GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to buy a different set of rims for my terrain that is on the way. I want to keep the weight as low as possible and be around the same as the factory rim. I have asked a few ebayers who have them for sale and I am getting numbers all over the place. I've been told 22lbs, 28lbs, 35lbs, etc. I know the tire weighs 27lbs ( according to Tireracks site ) so if someone weighs the rim and tire we can just subtract the tire weight.

Thanks,
Donny

·
Registered
306 Posts
1st of all, I do understand "un-sprung weight" and I can see trying to keep it to a minimum on a sports car or a high performance car. My question is why worry about it on a crossover SUV? Seems to me the way these vehicles are going to be used, a few extra lbs of un-sprung weight per wheel/tire should be no big deal.

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
RSchleder said:
1st of all, I do understand "un-sprung weight" and I can see trying to keep it to a minimum on a sports car or a high performance car. My question is why worry about it on a crossover SUV? seems to me the way these vehicles are going to be used, a few extra days of un-sprung weight per wheel/tire should be no big deal.
Maybe it's a matter of " every little bit helps". If you can save a few lbs. here and there, why not do it. Same reason why people put cold-air intakes on their vehicles - even if it is a Nissan Leaf (just kidding - I know it is total electric). People, in general, always want more.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I can understand more if it makes some kind of sense, like getting more for your money, better performance, better looking mod, etc. However, all the cases I'm familiar with, the lighter the wheel, the more it costs! So, why then, spend more money for a lighter wheel for a mid sized SUV?? ::)

PS- or a cold air intake on these vehicles??

·
Registered
441 Posts
lighter the wheel, the less it takes to turn it......saves gas man....

·
Registered
441 Posts
no way the tire weighs 27lbs.....

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
gar187er said:
lighter the wheel, the less it takes to turn it......saves gas man....
So, that's why Ricers use cross-drilled rotors - to save weight/gas. (LOL - I know they do it to look cool and dissapate heat better - probably in that order).

·
Registered
306 Posts
Yeah, using a lighter wheel to get better mileage would have a payback of probably 10-15 years. Now that's a great savings. ::)

·
Registered
441 Posts
RSchleder said:
Yeah, using a lighter wheel to get better mileage would have a payback of probably 10-15 years. Now that's a great savings. ::)
hes not buying wheels to save money, but its a nice extra bonus to adding to the appearance....

also most ricers dont care about cross drilled/slotted rotors....

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm looking for a different rim for the terrain because I ordered an SLT-2 with the 4cyl and feel that the machined finish 18's just don’t go along with the chrome. I drive a lot for work and would like to keep the MPG as high as possible. Whether I stick with an 18 or were to upsize the rim to say a 19 or 20 it would be nice to pick out a rim that is close to the factory 18 weight as possible. I am not going to go out and buy Monoblock HRE's for my Terrain but would spend a little extra for a nice looking wheel that is reasonable in weight. As I began looking at rims it amazed me how much they vary in weight from one manufacture to another within the same size.

gar187er The tire most def weighs 27 lbs if you have the michelins and 30 lbs if you have the hankooks

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Hankook&tireModel=Optimo+H725&partnum=355TR8H725&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=GMC&autoYear=2010&autoModel=Terrain&autoModClar=SLT AWD&tab=Specs

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Latitude+Tour&partnum=355TR8LT&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=GMC&autoYear=2010&autoModel=Terrain&autoModClar=SLT AWD&tab=Specs

·
Registered
441 Posts
just seems like an astronomical jump in weight through the sizes.... :-\

1 - 11 of 11 Posts