GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed out the cabin and air filters on my wife's 17 Nox 2.4 this afternoon. At roughly 32k miles, neither one was that bad, but I had changed the cabin filter once before and the HVAC is usually set to recirculate so that helps I'm sure. The air filter could have easily went to 50K miles, but this vehicle only sees urban and freeway driving, no gravel or dusty roads, so take that into account if your ride does. The airbox had some fine sand and one leaf in the bottom of it, I used a little hand vac to vacuum the sand out. This is an easy DIY job for even a semi-crippled up oldster like myself, a dealer tech may have removed the leaf from the airbox, but I highly doubt they would have taken the time to get the fine sand out. The inlet to the airbox is right behind the passenger side headlight, so I guess you could call it at least a semi-cold air intake, although I've never noticed really high under hood temps on this Nox 2.4 like I did on an 04 Bonneville SLE with the 3800. Used AC-Delco filters, will get to the oil and filter change in the next day or so.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
I’ve never replaced my air filter OR cabin filter! Still originals from the factory at 152k miles and almost 10 years!

I know, I know ... it’s poor form, and I’ll post a picture whenever I get around to replacing them. I actually had a replacement Fram Air Filter in my hand at Walmart a few weeks ago - figuring I’d change it right before my next long 900-mile each way trip, but I put it back when I realized the shelf price was misleading.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I change engine air filters at around 30k miles. Cabin filters get changed yearly, right after the spring pollen season dies down, is my routine.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I change engine air filters at around 30k miles. Cabin filters get changed yearly, right after the spring pollen season dies down, is my routine.
Interested in what you typically find in the bottom of your air-boxes, the waffle iron design does trap the fine sand and grit and keeps it from swirling around and getting sucked up into the filter, guess it acts as a pre-cleaner of sorts such as you would find on diesel farm equipment or commercial rigs, but not self-cleaning like those are now. Takes an extra few minutes to vacuum that all out.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Interested in what you typically find in the bottom of your air-boxes, the waffle iron design does trap the find sand and grit and keeps it from swirling around and getting sucked up into the filter, guess it acts as a pre-cleaner of sorts such as you would find on diesel farm equipment or commercial rigs, but not self-cleaning like those are now. Takes an extra few minutes to vacuum that all out.
I always find the sand like stuff in the bottom of my fleets intake air boxes also. I believe mine comes from winter road sanding and what's left on the road as I'm not near the beach or desert. Because air is drawn in from the fender I think that's how it gets in.
I also vacuum it out.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I’ve never replaced my air filter OR cabin filter! Still originals from the factory at 152k miles and almost 10 years!

WOW, you vehicle would be a perfect candidate to test and see if we can simply blowout the filter annually rather than replacing with a new one. Would there be any improvement in fuel mileage / performance ? Would the performance ( air flow) change when doing the same with the cabin filter ?

·
Registered
310 Posts
I replace the engine air filter every 12 months, and the cabin filter 2x per year since it is so easy to do and really cheap. I either get the STP cabin air filter at Autozone for $10, or the Walmart SuperTech filter for $8. They both seem the same and equally as good. For engine air filter, I get whatever I can find that is reasonably priced (usually around $15). STP, SuperTech, whatever. I change them frequently enough that most standard engine air filters are more than sufficient. I rarely find any debris at all in the air box. If I was going to run the same filter for 2-3 years at a time, I would get something more "premium".

I put a new STP (Autozone) engine air filter in my Equinox about 7 months ago, but have only driven 1,400 miles due to the pandemic. That filter will not need replacing for quite some time. I also removed, vacuumed between the pleats of the cabin filter, and reinstalled it. Should be OK for a while.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I believe manual suggests changing cabin filter at 36,000 kilometers, so that's when I'll do it, no use spending money for nothing. At 31K now, so in spring should be good to go.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Cabin filters are kind of an enigma. Cars didn't have them for quite some time. Then they became somewhat of a "luxury" item on expensive cars, then made their way to almost every car. Now it is basically a profit center for dealer service departments who feel comfortable attempting to charge customers $80 for a $10 filter every time the car is in for service. On the Equinox, this is a 5 minute job. I cringe when I hear people at the service department agree to a replacement at the prices being quoted.

I do know that there would be no way I could go 20,000 miles on a cabin filter. After 6 months it is filled with small dried leaf particles, dust, and sometimes even dead insects. I can also tell when it is time to at least pull it and clean it out when more dust than usual starts showing up inside the car. Filter life will definitely vary depending on the environment the car is being used in.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
WOW, you vehicle would be a perfect candidate to test and see if we can simply blowout the filter annually rather than replacing with a new one. Would there be any improvement in fuel mileage / performance ? Would the performance ( air flow) change when doing the same with the cabin filter ?
Yup! It would be interesting, wouldn't it? I'll post a picture when I get around to cracking it open. I guess I should try to change it before January and it's 10-year anniversary ... or maybe I'll just blow it out with the compressor ... LOL!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts