GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

Can I find out if the dealer ordered my equinox?

20K views 33 replies 11 participants last post by  bballr4567 
#1 ·
I ordered my 2010 Equinox V6 AWD LTZ on February 13th or at least I think I did. I added a few features such as the power sun roof, the trailer hitch and rear seat entertainment system.

Since I ordered the car, the salesman at the dealer has called me several times to let me know that he has several other models available, however, they are different trim levels, different motor and don't have the DVD system. Each time I tell him that I want the car I ordered. I then ask about the status of my order, and he gives me vague comments about how the car will be ordered. I press him whether the dealer ordered the car, and he gets even more vague. I don't think they ordered the car.

I don't want to make waves, and ask to speak to his boss to find out if the car was ordered, but given the lag time between ordering and delivering, I really don't want to wait longer than necessary because the dealer didn't order the car. My concern is that I got a pretty good deal ($100 over invoice since we were able to get the invoice from a cadillac dealership where my father works), and the dealer really doesn't want to sell me the car at this price, and is not going to order it.

With all that in mind, I just want to know if there is a way to find out if the car was ordered by contacting GM? My sense is no, but I thought I'd check.

See less See more
Discussion starter · #3 ·
bballr4567 said:
Tell him to give you the order code or you will walk. Itll be a 6 digit alphanumeric number. If they dont have an order code then they didnt order a vehicle for you.

For example mine is NTFG3P.
Thanks. That is what I thought. I was hoping to avoid ultimatums, but my guess is that I have no choice.

Discussion starter · #6 ·
jmc_tx said:
Posted this on other thread. I waited 4 weeks and Dealer did not have an order number. My salesman kept getting the runaround, so I decided to take matters in my own hands. So...went to the Chevrolet website and sent an inquiry to Customer Assistance. To my surprise, they emailed and called me back within 24 hours. I don't think I would have gotten anywhere without contacting Chevrolet direct. My salesman worked with a Chevrolet representative and found that the order was not officially accepted. I now have an order number NTFPMQ and the status code of 1100. Hopefully it will be here in 4 weeks. Salesman initially quoted wait time of 6-8 weeks. However, I think if I hadn't intervened, I would still be here waiting with no order number.

Good luck!
Thanks for this information. This is what I was hoping to find out. I have not called the dealer since I wanted to give them a bit of time. However, if after calling tomorrow, they don't have an order number and status, I will go to Chevrolet directly.

I hope that they did order this. Quite frankly, I am trying to give GM a chance, and I hope they come through. The last car I ordered was a Honda Pilot 7 years ago when it was the hottest thing going. I had to order that, and had no problems whatsoever. It arrived exactly on the day I wanted. For this car, I had wanted to get the CR-V, but thought I'd give the Equinox a look, and I am impressed. I just hope their customer service equals the quality of the car I think I'm purchasing. I hope the dealers get the message. This is a serious time for GM, and it must come through.

Discussion starter · #8 ·
Just an update.

I called my dealership today, and got more run around. I was told there is no order number. I told him there absolutely is an order number, and the salesman told me I have my information wrong. I then asked for a production date (my father that does work for the local Cadillac dealer told me that a production date is issued shortly after an order is received). The salesman told me that there is no production date.

I asked him if the car order went through, and he said yes, and not to worry.

I'd like to not worry, but my current car has had its run. (It's a 1998 Chrysler Sebring - enough said) So I'm going to have to do more investigating. I'd just like to know the car was ordered rather than be told in a few weeks that something is wrong, but they have this other Equinox if I'm interested. At that point, I would have lost several weeks.

We'll see.

Discussion starter · #15 ·
Well, I really don't trust the dealer, but they did confirm to my contact at the Cadillac dealer where my father works that the Equinox was ordered. Although, I did put a call into GM, and they were very concerned about this. They are extremely helpful, and mindful of customer service. They wanted to contact the dealer directly, but I told them to hold off for a bit as I try to work through this. We were told by the dealer that we would have a production date on Tuesday of next week. If we don't, then I will certainly have GM handle it. I really would like to work this out with the dealer. Believe it or not, I'm a lawyer, but I try to avoid using that in my personal dealings. Plus, I would like to maintain a good relationship with a dealer. We'll see. If I do not get the information I want by Tuesday, then they will have to deal with me as a lawyer, and not a customer. Also, GM will follow-up with them.

As for the actual car, I ordered the LTZ, V6 AWD. It has the rear seat entertainment system, power roof and trailer package. The Equinox is coming with the 18" machined aluminum wheels. We were given an invoice from the cadillac dealer for this vehicle for $33,416.10. The sticker was $34,905, and the price I was given was $33,516. I would be curious if others have a different invoice price as i understand that this can vary be region, and even by dealer. The truth is that we are not doing that much better than sticker price, but that is the drawback to ordering a popular car.

I don't mind waiting a bit as I'd rather get the car in good weather. I don't, however, like being played.

I'll keep you all posted. Thanks to everyone for their feedback and ammunition, should I need it.

Discussion starter · #25 ·
Well, I finally got the order number today. The dealer did not have a production date, but said my Equinox should be delivered in about 6 weeks. This would be 9 weeks from my order date. That isn't too bad, but my sense is that the dealer was trying to sell me something other than what I ordered, and when they realized I was not going to take any other Equinox, they had no choice but to finally place my order.

Part of me wants to call GM with the order number to confirm, but I'll try to be patient.

We'll see.

Discussion starter · #27 ·
bballr4567 said:
You might be waiting 8-12 weeks depending on the dealer allocation.

That is my sense as well, but I hope it is sooner.

Go to the camarotracking.com site and enter in your order number. Itll send up updates every wednesday until you TPW and then you get a daily update. Really cool!
Thanks for the link to this site. I will have to check it out.

Discussion starter · #28 ·
bballr4567. Thanks for the link for camarotracker.

I entered my order number and found out that I have the 1100 code. With that in mind I have two questions related to the code and one general question.

First, is the 1100 code consistent with an order that was supposed to have been placed now over three weeks ago?

Second, from the time of the 1100 code, how long have people waited for delivery?

My other more general question is, does anyone know when the 2011 Equinox is coming out? If I have to wait 12 weeks from today, which gets me into June, and the 2011 come out in July or August, perhaps it makes sense to wait for the 2011. Just curious as to anyone's thoughts

Discussion starter · #29 ·
SnowItch:

Thanks so much for those links. The information is extremely interesting/frustrating.

Call me naive, but I just assumed I ordered the Equinox, and would have to wait in line for it to be made, and then sent to my dealer. The allocation issue is as mentioned above interesting/frustrating. I assume other manufacturers use this process as well.

I will see if the dealer will provide its allocation. If I had known about this, I would have asked before ordering and giving a down payment. My hope is that based on what I read since I ordered an AWD V6 LTZ with entertainment system, tow package and sun roof that this is considered a more loaded model, and GM may move it through the system quicker.

We'll see. Again, SnowItch, thanks, you have been extremely helpful.

Discussion starter · #30 ·
Thought I'd provide a brief update. With the information provided by Snowitch and from Camarotracking.com, we called the dealer with the order number and started asking about allocation. The salesman denied knowing anything about allocation or order numbers, and said don't worry, he's never seen a car take longer than 8 weeks to deliver. We just told him that it really seemed like there is no way the car will be delivered in 8 weeks from ordering, and that we were concerned since he didn't know the allocation. He said don't worry.

Well, later that day, we got a phone call from the salesman, telling me that they had 4 allocations and that we will put in my car for one of his 4 allocations this Thursday, and the car will be built shortly thereafter. I said that it appears that the lead time for the TPW is 3-4 weeks after the allocation is placed into GM, and then the delivery is 2-3 weeks after the vehicle is made. I live in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He, of course, denied that and said the car will be here shortly. I'll let everyone know if I receive an update in the next 10 days as promised by my salesman.

It's funny to me that at this time, he knows that I have some understanding of the system, and he is still not providing completely honest information. However, having the information from Snowitch and Camarotracking.com has been invaluable. I really appreciate it.

Discussion starter · #33 ·
Thought I would provide another update. On March 18th, the salesperson at the dealership called to tell me that on the following Wednesday, the dealer would use one of its four allocations for my car (which was 5 weeks after I gave them a deposit). On March 31st, I got an e-mail from camarotracking.com that my status code was up to 2000. I then called the dealer to just see what was going on, and he faxed me the order placed to GM, and on the form it said the status code was 3100. I'm not sure what this means, but hope that it is accurate as it means that it is moving along.

A bit frustrating as it is now 7 weeks since I ordered the car, and the dealer swore we would have the car in 8 weeks. In fact, the dealer said that they never saw a car that takes longer than 8 weeks. Oh well. I now know that just wasn't accurate. I just hope that my equinox is here by the end of May.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.