GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I've changed my cabin air filter on my 15 Terrain and it does not want to go back into the slot. I made sure that there is nothing stuck and that it is facing the right direction but no luck causing me to force the new filter in. Has anyone else dealt with this?

·
Registered
137 Posts
It is a tight fit. A slight misalignment will have a hard time to put back the filter. Just take your time and don't force it. Reinsert if you feel unreasonable resistance. I just changed mine two weeks ago. Able to slide it in on my second try.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Are you absolutely sure they’re the exact same? Compare them side by side. The first time I bought one from a dealer, they gave me one that didn’t fit either. The dealer said the part number cross referenced to fit. It was close, but wouldn’t go all the way in. I returned it, and then made sure to order the exact AC Delco part number and it slid right in…

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
The one on its side was my original filter, and the new AC Delco is what i replace it with…I now realize they are different part numbers, but they are physically identical.

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L FWD 170.5k miles
4,085 Posts
You know ... I was thinking of changing my Cabin Filter .... I've still got the original Filter in there from the factory, but on second thought, if it's gonna be too much trouble ...

·
Registered
10,593 Posts
Colt, I thought the factory filters were good for 333,333. Don't jump into things. LOL

• Haha
Reactions: Colt Hero

·
Registered
2011 GMC TERRAIN SLT-2 3.0L V6 (LF1)
83 Posts
I changed mine this past summer and yep it was tight.
Don't try to push from the end sticking out, what worked for me was to just get it started
and grab and push one side at a time where the filter meets the enclosure.
Push each side about 1/2 inch at a time going from one side to the other until your all the way in. Easy Peasy.
I used an ac delco replacement from rockauto. Old one was McNasty.
The hardest part was putting the stupid glovebox back in which took longer than replacing the filter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It is a tight fit. A slight misalignment will have a hard time to put back the filter. Just take your time and don't force it. Reinsert if you feel unreasonable resistance. I just changed mine two weeks ago. Able to slide it in on my second try.
LOL If I didn't see the title of this post I would swear we're talking about something else. I know my mind is in the gutter.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are you absolutely sure they’re the exact same? Compare them side by side. The first time I bought one from a dealer, they gave me one that didn’t fit either. The dealer said the part number cross referenced to fit. It was close, but wouldn’t go all the way in. I returned it, and then made sure to order the exact AC Delco part number and it slid right in…
The gag is that I purchased it from my GMC dealership... smh. They used to give a f**k back when they were a Saturn dealership (and when I had my Saturn), since GMC and the new management took over, the quality and staff leave alot to be desired and turned me off to GM.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
The gag is that I purchased it from my GMC dealership... smh. They used to give a f**k back when they were a Saturn dealership (and when I had my Saturn), since GMC and the new management took over, the quality and staff leave alot to be desired and turned me off to GM.
I miss Saturn too! My Equinox replaced my 2004 Saturn Vue with 280K miles. Between my ex-wife and I, we owned 5 Saturns. The death of Saturn is when GM started making their cars clones of the other GM products, but their service and dealership experience were always top notch!
…oh, and the dealership that sold me the incorrect filter was also a former Saturn dealership 🤦‍♂️😡

·
Registered
135 Posts
Miss my 04 Vue as well...but my Terrain has made a nice upgrade/replacement. Fortunate to have a local GMC dealership that we like just as much if not more than the Saturn dealer.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have same issue when I change my cabin filter, as others said, just push each side in a little at a time, you'll get there. I do not have an issue with reinstalling the glove box, just put the hooks over the spot for them and lift the box into place, the catch will depress itself and then click in place to hold it in.

I did have an issue with Purolator Febreeze cabin filters from Rockauto. They had a clearance sale so I got 3 - they did not fit at all, too thick, too wide, too long. I tried to cut one down but then it was too flimsy to install. I double checked the part number on the Purolator site as well as other parts places, all agree it is correct - but they won't fit. I compared all 3, they are identical. Win some, lose some. They didn't cost a lot.

One reason I got the Febreeze filters is that I usually spray Febreeze on my filters and soak them good for a few days before installing. Do this a few times and let it dry onto the filter and when you install it the car smells awesome for a few weeks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I miss Saturn too! My Equinox replaced my 2004 Saturn Vue with 280K miles. Between my ex-wife and I, we owned 5 Saturns. The death of Saturn is when GM started making their cars clones of the other GM products, but their service and dealership experience were always top notch!
…oh, and the dealership that sold me the incorrect filter was also a former Saturn dealership 🤦‍♂️😡
I have same issue when I change my cabin filter, as others said, just push each side in a little at a time, you'll get there. I do not have an issue with reinstalling the glove box, just put the hooks over the spot for them and lift the box into place, the catch will depress itself and then click in place to hold it in.

I did have an issue with Purolator Febreeze cabin filters from Rockauto. They had a clearance sale so I got 3 - they did not fit at all, too thick, too wide, too long. I tried to cut one down but then it was too flimsy to install. I double checked the part number on the Purolator site as well as other parts places, all agree it is correct - but they won't fit. I compared all 3, they are identical. Win some, lose some. They didn't cost a lot.

One reason I got the Febreeze filters is that I usually spray Febreeze on my filters and soak them good for a few days before installing. Do this a few times and let it dry onto the filter and when you install it the car smells awesome for a few weeks.
I purchased this STP Filter and it went in like magic. GM needs to get it together....

STP CAF1817M

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had a 2008 Vue XE 2.4L FWD

1 - 16 of 16 Posts