GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

Can a bad wheel bearing make a clunking noise under slow speed....

9K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  jbettega31 
#1 ·
Hello all, got a couple questions. Been trying to track down a clunking noise from the rear of my 2014 AWD.

When driving slow, as the vehicle hits minor imperfections in the parking lot or bumps in the parking lot, it makes a clunk in the rear. To me it sounded like the shock was going bad and the clunk was from the play in the shock hitting as they compressed. Replaced both shocks and still nothing. Can a bad rear wheel bearing cause this clunking even if i lifted the vehicle up and didnt have any play when i tried moving the tire side to side?

I will mention the rear was causing feathering on the rear tires making them noisey sounding like a wheel bearing. Rotating the back wheels to the front caused the tire noise to travel to the front however i still did hear the wheel noise in the rear just not as loud, the front tires were feathered slightly also so i dont think im getting any wheel bearing noise.

My second question is im getting new tires installed and an alignment, i read i will need a kit for the rear so the camber can be adjusted. This nut is the only thing i can find that seems to be what i need. Can anyone confirm this? https://www.carid.com/moog/rear-low...singleid=21644221&url=14076775#specifications

Thank you!

See less See more
#2 ·
Stabilizer bar end links or bushings could be warn out. I had a rear clunk in my old Explorer and it was a broken end link knocking into the lower control arm causing the noise.

#3 · (Edited)
My second question is im getting new tires installed and an alignment, i read i will need a kit for the rear so the camber can be adjusted. This nut is the only thing i can find that seems to be what i need. Can anyone confirm this? https://www.carid.com/moog/rear-low...singleid=21644221&url=14076775#specifications

Thank you!
The rear camber bolts I have seen are a full cam style bolt with nut and washers and/or large and small tab.
Use the one that your alignment shop recommends, they are doing the work and will warranty the results.

Very important, make sure they use a torque wrench on the cam bolts.
Do not over torque, torque specs in package with cam bolt instructions.
See good thread with pics in link below.

https://www.equinoxforum.net/35-brakes-suspension-wheels-tires/11235-rear-alignment-bolts.html

#5 ·
Front wheel drive Caddy was clunking, but we ended up changing out the Wheel bearing hub assembly and the CV shaft. So I'm not sure what part actually fixed the clunking :shrug:

I can't help ya with ur 2nd question.

Good luck and please keep us updated on the outcome...:wink:

Reactions: kbz1960
#6 ·
I have never seen “ a rear kit “ for these units. See alignments done everyday.

Also suggest to check lift gate screw in rubber bumpers located at bottom corners of lift gate. Also lube the side lift gate latches and black “ blocks” about mid way on edges of lift gate opening with a gm recommendation of die electric grease. Not very much required.

#7 ·
I have never seen “ a rear kit “ for these units. See alignments done everyday.

Also suggest to check lift gate screw in rubber bumpers located at bottom corners of lift gate. Also lube the side lift gate latches and black “ blocks” about mid way on edges of lift gate opening with a gm recommendation of die electric grease. Not very much required.
Do you mean dielectric grease, for electrical connections or white lithium grease?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.