GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Recently I had to disassemble the entire cargo area to find a leak in my 2018 Terrain. Now that I've resolved that issue, I cannot for the life of me figure out where the heck this goes. The only thing I could find anywhere on line was an eBay listing for this calling it "GMC Terrain Trunk Cargo Spare Tire Wheel Floor Insulator Pad."

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Font Wood Tool Auto part Gun barrel

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L FWD 170.5k miles
4,085 Posts
I thought it might’ve fallen off the Fuel Gauge in the Instrument Cluster, but it’s the wrong color🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
The parts picture appears to have two anchoring holes while yours may only have one, but I would try to see if those holes lined up with some kind of plastic anchors ... and maybe look on vertical surfaces first? Maybe it bends symmetrically around the inner surface of the wheel well and those cutouts fit around some symmetrical protrusions?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The parts picture appears to have two anchoring holes while yours may only have one, but I would try to see if those holes lined up with some kind of plastic anchors ... and maybe look on vertical surfaces first? Maybe it bends symmetrically around the inner surface of the wheel well and those cutouts fit around some symmetrical protrusions?
It’s got the same three holes. And believe me, I’ve played Tetris with this thing all over the place, it just doesn’t seem to fit anywhere. I’m hoping someone with a similar model year can pop their cargo area open and see if they can find it and send me a picture.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
@VisualReversal : This thing is fairly large. If you pulled everything out and don’t remember seeing it ... maybe it was attached to the backside of something you removed, and became detached ... making it look like a separate piece when it really isn’t?

Maybe upload a picture of the wheel well area?

·
Registered
2018 Terrain Denali 2.0T FWD
198 Posts
I don't really want to tear my cargo area apart in my '18 Terrain for a "just because" situation, for fear of introducing a currently non-existant rattle. But...

I did remove the cargo floor and cheapo tray above the spare tire. Using a light I peered through any openings in the plastic well enclosure and didn't notice anything but painted surfaces. While looking around I did notice a narrow and deep depression in both of the corners of the well enclosure towards the end closest to the rear seats. Using a tape measure, the spacing of the two depressions appears to closely match the distance between the holes in the piece your photo. I didn't crawl into the vehicle to peer down the two depressions to see if there was any hardware (such as screws) at the bottom, but perhaps this gives you some clue where it would go. Just a WAG.

·
Registered
2020 GMC Terrain SLT 1.5 liter
175 Posts
Hello,

Recently I had to disassemble the entire cargo area to find a leak in my 2018 Terrain. Now that I've resolved that issue, I cannot for the life of me figure out where the heck this goes. The only thing I could find anywhere on line was an eBay listing for this calling it "GMC Terrain Trunk Cargo Spare Tire Wheel Floor Insulator Pad."

Any help would be greatly appreciated. View attachment 18084
Either way you are going to have to take it apart again to put it back in. Once you start taking it apart I think it will be apparent it goes. That is what I would do anyways, I would want it back in where it is supposed to be.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Who fixed the leak? If it was someone else, maybe they erroneously threw that piece in there (and it’s from another vehicle)?

I find it hard to believe that, in such a small area, it isn’t obvious where that piece goes. And if it’s just a piece of felt (or even a light sponge), it shouldn’t be anywhere near the bottom where it could potentially soak up water and cause rust to form, so I’d be narrowing my search to the topmost area, or maybe it sits in there vertically so that only it’s narrow width is near the bottom (where water might collect).

Go to a Dealership or used car lot, pretend to be a buyer, and start tearing apart the spare tire area. LOL!

Oh - and don’t forget to check the air pressure on that spare tire, too, while you’re in there (I’m talking about your vehicle, not the one on the car lot). It’s starting to get cold and the pressure might be low...

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
To me it looks like a pad that goes under the spare tire to give it some cushion and snug it down so as not to move around and make any noises.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts