GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Hope someone can help me. I have a 2015 GMC Terrain that has been a tank for me. Recently though, I have run into some brake issues. I replaced my brakes in the summer of 2019 because they were pulsing real bad. Problem solved. Then about 8 months later, they started pulsing again. I took them apart and checked the rotors and pads and everything looked good. Put it back together and the pulsing was still there but not as bad. I just lived with it for another couple of months. Fast forward to mid June of this year, I finally got around to changing the rotors and pads figuring one or both rotors were warped. Everything was great after the replacement. No more pulsing and everything was smooth as they should be. Now, two months later...my Terrain is doing the same thing! Its actually worse this time with the whole steering wheel shaking some while braking. Im going to dig into it this weekend and see if the calipers are sticking or whatever but thought I would reach out to see if anyone has any ideas as to why my vehicle is doing this again. This time, I dont think its rotors but I will check.
Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Two things come to mind for me....either way over torquing the lugs, or the calipers are sticking and dragging the pads.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Two things come to mind for me....either way over torquing the lugs, or the calipers are sticking and dragging the pads.
Hmmm...never thought of the over torquing but I do suspect my calipers are sticking even though I cleaned and regreased them all up the previous time. Thank you!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know you probably used ceramic pads, but sometimes they being so hard causes warpage/buildup
on the rotors. Basically it’s a build up of material on your rotor. I had this problem with my hhr after turning the rotors to fix the problem a few times. It always returned. So I went to semi metelic pads and new rotors and problems went away. I know it came with ceramic pads but rotors you get from autozone and such are softer than the ones that were originally came on your terrain. Just my fix, that worked for me.

·
Registered
345 Posts
both rotors were warped
.....sorry, no such thing. Rotors dont warp. They only collect excess brake material.

Im going to dig into it this weekend and see if the calipers are sticking
Call me cynical, but did you not notice this the 1st time? Calipers are free moving or they are not. The pins must slide freely in the caliper bracket or they are garbage. Replace them and their seals if in doubt.

I'm not trying to beat up on you, but if you replace your brakes with inexpensive parts you will run into these problems.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I use an IR gun to check temps on the rotors after a drive to see if they are overly hot. Seems like there are a lot of calipers these days with non-metal pistons that swell and stick when hot, and things really get hot then.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hard stops can suck the heat out of rotors where the pads rest. This can warp a rotor. On machining centers with a indicator I have seen .020” run out on a warped rotor. Not buildup.

May I suggest changing the brake lines. They can collapse causing the caliper to hold pressure and not fully release. I would also get a set of Brakemotive pads and rotors. They use Powerstop pads and OEM equivalent rotors for about $90 shipped to your house.

·
Registered
18 Posts
This may be too late since the OP was 3 weeks ago, but I would suggest bedding in the brakes. Uneven transfer of brake material to the rotors can often be misdiagnosed as a warped rotor. It is a quick and easy process that should be done with new brakes. I have even successfully done it with brakes that had 50k on them when they started to get a little shimmy.

·
Registered
164 Posts
This may be too late since the OP was 3 weeks ago, but I would suggest bedding in the brakes. Uneven transfer of brake material to the rotors can often be misdiagnosed as a warped rotor. It is a quick and easy process that should be done with new brakes. I have even successfully done it with brakes that had 50k on them when they started to get a little shimmy.
You meant bleeding?

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
Nope, google search "bedding new brakes" and follow that process.

Reactions: cnshammond

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
Well, then you learned something new today ! Many replacement kits will mention that it is something that you should do, to correctly complete the brake job.

Reactions: kbz1960

·
Registered
23 Posts
As I am sure others have mentioned (admittedly have not read the thread) proper break in and grease the guide pins on the calipers. If the guide pins have damage or irregular wear replace them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts