GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted more up-to-date car reliability information that included actual repair rates. So in late 2005 I started getting people together to make this possible. TrueDelta now updates actual repair frequencies, not just dots, four times a year, to provide results for new model quickly then track cars closely as they age.

The 2010 SRX is an all-new design, so no doubt people are very interested in seeing how many (or few) problems it has. We'd like to have a quick result for it, but this will depend on how soon enough owners sign up and participate.

Participants simply report repairs the month after they occur on a one-page survey. When there are no repairs, they simply report an approximate odometer reading four times a year, at the end of each quarter.

To encourage participation, participants receive full access to all results, not just those for the SRX, for free.

For the details, and to sign up to help out:

Car reliability research

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just got the car Wed. and two hours later got a warning code for check rear axel. Went to my
Chev dealer and they could get no infor on it with the new wired in diagnostics they have, you
have to take it to a Cadillac Dealer which is three hours away. I guess the only people that can
fix these cars is Cadillac. The car only has 400 miles on it. For almost 50K this is frustrating.
Dorsey
[email protected]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well the dealer got the filter but the fluid they want them to use did not come in, figures. Well had it
eleven days now, maybe i'll get to drive it this year sometime. I was going to buy a Lincoln but. The car
is beautiful but to many gadgets for a normal person. Even my newest Ferrari has less gadgets. See
what happens in the upcoming week.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Evidently they have a filter in the rear axle, never did hear of this unless it was on race cars. The pictures
show it next to the rear in the axle housing. Can't figure this unless the metal is soft in the ring and pinion
and are shaving off. For near 50K this sucks.
Dorsey

·
Registered
9 Posts
Put it in the shop yesterday, they changed the filter and read fluid and reprogramed the computer, there must be a bulletten out on
this. Went out today and drove about 20 miles and got the same warning service rear axle. Now this is really starting to piss me off.
Had the SRX 15 days now, it's the Performance Model with 20 inch wheels fully loaded. Nice car if I could go anywhere. According to
Cadillac this only happens on certain models.
Nobody seems to know where to go from here. Will update later.
Dorsey

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Was the Chevrolet dealer able to service it, or did you have to make the three-hour drive?

GM really should have been more prepared.

·
Registered
446 Posts
GM dealerships have always been the Thorn in GM's side IMHO... Fortunately I found a good one.

I'm interested to see the stats after a few months of the Toyota debacle. I've been using Mr. Karesh's web site for about 1 year now. I'm still not 100% convinced that the statistics have a very high probability rate due to the way Toyota and other foreign makers fix some recall issues. The Toyota dealerships are trained to fix issues during oil changes if possible without reporting them to the driver, so many drivers don't even know they had an issue. That is if they get it fixed before the owner has a noticeable issue. Where GM and Ford are usually very up front about known issues and quick to inform owners. You can see this even in the current gas peddle issue with Toyota, because it involves cars from 1999 forward. So Toyota's known about this issue for years, yet nothing has been done, and they didn't even have a so-called "fix" for it until after it became nightly news fodder. This is normal history for Toyota. They were even sued by the Japanese government a few years ago for NOT issuing required recalls on vehicles sold there! Doesn't give us much reason to trust them, does it?

Anyway, keep that in mind, and do go and enter data into this web site. It's good to know what is going on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The Chevey Dealer was able to fix the problem after they finally got hooked up with the new GM online tech support.
Seems like changing the rear axle filter and fluid was the trick. The reason I had the second problem was the fluid has
to be filled in a certain way, if it is 1/16th of an inch low it will still give you the warning light.
Went up to Atlantic City last weekend, had it up to 90mph and it road like a dream, plenty of power if you want to stick
your foot in it. Great in the snow, so I guess I'm happy for awhile. Also not to bad on gas milage.
Dorsey :)

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
a12632 said:
Just keep your fingers crossed ;D
You always have the lemon law.

·
Registered
136 Posts
No, Obama Healthcare :D

Glad the dealer resolved that rear axle problem for you. I'm in market for a vehicle soon and the SRX is very high on the list. Just did extended test drive. Very impressed in most areas. May I ask if you find the seats a bit hard? Both front and rear. Have you spent a long time in them during that drive u mention? Support holds up? Backaches...............?

Best wishes with the SRX!

MM

·
Registered
136 Posts
LOl...........but the Mexicans have no Union to protect them so they have to show up and do the job right or.....hasta la vista baby! Seriously, my new SRX window sticker says...."Parts content: 35% Canadian/US Mexico: 55% ,

Country of Origin: Engine , Mexico Transmission: USA

Final Assembly Point: Ramos Arizpe , CZ Mexico ( couple hundred miles from San Antonio, TX and the coast )

I don't have a big problem with the Mexican assembly if the workers well are trained by GM. Not that I don't want very much for the jobs to stay in my Country!! I'm only talking quality issues here, not politics. That's a whole other story...... ::)

MM

·
Registered
698 Posts
I hear what you're saying but did you realize that the Terrain and Equinox are both built in Ontario, Canada? So all three are built outside of 'your' country.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We've updated the results for the first-gen Cadillac SRX to include owner experiences through June 30, 2010. Other sources of car reliability information won't cover the more recent months until the summer or even fall of next year.

Repair frequencies, in terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2007: 144, worse than average

2006: 66, about average

2004: 191, worse than average

All three are based on very small sample sizes. On the site itself these results are asterisked and visible only to members.

We'll have further updates in November and February. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

I'd very much like to add the 2010 to the survey--just a matter of getting more owners involved.

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help:

Cadillac SRX reliability comparisons

·
Registered
136 Posts
Terrain said:
I hear what you're saying but did you realize that the Terrain and Equinox are both built in Ontario, Canada? So all three are built outside of 'your' country.

Good point, I didn't know of these, but heard of Yukons and others (Fords too) and honestly that's not my first choice either, no offense intended to my Canadian friends. I guess I'll just have to be happy that at least the corp profits for research & development stay in the USA. Would like the jobs, but...... Technology is also very critical in today's world. That's why I would never buy a foreign sled like Toyota or Nissan, even if some are now built in the USA! I always remember what my dad said about the "Big 3" being the Arsenal of Democracy in WW II. Without their tooling/manufacturing capacity we would all be talking Nazi......even Mexico! I think that's true still today. Finally, I do admit to a "blurring" of the lines, and getting more cloudy each year. That's not gonna change anytime soon. JIMHO

Back to the thread: Narg's comments about Toyota being pro-active with repairs just makes them better business people than GM, and will skew any reliability survey for sure. They should fess up while doing the repair. That's very sneaky when you accept a JD Power award smiling. I have sat at Lexus Dealer Service rooms ( a friend needed a lift) and you won't believe the problems they have! My SRX has been trouble- free and I'd put my SRX up against any of them !

MM

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We've updated the results for the Cadillac SRX to include owner experiences through September 30, 2010. Other sources of car reliability information won't cover the months since April until the summer or even fall of next year.

2007: 91, about average

2006: 129, worse than average

2004: 135, worse than average

All three are based on very small sample sizes, which likely explains the amount they've changed since just three months ago. On the site itself these results are asterisked and visible only to members.

We'll have further updates in February and May. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

Cadillac SRX reliability ratings and comparisons

·
Registered
15 Posts
mkaresh said:
We've updated the results for the first-gen Cadillac SRX to include owner experiences through June 30, 2010. Other sources of car reliability information won't cover the more recent months until the summer or even fall of next year.

2007: 144, worse than average

2006: 66, about average

2004: 191, worse than average

All three are based on very small sample sizes. On the site itself these results are asterisked and visible only to members.

We'll have further updates in November and February. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

I'd very much like to add the 2010 to the survey--just a matter of getting more owners involved.

Cadillac SRX reliability comparisons
This one was a big help for us. Thanks for sharing this important information that was added into our knowledge. As a newbie for this kind of forum, this was totally a big source of information. :D

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We've updated the results for the Cadillac SRX to include owner experiences through December 31, 2010. Unfortunately, still only stats for the first-generation SRX--not yet enough owners signed up for the current one.

2007: 84, about average

2006: 164, worse than average

2004: 193, worse than average

All three are based on very small sample sizes, which likely explains the amount they've changed since just three months ago. On the site itself these results are asterisked and visible only to members.

We'll have further updates in May and August. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

Cadillac SRX reliability ratings and comparisons

1 - 20 of 41 Posts