GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2015 GMC Terrain SLE w AWD 2.4L
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My new to me 2015 GMC Terrain SLE with AWD came to me with mismatched tires.

The rear are brand new Toyo Open Country A/T (all terrain) 265/65/R17 tires.
The two fronts are worn out mismatched brands.
IF I cannot find the A/T tires, would other Toyo open country tires work? I know perfect world I should replace all 4 tired, but money is an issue and I would hate to waste 2 new rear tires.

·
Registered
878 Posts
265/65R17 is way too wide. 225/65R17 is the original size.

Mixing tires isn't that big of a deal as long as they are the same type ( all season, all terrain, etc.) and close in tread depth. People do it all the time.

I would be more concerned about that 265/65R17 size

·
Registered
2022 Equinox RS AWD, 1.5T, Iron Gray Metallic, Build Date 12/10/21 Purchased 12/17/21
349 Posts
Many tire dealers will not sell you 2 tires, I had that issue on my 2013 Nox. I had a tire with tread separation and the other 3 were pretty worn. They only had two tires my size in stock so I had to put my donut spare on. The larger difference is size causes the AWD to disable itself when you use the spare.

If your rear tires are in fact "brand new", then whomever sold you the car did you no favor by selling you the car with such a mismatch. If you can find the same brand and model tire, they should match up with the rears. But they caution that different manufacture dates even among same model tire "could" cause rotational speed differences great enough to cause issues.

Theoretically, different tread types will not have equal traction properties, throwing off the AWD. Realistically, how big a deal this is I'm unsure but most reputable tire sources are in agreement on this.

The cost of damage to the transfer case etc is far greater than the cost of tires. Perhaps you can find a tire shop that would give you a decent deal to take the rear "new" tires in trade?

·
Registered
2015 Equinox LT 2.4L AWD
288 Posts
I have been told that all tires should be the same size in an AWD vehicle, otherwise you just shoot yourself on the foot. The differences on tire size will create problems for the gears. That is why the tire shops can shave the tires to match the existing ones.

·
Registered
228 Posts
My wife's 2010 Honda Pilot with AWD must have all four tires replaced at the same time but my 2020 AWD Equinox does not seem to have the same limitation. The Equinox manual does caution that if the donut spare is installed then the AWD function will be disabled. Her Pilot has a full size spare. I believe my 2020 has a different AWD system than the earlier models so that may be a difference.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts