GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got an LS, they don't come with roof rails, however, I will get a kayak next summer...
Can I install the stock roof rails, the ones that go on the length of the vehicle? I cant find them as an accessory on gmparts websites.
If yes, are they easy to install or I need to take apart the upholstery ?
Thanks.

·
Registered
10,522 Posts
canadian_bacon said:
So I got an LS, they don't come with roof rails, however, I will get a kayak next summer...
Can I install the stock roof rails, the ones that go on the length of the vehicle? I cant find them as an accessory on gmparts websites.
Thanks.
I think it can all be done by removing the rubber strip from the top of the roof - no need to remove interior headliner. Unfortunately, the factory roof rack rails does NOT run the full length of the roof - actually it is fairly short. Personally, I wish it wish it were longer.

If you do a search on the forum, you can find full instructions on the process, and suggested places to buy them.

Rit

·
Registered
361 Posts
canadian_bacon said:
Thanks.
i think it might be less expensive if you went with yakima or a thule system.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I would have to agree with Eric. Aftermarket would be best. You would have to purchase additional adapters after you install the factory rails and crossbars.

Joe

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, good to know I can install them without any problems. I guess I have to take off the rubber/plastic strip, put the rails in, screw them in, get the short filling strips and i'm good to go.
I like the stock look and I don't want to be taking on/off any other aftermarket things.
I will start looking for a totaled nox in a few junkyards around me, I will just take one off if they are ok/somewhat ok.
I wonder if the 2010/11 fit the 12 (probably yes)..and I wonder is the pre 2010 fit my 2012.
Found both of them for $400, I am sure I can get them cheaper.

How come the dealer does not sell these?

·
Registered
361 Posts
canadian_bacon said:
Thanks guys, good to know I can install them without any problems. I guess I have to take off the rubber/plastic strip, put the rails in, screw them in, get the short filling strips and i'm good to go.
I like the stock look and I don't want to be taking on/off any other aftermarket things.
I will start looking for a totaled nox in a few junkyards around me, I will just take one off if they are ok/somewhat ok.
I wonder if the 2010/11 fit the 12 (probably yes)..and I wonder is the pre 2010 fit my 2012.
Found both of them for $400, I am sure I can get them cheaper.

the dealer does sell these.

Side Rails: $122.14 x 2 = $244.28
Cross Rails: $84.08 (pair)
Rail covers: $39.48 x 2 = $78.96
Rear covers: $11.28 x 2 = $22.56
Roof Moldings: $19.72 for the Right side, $20.58 for the Left side = $40.30
Molding Clips: $2.60 x 2 = $5.20
Rail Clips: $2.71 x 2 = $5.42

Subtotal: $480.80
Shipping & Handling: ?
Tax for CA (9.75%) = $46.88

This **** luggage rack is gonna end up being nearly $700!
=========================

Like i said go thule or yakima. the $700 is off a bit because the cross rails are over $140 for the set.

And a junk yard wont normally have the cross rails.

·
Registered
289 Posts
canadian_bacon said:
They aren't an "add-on". That's like saying why doesn't the dealer sell leather seats in a cloth only terrain. They will, it's just not a standard item and it's ordered as a repair item. You can order any part you want for the Terrain/Nox. You just have to go to the parts counter and tell them what you need. The problem is making sure you get everything since they are sold individually.

Aftermarket is probably the best way to go.

·
Registered
142 Posts
2010 - 2012 Rails and Cross rails from the GMC Terrain and Equinox both fit. As AMG Eric has mentioned, the cost add up quickly. You can order them from a gmparts etailer or your local GMC/Chevy Dealership.

Joe

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, I am saving this up. It will come handy in the future. This is one of those when you wished you would have spent the money on the higher trim...

·
Registered
1 Posts
i bought a '12 nox ls with no roof rack. bought the rails from a junkyard crashed '10 LT ($100 for parts and 35 for shipping) and crossbars from shopchevyparts ($140), only parts it didnt include was the channel molding for the front, so I took the original long molding strip and cut it to fit. will post pics soon

·
Registered
1 Posts
I need the side rails for my 2013 Equinox LS as well. Could you let me know the junk yard contact info where you got your roof rails from please?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Other option is to look into junk yards, especially online ones. You can get extremely lucky and find the crossbars in which the staff may not realize is an "extra" and include it for free.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts