinox through the car wash, and if so, whether the equipment on the car wash damages the antenna on the back of the roof.

I will hand wash, but there are times when I don't have the time or access to a hose.

If anyone can let me know if it is all right to use a car wash that would be great to know.

Thanks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My wife takes her nox through the touchless automatic carwash weekly, no probles at all. Never go through the ones where they have the rotating brushes. Stick with the touchless
or hand wash only.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes I have a problem ,its when the dryer hit the antenna,«in the shopping center underground parking.
Why they did not install an antenna like the silvarado?

·
Registered
163 Posts
We have had ours thru the touchless car was maybe 20 times and no visable damage to the antenna or anything else.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Not to discourage anyone but I work in the car wash equipment industry and while "brush" type automatic car washes are the worst on a cars' finish, the touchless ones aren't real good either. Also automatics can be quite expensive as well. My experience is that the average cost is around $6-$8 while I can thoroughly clean my vehicle for $4, including the floor mats at a wand wash.

They trade off the brush action with harsh cleaners and ultra high pressure which also beats on the finish. Some recycle water as well and that's not good.

Yes people are often too busy to hand wash a vehicle but the most effective way to safely clean your vehicle is at a modern wand wash and then hand dry it with a soft towel or chamois. The antenna will not be an issue then as well. In the areas that use road salt & sand in the winter try avoiding the foam brush on your paint in the winter, due to residual sand and grit left in the brush. It acts like fine sand paper on your finish. If you do want to use the brush then clean it first, wash the car with the wand first and then use the brush.

Don't forget to wash the door jambs and wheel wells which many touchless systems miss altogether.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Be nice to find a wand wash in the city of Montreal. Look as a might, I am unable to find one in this city!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Seveniron said:
Be nice to find a wand wash in the city of Montreal. Look as a might, I am unable to find one in this city!
Wow! Considering how much equipment we ship to distributors in the province of Quebec you would think there would be many in Montreal. Here in the "Peg" we have quite a few wand washes. You should insist on more in your area and thus it may give us more business. ;D

The other option is to wash it in your driveway with a garden hose during the summer. That's the best scenario there is.

We also had a real problem in Minneapolis MN. finding a wand wash for the Nox when we were there recently.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I live in a town house with an underground garage which is too dark, plus not enough space to really do anything efficiently. I find it very strange that there are not any in this city. Perhaps it has something to do with water taxes or creating employment for these hand wash places. I have 3 in my area, but none of them do a great job in my opinion.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Somewhere here there is a post about a "Shark Fin" antenna. That might be worth considering if you're concerned.

·
Registered
830 Posts
wrover said:
i take my nox 2010 ltz thru a brush wash and haven't had any problems in over 7 washes.
Same here... Touchless did not wash at all... Prefer a dirty truck than going into a touch less...

I do a buffing and a wax every year to compensate the washes...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts