GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Even if combustion engines stop today, there are so many on the road it would still need to be supported for another 50years+. - Elon Musk

It's not going anywhere...its big business

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
Well, of course it will be "supported" until all the internal combustion engines are gone, but I'm convinced they are going away. It makes too much sense for the manufacturers. They'll be able to run a much leaner operation, with a lot less headaches (recalls, litigation, and dealerships would largely disappear), and EVs would allow them to literally sell cars like refrigerators (deliver to your house, take your old one away). Then the gas stations and tanker trucks would slowly start disappearing (that's great news!). It's more efficient ... it's cleaner ... it makes sense. My next car will be electric. Who cares about all these different internal combustion engines? Too complicated, too expensive to repair, too dirty, and so unnecessary (now). You say it's "big business" for them, but that "business" comes with a lot a strings attached. They'll simplify with EVs and make their money anyway ... with a lot less aggravation.

·
Registered
89 Posts
My next car will be electric.
Cool. I also agree EV is the future. Too many other tangents in your post.

Then the gas stations and tanker trucks would slowly start disappearing (that's great news!). It's more efficient ... it's cleaner ... it makes sense.
No. What I'm saying is there will be Gas Stations(and big oil, and crude ship tankers from Saudi) on the road for 50 years after the last combustion engine ever leaves the line to support the millions of cars/trucks/scooters already on the road. It just doesn't stop when the world decides to switch to alternate fuel.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Specs on the 2.7T are 310 hp and 348 lb-ft of torque.
This is made for performance not gas mileage.
Expect to require 91-93 octane.

Great for a Equinox SS

Reactions: JayTee2014

·
Registered
236 Posts
The 2.7T 4cyl is being used in the Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra. In those trucks it makes 310hp and 348 lb-ft of torque. It was designed as a truck engine, though, so it would take some engineering to make it work in the Terrain.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
All future terrains will be pooches with the 1.5 which is sad. More of GM telling us what we want. I have had honda cars that lasted forever with great reliability and would have bought a CRV if it could tow anything. Didn't want the bulk of the pilot. Terrain with 2.0 fit the bill. Oh well, I read that honda's with CVT's are junk now anyway

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
The Huge White Elephant in the room regarding "green " electric products is that not all costs nor pollutants are told to the general public or even included in the real price of these products.

For one. . . . many metals like lithium and heavy metals for electronic circuit chips come from China. They have the lions share of most raw materials. A good strategic place for China economically. . . not so good for the rest of the world.

Also, not all the costs for producing everything from lithium ion batteries to micro chips are being tallied. The toxic compounds are literally either stored by shadow businesses for "future remediation" or outright dumped creating a large mass of toxic buildup waiting for the next earthquake, typhoon, or other disaster to spread the poisons.
I know of a business that for decades now has been storing PCBs from the last century recovered from old electrical and electronic devices. They still have not spent the money to find effective and non polluting ways to rid the planet of that stuff let alone the "New" toxic byproducts used for "green" electrics.
These toxic compounds are being stored or dumped for everything from cell phones, computers, 4K TVs, and, yes, electric vehicle production.

Looks to me like a great deal of headaches, litigation and "strings attached" to me if the toxic byproducts are not finally addressed and added into the cost and dealt without damaging the environment.

The article below is just one of many exposing just a small portion of the true cost of producing electric products that is not being addressed or included in marketing these products.

The Dystopian Lake Filled by the World’s Tech Lust

40°37'32.9"N 109°40'10.1"E

The Dystopian Lake Filled by the World’s Tech Lust

with a lot less headaches (recalls, litigation, and dealerships would largely disappear), and EVs would allow them to literally sell cars like refrigerators (deliver to your house, take your old one away). It's more efficient ... it's cleaner ... it makes sense. My next car will be electric. "business" comes with a lot a strings attached. They'll simplify with EVs and make their money anyway ... with a lot less aggravation.
Cool. I also agree EV is the future. Too many other tangents in your post.

·
Registered
201 Posts
If memory serves me, the latest version of the Camaro also had the 2.7 T, so with a little ingenuity GM could mount it transverse or if wild imagination takes them lol, it could be become rear wheel drives.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Not sure the 2.7L four would fit in Equinox or Terrain without a hood lift.
That engine is a tall one with long stroke which is why it was designed for truck use and now (apparently) other vehicles that it might fit into.

Reactions: rednox301

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
The 2.7T would be a perfect fit for a Canyon or Colorado.
Update the 2.0T for the Equinox or Terrain

For the mid size SUV's like the Traverse or Blazer use the bullet proof 3.6L V-6.
If the 3.6 needs a little update, hang a turbo on it.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
The 2.7T would be a perfect fit for a Canyon or Colorado.
Update the 2.0T for the Equinox or Terrain

For the mid size SUV's like the Traverse or Blazer use the bullet proof 3.6L V-6.
If the 3.6 needs a little update, hang a turbo on it.
Rumor has it the 2.7L will be in the next gen or refresh of Colorado/Canyon.
Rumored that the 3.6L will be dropped.
But who knows for sure what with 2021 production delays on many models and products.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Rumor has it the 2.7L will be in the next gen or refresh of Colorado/Canyon.
Rumored that the 3.6L will be dropped.
But who knows for sure what with 2021 production delays on many models and products.
that’s actually a good idea. The 3.6 makes a great sports car engine but a terrible truck engine. It has no torque down low. The Canyon rental I had was really annoying to drive. even the slightest hill or gust of wind on the highway would have it downshifting to maintain speed.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
yeah . . . the 8 speed transmission 7th and 8th gears are over drive. Optimized for MPG in Canyon/Colorado.
I've found my 2017 doesn't down shift that easily and when I was driving up and down fairly long 3% to 5% hilly roads I just used the manual top gear select for 7th gear and no downshifting at all.
I do not experience downshifting on slight hills or wind. Curious. What speed were you driving when you noticed it?
Was it possible the Canyon had the 2.5L four cylinder engine? Also, depending on trim level and wheel/tire size that may tax pull on hills.

·
Registered
182 Posts
yeah . . . the 8 speed transmission 7th and 8th gears are over drive. Optimized for MPG in Canyon/Colorado.
I've found my 2017 doesn't down shift that easily and when I was driving up and down fairly long 3% to 5% hilly roads I just used the manual top gear select for 7th gear and no downshifting at all.
I do not experience downshifting on slight hills or wind. Curious. What speed were you driving when you noticed it?
Was it possible the Canyon had the 2.5L four cylinder engine? Also, depending on trim level and wheel/tire size that may tax pull on hills.
Any speed between 60-75 when it’s fast enough to switch to the highest gear. It was a crew cab 4x4 SLE and no I know the difference between a 4 and 6 cylinder and if I was that stupid the big V6 badge on the tailgate is a dead giveaway.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
No offense was intended. Just asking.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts