GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to GM authority the 2.0 will no longer be an option. ALL terrains will only have the 1.5 liter engine... SMH

·
Registered
57 Posts
But yet it appears to be hanging around in the Nox...seems to be a questionable decision. Mines a 1.5 and I like it but choices are always better. I wonder what the take rate of the 2.0 is for the Nox? I'd think they would want to make the Chevy the value play and the Terrain the uplevel choice. Of course we may read tomorrow that they're doing the same with the Nox? Then it makes a little more sense.
With the 2.0 turning up in more and more GM offerings maybe it's a supply issue? Guess that's not a bad problem to have...

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We would not have bought a terrain if it didn't have the 2.0 option.. We need to tow a 2,000lb. enclosed snowmobile trailer with two sleds inside on occasion. We wanted a small SUV but one that would tow more than 1000 or 1,500 lbs. The terrain fit the bill. I think the take rate for the 2.0 was/is only 24% IIRC .. As far as MPG goes, we consistently get over 30mpg with our 2.0, not towing obviously.. Staying out of the turbo is the key when going for MPG. Of course spirited driving returns a lot less but sure is fun.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I think what will happen is, the current 2 liter is being phased out and the newer one which Cadillac and others have will become the engine upgrade. I also agree that its questionable but the new one has the dubious distinction of having cylinder deactivation (i could be mistaken on this). It is no surprise that GM is willing do this, as they can then hopefully ugrade people to the slightly bigger Acadia or Blazer with the V6.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
I think what will happen is, the current 2 liter is being phased out and the newer one which Cadillac and others have will become the engine upgrade. I also agree that its questionable but the new one has the dubious distinction of having cylinder deactivation (i could be mistaken on this). It is no surprise that GM is willing do this, as they can then hopefully ugrade people to the slightly bigger Acadia or Blazer with the V6.
This right here ^^. It's not a supply issue, it's an emissions issue. The LTG is long in the tooth & prob doesn't meet today's standards.

Maybe they could shoehorn in the new 2.0 LSY, but it's layout is totally different than the LTG so I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
505 Posts
I noticed that the survey at the end shows 83% think it's a big deal to drop the 2.0; 18% think it's not.

I have the 2.0 in a Equinox, and wouldn't own one without that option. It makes the vehicle a pleasure to drive, never wanting for power/performance.

We have a 2017 Malibu with the 1.5, 6 speed. It's adequate for power and performance in this application, but my personal opinion is that the 1.5 has only marginal performance in the Equinox/Terrain. Again, I'm not stating the 1.5 equipped Equinox/Terrain isn't a fine vehicle; I'm just stating my preference for the increased level of performance capability.

I noticed that all Terrains come from Mexico, and all have 9 speed transmissions regardless of the engine choice.

The Equinox can come from Canada or Mexico, and the 1.5 engine gets the 6 speed, the 2.0 gets the 9 speed.

I'm kinda anxious for the updated Equinox, the styling updates to both ends, RS package, new headlamps, tail lights and exhaust tips, and most importantly of all; the switch to turn off the d##n stop/start!

If the 2.0 disappears too; I'm no longer interested.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
It's all coming to an end for the Internal Combustion Engine anyway. It might take 25 years, but I hope to still be around when the Nightly News closes with a story about the last Internal Combustion Engine vehicle rolling off the assembly line somewhere in America.

As Dick Vitale would say ... "EVs are gonna rule the world, baby!"

·
Registered
89 Posts
It's all coming to an end for the Internal Combustion Engine anyway. It might take 25 years, but I hope to still be around when the Nightly News closes with a story about the last Internal Combustion Engine vehicle rolling off the assembly line somewhere in America.

As Dick Vitale would say ... "EVs are gonna rule the world, baby!"
Even if combustion engines stop today, there are so many on the road it would still need to be supported for another 50years+. - Elon Musk

It's not going anywhere...its big business

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
The oil companies would rebel. Actually. . no. . . they would/are "directing" things now to assure they will not be reduced to second class energy status.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I wonder how many of the "spec" Terrainss at the GMC dealerships had the 2.0T. If 73% of the "spec" vehicles had the 1.5T, then is it any wonder why 73% of the sales were with the 1.5T. Since most people looking to purchase go to a dealership, pick out a vehicle already on the lot, and complete the purchase, often driving the new vehicle home right awas. If 73% of the vehicles on the lot have the 1.5T, this becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Just like the "spec" vehicles nearly always being black, white, gray or silver. They're those colors because "that's what people buy". Well, if I walk onto a lot and those are the only colors available, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to predict that I'll drive away with a black, white, gray or silver vehicle.

It would be interesting to know what engine, colors and options that people factory order when willing to wait for their vehicle, and how those compare to the selections that GM/GMC/dealerships offer as "spec" vehicles. Before I even entered a dealership to purchase my Terrani, I already knew what I wanted for trim level, exterior/interior colors and which specific option packages should be included. We knew a salesperson at the dealership, so rather than me spending time doing a search for my "unicorn", I let her do that. I say "unicorn" since the exterior color and specific option packages was not at all common. She quickly found one that was exactly as I specified, with the addition of the roof rack cross rails and running boards. I had no interest, at the time, for the "extras", so we worked out a compromise on them. It turned out that our 15 year old chocolate lab loves using the running boards to get in/out due to her old age. If she couldn't find my "unicorn", I was prepared to order it from the factory, as we had done for our past five vehicles because I didn't want a "generic" vehicle off the lot that looked exactly like everyone elses.

Kind of an interesting story about having a vehicle looking like everyone elses... My previous daily driver was a '98 Pontiac TransSport minivan, gold/tan exerior with camel colored seating. As we were walking through the parking lot after picking up one of my son's from roller hockey practice, there were two gold/tan '98 TransSports parked side-by-side. Both had camel colored interior. As we got closer I could see that one had leather (mine) and the other was clothe. But the more interesting thing was that the license plate on the other one had the next sequential series of characters as mine. My plate was 3XUC231, theirs was 3XUC232. Nearly the same vehicle, nearly the same licence plate. We never did encounter that vehicle anywhere again.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
This is not the first time GM has unexpectedly discontinued a popular engine.
Remember in 2016, GM discontinued the 3.6L V-6 in the 2016-2017 Equinox?
The only way you could get the V-6 is in the Terrain if you ordered AWD.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Kind of an interesting story about having a vehicle looking like everyone elses... My previous daily driver was a '98 Pontiac TransSport minivan, gold/tan exerior with camel colored seating. As we were walking through the parking lot after picking up one of my son's from roller hockey practice, there were two gold/tan '98 TransSports parked side-by-side. Both had camel colored interior. As we got closer I could see that one had leather (mine) and the other was clothe. But the more interesting thing was that the license plate on the other one had the next sequential series of characters as mine. My plate was 3XUC231, theirs was 3XUC232. Nearly the same vehicle, nearly the same licence plate. We never did encounter that vehicle anywhere again.
Now that's more than a little spooky. I would have stuck around until the owner of the other vehicle came back so we could discuss this!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Spooky is right, I bet the person who owned it was next door in the sales cubicle being sold scotchgard, nitrogen tire fill (a sales rep who owned shares in Nitrogen and tried to start a trend very early as this is a 98 lol ) and an electronic rust box that was warrantied to be replaced if it ever rusted. As far as what people order, it would be interesting to conduct a online poll to see who ordered their vehicles from the factory or who just went to dealership and bought what they had or could get from another dealer.
I think those colors are the only ones, black, silver, plain white are the only ones that people do not have to pay extra for so I think that would factor in to the decision making process. Rental Car companies as well factor in, or rather till recently they did and most of them will not pay extra for a color. The Equinox is a rental staple and most of them are 1.5 as they again do not want to pay extra. Nearly all vehicles across most vehicle lines and companies are doing only black on black interiors, it is a very rare vehicle that comes with a light interior these days. Hopefully this fad will fade as we move on.
GM is not playing around with holding on to car options that do not sell, the Diesel engine in the Cruze and the later Thetas are a good example, the Mid size pickups have lost their 2.8 Diesel, again to low sales. Once this covid is past us it will interesting to see what the take rate on the 3.0 liter diesel option for the pickups and the New SUV releases will be. I will be betting, other than some diehards, this engine will fade as well, there really is no advantage to having it as it will cost too much to acquire and maintain. Jeep has their 3.0 liter v6 coming in the wrangler and here in Canada its a 9000 dollar upgrade, ouch, you would need to drive 215,000 miles (not km) to meet the cost.

·
Registered
134 Posts
As far as what people order, it would be interesting to conduct a online poll to see who ordered their vehicles from the factory or who just went to dealership and bought what they had or could get from another dealer.
Of the six new vehicles, all GMs, that were purchased as daily drivers for either me or the wife, five were ordered from the factory. My current ride is the only one that was purchased off the lot, but only because I knew exactly what I wanted before setting foot on the lot, and it had everything on my list. Though I was prepared to factory order it necessary to get exactly what I wanted.

My current ride is also the first vehicle purchased new where I didn't have a steep discount on a new vehicle through an employer. When purchasing the first three vehicles I was working for a now defunct defense contractor. I don't know how/why they had such a good deal, but when purchasing a 1982 Pontiac for the wife, a neighbor that worked in the Finance Dept at the dealership asked how we were able to purchase it for nearly $2K (1982 dollars and vehicle pricing) below what the dealership would pay for the vehicle. Before that employer went defunct, I'd relocated and started working for a subsidiary. For quite a few years we were owned by GM, so the next two vehicles were at GM employee pricing, plus any incentives available at the time. Alas, I had left them a few years after the last itteration of new vehicles for me and the wife, so no more automatic steep discounts when purchasing my current ride.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Our 19' terrain Denali had to be the smokey quartz metallic color with a light interior. We simply told the dealer what we wanted and what options we wanted and he located one at another dealership for us. It was interesting that the 19's charged $350 for specific colors and the 20's charge $500... We bought the 19' after the 20's came out so were able to work a pretty good deal IMO on ours. We also played two dealers against each other.. One had the car we wanted in stock and the other had to trade another dealer for it.. The dealer that made the trade gave us the better deal and they were closer to home as well. Again, we would not have bought the car if the 1.5 was the only engine available.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Its probably because 2021 is going to be a light year for many car manufactures and GM is probably having issues with parts for the 2.0t. Its also possible when the new model comes out it gets the 2.7t or the new 2.0t that cadillac and Buick are going to use. Its probably just on a hiatus until manufacturing can catch up.

·
Registered
201 Posts
That would be an intriguing idea, just imagine a 2.7 in the 2022 Terrain with the Denali trim level. It would finally give a worthy engine choice to the buyers of the Denali Trim level as lets face it in my opinion, the Denali trim level in the Terrain is lacking in cachet. 2022 would probably bring about the end of the six speed and even if the 1.5 is kept, all engines will get the 9 speed behind it. GM is really trying to build to a Net Build. I dont think the 2.7 is too far out of the realm of possibility, we can only hope

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think the 2.0 engine is worthy of the Denali. I don't know how much HP the 2.7 makes but 252 out of the 2.0 is a great match for the terrain IMO, no need for more

·
Registered
89 Posts
2.7 is performance. Used in Cadillacs V line. Right now used in the CT4- V, and will only be found in Cadillac XT4-V...if it ever comes out

They are not going to put one in a Terrain lol

1 - 20 of 36 Posts