GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one else having this problem. Both the wife and my keys have the issue. We'll go to turn it on and all ACC turn on, but car won't even attempt to start...like security is enabled or something.

Not sure how we finally get it to work but we'll jiggle the steering wheel, take key out, put back in, hit brake, etc and then sometimes after several tries it will finally start.

What gives?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Scooby24 said:
Any one else having this problem. Both the wife and my keys have the issue. We'll go to turn it on and all ACC turn on, but car won't even attempt to start...like security is enabled or something.

Not sure how we finally get it to work but we'll jiggle the steering wheel, take key out, put back in, hit brake, etc and then sometimes after several tries it will finally start.

What gives?
Take it back to the dealer, of course the'll say nothing is wrong...lol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,537 Posts
Or it won't act up at the dealer.
There is definately something wrong. Can you leave the car there overnight? I have that luxury that I can leave my car(s) at the dealer for however long it takes to find the problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GARYD said:
Or it won't act up at the dealer.
There is definately something wrong. Can you leave the car there overnight? I have that luxury that I can leave my car(s) at the dealer for however long it takes to find the problem.
We could, but I doubt they'd reproduce it. I see it about once every 2-3 weeks. I have no idea how to reproduce it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,537 Posts
I thought it happened often. I hate intermittent problems....especially electrical.

I had a car that had a problem the dealer couldn't figure out and my indy couldn't figure it out either and he had it for a week. Ended up just selling the POS.

My other car has this humming sound, it started out low and kept getting louder. My wife doesn't notice it, the dealer says everything sounds normal and my indy doesn't seem to hear it either. It's driving me crazy. I drive it the most, the others don't so maybe that's why they don't hear it. The car drives fine and there are no other issues.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry to bump an old thread. This still happens on periodically. The last time it happened we tried everything. Jiggling steering wheel, pulling key in and out, hitting the brake and shifting to neutral and back in. Seems there is no rhyme or reason why it will start working again. Can't reproduce on demand so we still haven't taken it to the dealership. Is anyone else seeing this or am I still the only one?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,772 Posts
Scooby24 said:
Sorry to bump an old thread. This still happens on periodically. The last time it happened we tried everything. Jiggling steering wheel, pulling key in and out, hitting the brake and shifting to neutral and back in. Seems there is no rhyme or reason why it will start working again. Can't reproduce on demand so we still haven't taken it to the dealership. Is anyone else seeing this or am I still the only one?
I would recommend contacting your local dealership for more assistance. I can also look into this for you with your VIN. Please feel free to keep me posted either way. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Scooby24 said:
Sorry to bump an old thread. This still happens on periodically. The last time it happened we tried everything. Jiggling steering wheel, pulling key in and out, hitting the brake and shifting to neutral and back in. Seems there is no rhyme or reason why it will start working again. Can't reproduce on demand so we still haven't taken it to the dealership. Is anyone else seeing this or am I still the only one?
It happen to me today nothing was working...like no power ??? no light was coming on...after 15 to 30 sec (not sure for the time but it was less then 1 minute )all power came back!! like self reboot ??it sounded like that.... it eject the cd and time and date was reset??
my phone was not reconise anymore very weird...i will contact dealer next week .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well it's happening a lot more frequently now and it's taking longer to get it to do something which is good and bad. Good because it's reproduceable and bad because I'm concerned we could get stranded somewhere and not be able to turn it back on.

When we turn the ignition all the lights go out like it wants to start...it just never does. Just sits there. Guess I'll be dropping it off with the dealer in the next few weeks. Might as well have them figure out what's going on with the engine chatter as well that everyone seems to have.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
246 Posts
Do you have remote start?

These cars have a feature that putting the ingnition to the Start position to crank does not automatically allow cranking. This is so that it wont engage the starter when the vehicle is already running. I do not know how they implemented this, but I would guess that the service shop would have procedures to check it out. There is some logic, in a module or the PCM to act as a relay, that if there are engine RPMs over 300rpm for example it wont engage the starter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
2011LT2 said:
Do you have remote start?

These cars have a feature that putting the ingnition to the Start position to crank does not automatically allow cranking. This is so that it wont engage the starter when the vehicle is already running. I do not know how they implemented this, but I would guess that the service shop would have procedures to check it out. There is some logic, in a module or the PCM to act as a relay, that if there are engine RPMs over 300rpm for example it wont engage the starter.
I do, and now that you say this it does make sense it might have something to do with it. I've noticed a slight delay turning the key to it actually turning over and suspected it was checking security, but could see that it might have something to do with remote start.

And now that you mention it, total common sense thing to try would be to try and remote start it when the key isn't working. That would definitely keep us from getting stranded.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
well it did it again :angryfire: when it happen i was not able to get the key out !!!when i pop-up the hood all the lights came back ,and like before date and hour was reset and cd eject .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,772 Posts
Scooby24 said:
Well it's happening a lot more frequently now and it's taking longer to get it to do something which is good and bad. Good because it's reproduceable and bad because I'm concerned we could get stranded somewhere and not be able to turn it back on.

When we turn the ignition all the lights go out like it wants to start...it just never does. Just sits there. Guess I'll be dropping it off with the dealer in the next few weeks. Might as well have them figure out what's going on with the engine chatter as well that everyone seems to have.
I would be happy to look into this for you. In order to do so, I will need some more specific information from you. If you could please send me your full name, address, phone number, the VIN for the vehicle, and current mileage, I will be able to take further steps. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact me directly. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,772 Posts
Wind said:
well it did it again :angryfire: when it happen i was not able to get the key out !!!when i pop-up the hood all the lights came back ,and like before date and hour was reset and cd eject .
I would be happy to look into this for you as well. Please feel free to send me the same information that I asked for above via private message and I will be able to take further steps. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Serivce.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
239 Posts
Never had this probelm with my Terrain but I did have something like this with my newest Canyon.
When the vehicle would get hot(like after a mid length or longer drive on a hot day), the vehicle wouldn't be able to restart. It wouldn't even try to turn over, it would just click.
The problem was determined to be the wire that sends info from the transmission to the vehicle's main computer.
When the vehicle would get warm enough, this wire was losing contact, the sensor on the transmission knew that the vehicle was in park but it wasn't sharing that info with the computer so the computer was preventing the starter from fireing when the key was turned.
This took 5 failures to figure out and also ended up with me getting a new starter installed when they thought that was the problem after 4th tow in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Problem resolved :thumb:
it was a loose batterie connection duh...
i had install from the dealer a brake controler ,they forget to scew it tight. :thumbdown:
for the good part they give me 3 free oil change for the trouble.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
WOW talk about timely, this has happened to me for the past year! Dealership keeps sending me home saying nothing is wrong with it. Finally got fed up enough with it TODAY that I called GMC customer service and made a formal complaint that I'm constantly stranded and having to get it towed. They replaced the keys, then replaced the starter and nothing changed. Now they will replace the body module so hopefully that will help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,772 Posts
gfunk5 said:
WOW talk about timely, this has happened to me for the past year! Dealership keeps sending me home saying nothing is wrong with it. Finally got fed up enough with it TODAY that I called GMC customer service and made a formal complaint that I'm constantly stranded and having to get it towed. They replaced the keys, then replaced the starter and nothing changed. Now they will replace the body module so hopefully that will help.
We WERE a loyal GMC family but not so sure anymore after all of these issues.
I am glad to see that you are working with your dealer and customer assistance towards resolution. Please continue to keep me posted. If you have further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me via private message with your case number. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top