GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am picking up my 2011 Equinox today. Just wondering if anyone has any tips on breaking in a brand new vehicle. In the past I've heard of strategies like never running it at a constant speed for too long. I'm no mechanic so I'm wondering if anyone has any tips or strategies to break in a new vehicle - or if this is even required!

Thanks for your help!
GoJetsGo

·
Registered
10,529 Posts
GoJetsGo said:
I am picking up my 2011 Equinox today. Just wondering if anyone has any tips on breaking in a brand new vehicle. In the past I've heard of strategies like never running it at a constant speed for too long. I'm no mechanic so I'm wondering if anyone has any tips or strategies to break in a new vehicle - or if this is even required!

Thanks for your help!
GoJetsGo
The Owners Manual has a detailed procedure - you can get a copy of it on-line. However, it is VERY restrictive, and many people have not followed it. Personally, I did, and have not had ANY problems. I think that was just by chance, though.

Enjoy the vehicle, and RTFM, kit is a good read !

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
New Vehicle Break-In
Notice: The vehicle does not need an elaborate break-in. But it will perform better in the long run if you follow these guidelines:
Do no drive at any one constant speed, fast or slow, for the first 805 km (500 miles). Do not make full-throttle starts. Avoid downshifting to brake or slow the vehicle.
During the first 1000 km (600 miles), avoid using more than moderate acceleration in lower gears and avoid vehicle speeds above 110km.h (68mph).
Between the first 1000km (600 miles) and 5000km (3,000 miles), heavy acceleration in lower gears can be used. Vehicle speeds above 110km (68mph) should be limited to five minutes per use.
Avoid making hard stops for the first 322km (200 miles) or so. During this time the new brake linings are not yet broken in. Hard stops with new linings can mean premature wear and earlier replacement. Follow this breaking-in guideline every time you get new brake linings.
Do not tow a trailer during break-in. See Driving Characteristics and Towing tips on page9-57 for the trailer towing capabilities of your vehicle and more information.
Following break-in, engine speed and load can be gradually increased.

More information on break-in can be found on page 9-27 of your owner’s manual. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
315 Posts
GoJetsGo said:

Thanks for your help!
GoJetsGo
Drive it like you stole it!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Chevrolet Customer Svc said:
New Vehicle Break-In
Notice: The vehicle does not need an elaborate break-in. But it will perform better in the long run if you follow these guidelines:
Do no drive at any one constant speed, fast or slow, for the first 805 km (500 miles). Do not make full-throttle starts. Avoid downshifting to brake or slow the vehicle.
During the first 1000 km (600 miles), avoid using more than moderate acceleration in lower gears and avoid vehicle speeds above 110km.h (68mph).
Between the first 1000km (600 miles) and 5000km (3,000 miles), heavy acceleration in lower gears can be used. Vehicle speeds above 110km (68mph) should be limited to five minutes per use.
Avoid making hard stops for the first 322km (200 miles) or so. During this time the new brake linings are not yet broken in. Hard stops with new linings can mean premature wear and earlier replacement. Follow this breaking-in guideline every time you get new brake linings.
Do not tow a trailer during break-in. See Driving Characteristics and Towing tips on page9-57 for the trailer towing capabilities of your vehicle and more information.
Following break-in, engine speed and load can be gradually increased.

More information on break-in can be found on page 9-27 of your owner’s manual. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
This is how I break in a new car. I also changed the oil initially at 1000 miles and again at 4000 miles.

·
Registered
10,529 Posts
grometsc said:
Drive it like you stole it!
Yeah - in other words, "drive it like it is not your car and you will not be stuck with the repair bills down the road, nor the crappy gas mileage". :banghead:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts