GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed the Bug Shield on their Nox or Terrain? Does it create a lot of wind noise? I'm thinking of getting one but with cars past I've noticed more wind noise.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I installed the GM bug deflector on the wifes Equniox, and I have not heard any wind noise because of the installation.
It gave the vehicle a nice stylish look too. Black deflector with Black Granite Metallic....mmmmmmm...sharp!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I'm referring to the GM molded shield. Thanks SnowItch.

·
Registered
446 Posts
What I find amazing about these "protectors" is that they usually end up damaging the hood of your vehicle. Go figure! :eek:

My favorite car techy says that keeping your car clean and well waxed is a much better solution to bugs.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can't argue with that a bit. Wax on the hood and Rain-X on the windshield work great!

·
Registered
115 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi All,

Put one on my 2010 Black Nox Looks good and doesn't add any noise. The nice thing about this model is that there are holes in it that line up with holes in the hood.
My problem was impatience. I picked the coldest day to install it. So I pulled it part way into the garageto get out of the wind.
But the brightness of daylight behind and Black hood, Black Shield and Black Screws, even with a shop light made it impossible to see what I was doing.
Got it on but had to make 5-6 trips in the house to thaw my fingers.
Just washed it today by hand +7 C. so will try to post a pic tomorrow.

·
Registered
265 Posts
SIMONIZ TEFLON COATING of the whole car and ScotchGuard of the inside..When I get my Terrain this week I will let all know how it is working...No need for waxing just soap and water..Guaranteed for 5 years against especially LoveBugs here in Florida...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Doogr, Well Done! Looks Great.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Doogr said:
Here's the pics promised..
Looked nice enough I just now ordered one!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Man, that does look nice, and probably will help w/ bugs/rocks in the long run. thanks for posting pics and info!! I don't know about how it would look on a red nox, though. I just ordered a nusolis clear bra, and will see how that goes. If it works, I'll get the hood kit also.

·
Registered
446 Posts
P.S. they also lower your MPG ability... Even the 3M types, as air does flow very well around them. Part of the reason GM gets 32 MPG out of the 'Nox today is that they reduced the air drag rating of the vehicle from .48 to .34 (or something like that) Subtle changes like a bug shield can raise that air drag up a lot.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I didn't notice any difference. In fact it seems a bit better these last couple of weeks but I can't say that had anything to do with it. I only have about 3,900 kms on it so far.
Makes sense though.
It may effect highway milage a bit but I doubt city driving creates enough drag. I'm averaging right now 11.7 L / 100kms. Never been much below that for city stop and go.
Actually my 02 Sebring with a 2.7 6cyl got better city milage than the Nox.
But I'm sure this is a lot heavier vehicle. Like other posters, once over 100kms (60 mph.) it gets a bit thirstier. The "bring" loved 130 kph.
If I'm on the 401 I'll use manual and lock it in 6th with cruise on at about 125 kph and it gets about 7.5 to 8.0 L/100kms.
Oh ya ECO on after I merg. I want all the guts it has to merg in this city.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Snowgov said:
Has anyone installed the Bug Shield on their Nox or Terrain? Does it create a lot of wind noise? I'm thinking of getting one but with cars past I've noticed more wind noise.
I did the bug shield today and it was pretty easy. Had a hard time looking UP toward the bright sky and being able to see what I needed to see on the hood. Should have done it in the garage where it was darker. Im happy with the look and fit. A 35 mile ride at expressway speeds failed to hear any wind related noise. Tomorrow the mud flaps.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Re: Bug Shield - Hood Protector-today the mud flaps

I picked today to do the mud flaps. Lets see. Rain changing to drizzle then back to rain with an east wind at 12-22 mph and air temps about 44 degrees. What better day than to wrestle with tires and jacks. Installation went over the projected time but then Im over the age where I should be doing this anyway. Instructions were pretty good and a little logic filled in the blanks. Instructions suggest temps above 60 degrees for the adhesive so I had to borrow the wifes hair dryer but other than that no issues. Im happy with the results.

·
Registered
10 Posts
TerryG: Do you have any pictures with the mudflaps installed? Since my Nox is white, I'm concerned about how noticeable the black plastic will be. (3/4 front and side view)
Thank you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey all - owner of a new Black Granite Metallic '11 Equinox here. I'm thinking of getting a shield (since the mosquito is the state bird here in WI, and there will be lots of highway miles on my nox), and those pictures were very helpful! So now I know it will look good, but ... does it actually help much with protecting from bugs and rocks? Since this thread is from the spring, I'm hoping a few of the posters who got/said they were getting this now have a summer season under their belts and can comment more on the actual usefulness of these. Also curious to hear from anyone with experience with other branded shields (so far I have found Lund and "Bug Shiled II" -- they both look similiar to Chevy OEM one, at least in pictures).

Even if you see this a couple months after I post, please comment as I may wait til spring to put it on anyway.

Thanks!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've had the GM shield on my Nox since last spring (March) so I haven't had it thru our Wis winter storms. But I do like the shield and I know it helps. :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts