GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
replaced the battery on our 06 equinox and car not charging mechanic found an orange wire broken on the alternator but cannot see where it attachs to any harness any ideas car only has 11,000 miles on it..Thanks in advance

·
Registered
29 Posts
my guess would be the connecting wire is under the small black plastic wire loom near the alt.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks I'll take a look not much room under the hood in these cars I guess it had to rub on something with only 11,000 miles on an 06.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Has your concern been resolved? I would be happy to look into this for you being that you have contacted a dealer. Please feel free to keep me posted either way. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes we found the other half of the broken wire in a harness the wire is so thin the harness sheared it off just from vibratin poor poor design I've seen bigger wires in remote control cars or smoke detectors.But chevy very rarely changes much I learned that with my diesel P/U thanks for the concern unfortunaately customer svce is top quality but thats as far as quality goes I've always been a chevy guy but starting to look in a different direction hopefully my wifes SRX isn't going to be a problem.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
surfstix said:
yes we found the other half of the broken wire in a harness the wire is so thin the harness sheared it off just from vibratin poor poor design I've seen bigger wires in remote control cars or smoke detectors.But chevy very rarely changes much I learned that with my diesel P/U thanks for the concern unfortunaately customer svce is top quality but thats as far as quality goes I've always been a chevy guy but starting to look in a different direction hopefully my wifes SRX isn't going to be a problem.
Sheared off from vibration? Usually those wires are grouped together and in a piece of conduit and/or taped especially under the hood.
The vehicle is 6 years old just maybe someone broke the wire in those 6 years..
Why does everyone always blame GM for their quality. I would believe that there are a few million vehicles out there with that same design that the one wire in the harnesss isn't broke..JMO
One would have to believe that this poor poor design would be Toyota fault as more and more content was added to vehicles mfg couldn't run a 6inch in dia. group of wires thru the cabin so Toyota came up with micro connectors and thinner wire...
Pull a harnes from a 1990 Caddy and see how much it weighs compaired to todays vehicles so your point that chevy never changes much is mute

·
Registered
682 Posts
Technology is changing all kinds of things even wire.
I work with thin wires (20 gauge ) being used in places where they where once much thicker (14 gauge ) in applications
that carry the same current loads. The thin wire is just as durable as the thicker wire that it replaces.

·
Registered
10,522 Posts
darkside said:
Technology is changing all kinds of things even wire.
I work with thin wires (20 gauge ) being used in places where they where once much thicker (14 gauge ) in applications
that carry the same current loads. The thin wire is just as durable as the thicker wire that it replaces.
Is it becasuse the 14 gauge wire was oversized from an electrical standpoint or was it sized bigger for physical strength.

·
Registered
29 Posts
glad to hear you found the problem :thumb:, was wire in the black wire loom?

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
RIT333 said:
Is it becasuse the 14 gauge wire was oversized from an electrical standpoint or was it sized bigger for physical strength.
Enginers just found whys to do more things with thinner wire

1 - 10 of 10 Posts