GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried to upgrade brakes yet? The equinox and terrain have single piston calipers and the SRX has dual piston calipers. In the past I have had luck using f-body knuckles and Corvette dual piston calipers on other models like 99-05 Grand ams, and I put Corvette calipers directly onto my 01 Camaro.

I have not done any measuring but I am willing to bet that the same conversion can be done here. I also know of people fitting the '10+ Camaro brembo calipers on similar vehicles.

My wife will not let me mess with her car, but anyone who wants to do some measuring and is interested in getting parts and trying it I can offer assistance. I can help get rotors and pads for cheap.

·
Registered
468 Posts
You will also have to stick to the srx rims since you will need the srx rotors. The srx rotors are 1" in diameter larger and are 6x120 i believe and the nox/terrain are 5x120. The rear rotors are only half an inch larger in diameter. Not sure if the srx calipers can be used without the srx rotors due to the minimal size differences.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well Im thinking other than SRX. The first gen Equinox used a twin piston caliper a well.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Dave25 said:
well Im thinking other than SRX. The first gen Equinox used a twin piston caliper a well.
my 05 doesnt...and the repair manual for the 08 doesnt show them either....

the only mention online of twin pistons on an equinox for for a concept.....

·
Registered
468 Posts
Im sure there has to be an option for this upgrade. Would you also have to replace the master cylinder with a larger one, or atleast the one found in the car that your stealing the calipers from?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You shouldnt need to upgrade the master cylinder. In my 99 Grand am I upgraded to Corvette twin piston calipers without changing the master cylinder. The braking improved immensely.

I must be mistaken about the 1st gen equinox calipers, but I know that certain calipers bolt up similarly: 98-02 F-Body (Camaro, firebird, trans am), 97-current Corvette (c5, c6), 04-06 GTO, XLR (not sure of years) and im sure there are others. On the Grand am I was able to bolt the F-body caliper bracket in place of the factory bracket (same bolt spacing) which them allowed any of the previously mentioned calipers to be directly bolts. Then I used a 98-02 F-body rotor which had the same wheel bolt pattern with the 1" larger diameter.

before:

after:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess what I need to know is, what is the spacing between the bolts that hold the caliper bracket on? Also, what is the bolt pattern of the wheels? I can do some more research, but once I find what will fit, my wife wont let me do this modification on her car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts