GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I am very confident that I want to go with a GMC Terrain (looks sharp!). My only problem Im running into is buying one of the premade terrains off the dealer lots or actually getting one special ordered. I have only purchased a new car once before and bought off the lot but always wondered whether I would have been better off special ordering a vehicle or if I save money buying what the dealer has in their inventory at the time. Would appreciate some feedback based off what everybodys experience with purchasing new vehicles. Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
elitespike said:
Hi everyone, I am very confident that I want to go with a GMC Terrain (looks sharp!). My only problem Im running into is buying one of the premade terrains off the dealer lots or actually getting one special ordered. I have only purchased a new car once before and bought off the lot but always wondered whether I would have been better off special ordering a vehicle or if I save money buying what the dealer has in their inventory at the time. Would appreciate some feedback based off what everybodys experience with purchasing new vehicles. Thanks again!
Can you find what you want on the lot? If not, can you live with the next closest thing? If the answer is "YES" then buy it off the lot. If the answer is "NO" then order the vehicle.

The reason being is that a dealer would be more willing to deal on a car that is on his lot. He wants to make the sale "now" and it reduces the "rent" they have to pay on having the car sit on their lot. Basically it earns the salesman commision and reduces the dealers expenses. IF they have to go to another dealeer to get you a car they might even be less likely to deal b/c they will have to transport the car which is an expense. I drove 70 miles to get mine and got a way better deal from that dealer than the original one. Love the search inventory feature.

Also, when you order you can lose out on any incentives if they exire before the car gets here.

·
Registered
182 Posts
A dealer will always want to sell you what they have, just because it's a sale 'now' versus a sale 2 months from now. That being said, a vehicle is a huge investment (for most people), hence you typically want to get exactly what you want. It's entirely up to you at that point whether or not people what the dealer has in stock is good for you. In my case, I wanted an SLT1, but with a 4cyl w/ AWD, and to make things worse - merlot color (red) - a pretty uncommon config. I decided to factory order, because for me, this will be a vehicle that I will be sticking with until it can't run anymore. If I'm going to drop $30K on a vehicle, it should be exactly what I want.

On average, you'll note that most people here have waited around 8 weeks for a factory order to be delivered. Some people have gotten them a little sooner (6 weeks), and some a little longer (11-12 weeks), depending on dealer allotment and build schedule. As NY_Joe mentioned, you also risk loosing potential incentives or financing rates. But that comes down to you signing off on a good price when they order the vehicle. But it's a new vehicle in very high demand, so the dealer isn't going to drop their pants.

·
Registered
265 Posts
That might be my case..I ordered a Onxnx black with jet black interior..SLT1 with nav..Dec9....Then for sum reasons I changed my mind and want..Carbon Black metallic with jet black interior..V4..Nav System..SLT2 minus sum options..He said they are getting 6 in this week so hopefully if mine is on that truck I can swap it out for hopefully what i want even if he has to look on puter in state to swap or mabe what I want will be on the truck hopefully.. ;D

·
Registered
37 Posts
I drove three Equinox before I bought the one I have. Of the three there were many differances in interior noise, ride etc. There are many reasons for the differances but, they are all a little different and I woud only order one if I didn't have to take it if I didn't like it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts