GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All!

I am a new member to this Forum and I just bought a new Terrain-2010-Onyx Black-SLT1 over the Weekend!
I LOVE the CAR and I enjoyed taking it for a spin, I took the time to set up all the features in the infotainment system (from Radio to Nav to Bluetooth, etc...) I was shocked though when I learend that the Bluetooth only allows for voice transfer and it doesn't allow you to Sync your phone book. Now I know someon had already put up a post here similar to this one; however I just wanted to say that this is completely unacceptable!!! For $2100 you would think this feature would be a given!

I took action and I called the GMC Customer Assisstance line and I had them make a note in the system about the feature (or lack there of) and to ask who is the supplier for BlueTooth part of the infotainment system. They said that someone will call me back to address the concern and answer my question(s).

I am also a GM supplier-so I called my contat @ GM (here in Detroit) and I shared with him my findings. He immediately forwarded my concern to the Nav/Telematics team and ask them to explain. I will let everyone here know once I hear back.

Anyways, I thought I would share my experience with you guys and see what you think?!?

·
Registered
137 Posts
I don't plan on keeping Onstar once the trial period expires. I loaded the Bluetooth to "store" my numbers, fairly simple to do. I really like the feature! I'm not well versed in the techno field but this operation is pretty easy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Guys!

Yes the "store function" is fairly easy to do, however it only allows you up to 30 contacts!! and even when you recieve a call from one of your contacts (from the "store" function) it displays the number on the screen and not a name...for me it is more intuitive and faster to recognize a name than a number!

I have more than 1,800 contacts in my Blackberry so you see why the "store" funtion will not work for me.

SnowItch- I agree with you! I would like for the GM engineers to spend their time improving the product, but this falls under that category! there is a special department for this and they need to be aware of this!
Also, if they allow the Sync, you wouldnt have to store any numbers, it will just use your phone contacts to dial and display the names!

I am not sure if you guys noticed (and I foorgot to mention this in my initial post), if you look at the manual that came with the car, in the Bluetooth section, it actually shows a menu that has a "Phone book" in it ...I find that strange. check it out!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am not sure I understand!!!

I am not planning on keeping OnStar either! and my post has nothing to do with that...I am talking about Syncing the phone-phone book to the vehicle! and names and contacts appearing on the screen (similar to Ford-Sync and Lexus/BMW/Audi/Mercedes, etc...)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I C!! Thanks for the clarification SnowItch :)

so the phonebook is for OnStar and the depending on the device you can see different behavior!

so when you say "I can actually see the phone" what does that mean? you see the name of the person you are calling? do you see the name when someone calls you? what kind of phone do you have ? I have a blackberry storm!! maybe I should try a different one, jsut to test...

·
Registered
182 Posts
Coming from a technical perspective, the Bluetooth standard itself doesn't specify the transferring of phonebooks. This has obviously been discussed to death, and no, the Terrain/Equinox do not automatically get your phone's contacts pushed to the vehicle. Those are the breaks. That, and every phone stores its contacts differently.

The only system I've seen that does this is Ford's sync, as it's admittedly the best infotainment system going.

It's annoying for sure, because you would think that it *should*, but this isn't just some random oversight by GM. It's a deficiency in the BT standards itself.

·
Registered
182 Posts
SnowItch said:
What's the status on your vehicle?
The dealer said they had a build-date of last week, and to expect 3-4 weeks for delivery, which sounds about right based on folks here. I'll be traveling to Europe for a couple weeks in mid-late march, so most likely I'll have a terrain waiting for me on my return in early April.

·
Registered
446 Posts
My suggestion: Get a phone with voice command ability. iPhones and some Windows Mobile phones can do this, I'm sure some others can too. I just say "handsfree, bluetooth, voice" and then I have full access to the phone book in my phone via voice. Works fantastic!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Narg!

I have done that on my Storm (Blackberry) and it works well! I know there are ways around it. However, I was just trying to voice my frustration at not being able to see the actual phone book on the screen. I know that Sync is capable of doing that and it is the best outthere; but before I decided to go with the Terrain, I was shopping around and other OEMs had that feature like MB. Audi, even KIA and Hyundai...

I guess I am trying to find out who has a real issue with this like me! I have a software background and I am hoping if enough of us voice the issue; GM will roll out a software upgrade that will allow the phonebook Sync! or am I being unreal here !!!

·
Registered
239 Posts
I don't know how you ended up paying $2100 for a bluetooth connection, I though it was a standard feature on the Terrain, I know it was standard on my SLE2 and I know that there are no options that can be selected on SLE1.

·
Registered
239 Posts
SnowItch said:
Huh? My point was that OnStar is available on all options, therefore the 30 phone number limit is in the OnStar programming; therefore, it is highly unlikely that it is expandable.

I don't understand your point...
It's generaly considered that a post without a speciffic quote in it is usually directed at the original poster/post and not the guy who posts the most in every thread.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
GMCdriver said:
It's generaly considered that a post without a speciffic quote in it is usually directed at the original poster/post and not the guy who posts the most in every thread.
LOL!!!!

GMCDriver....I think he wastalking about the NAV option.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a phone directory in my past car, 2004 BMW 5 series. I liked that feature. I know you can look at your phone and get this information but it is more convenient to leave your phone in your pocket and not have to reach for it. I agree with the original poster this feature exisits all over and it should have been included. We aren't talking about a need for hardware just a software. Perhaps if enough people comment on this GM will provide a software update. Odd that some people on this site get offended if your are critical of thier car. I think we all have likes and dislikes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pete V said:
We aren't talking about a need for hardware just a software. Perhaps if enough people comment on this GM will provide a software update.
Hey Guys!! I dont think anyone got offended...we are just chatting!!!

Anyways, I agree with you Pete this is a software update that I hope they consider it in the next update!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
SnowItch said:
Personally, 99.9% of the time, I use the Bluetooth voice dialing so this is a feature that I wouldn't use.

At what cost? How much would you have been willing to pay? Personally, I wouldn't have been willing to pay for it, and based on the fact that only 2 people (you and the original poster) have expressed a desire for it, it wouldn't have made business sense for GM to include it. GM (like all corporations) spends a lot of money on research to determine what feature sets to include in their products. My guess is that the demand didn't justify the additional expense, and that they decided to dedicate resources to voice recognition (which they did a pretty good implementation of).

What would be really interesting would be for GM to open up their interface (I'm guessing its based on some flavor of Linux) to allow 3rd parties to develop applications. It would be really cool if you could pick and choose the options you wanted.
Hey SnowItch...it is fine if you don't like to use it...I know a lot of people that don't. However if you see some other interfaces like a Ford or a Lexus and how you can Glance at the screen while you are driving and see the name of the caller...I think you would appreciate the freature. Also on the Lexus you have a set of preset numbers (kina od like speed dials) that you can access.

About your comment on GM spending time and money for features, I think Ford had a big bang this year at the Auto Show in DET because of the upcoming 2011 MyTouch that expands on the Sync system they already have, so I think GM needs to catch up to that and incoporate these features into their vehicles; the System allows multiple functionalities that dont exist oin any GM vehicle, while here we are still debating why we don't se the phone book on the screen. I truly believe that a feature like this wouldn't have cost them a whole lot taking what OEMs spend on vehicle development.

I 100% agree and like your idea about allowing 3rd party applications. I think this is the future; however I think OEMs are still a little apprehensive about that!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
SnowItch said:
Just brings back all of the jokes about if Microsoft designed a car...
LOL!! don't get me started!

I think you are referring to the joke where" everyone has to get out of the car and come back in for it to work right" (Hard reset) ...cracks me up everytime!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
SnowItch said:
The only way I would let my kid have this system is if the car drove itself.
LOL!!! I don't want it for my kid...I want it for me :p

I saw this @ the Auto Show...very impressive I have to say!!

·
Registered
446 Posts
The whole technical prowess of GM is definitely overshadowed by Ford's Sync product developed by Microsoft. Hopefully GM will improve this in the future.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
SnowItch said:
Took too long to find (which means that it isn't getting any press), but it seems that GM does have an answer for Sync - but it looks like they might be pairing up with Google, not Apple (actually makes sense - MS considers Google far more of a threat than 6% Apple).
Great Stuff!! Thanks for sharing the info!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
SnowItch said:
Its actually positioned as a replacement to OnStar (uses Hughes)
I worked with Hughes-Telmatics before through my company. I know a couple of guys there...

I bet it will even sync its phonebook with a bluetooth device ;D
Hilarious!! watch them skip over that ...LOL!!

Come on GM, Chrysler is part of your family - why aren't you putting this technology in all of your vehicles?
Amen to that...that's what I have been saying this whole time...Thanks again man!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts