GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013 Equinox AWD 3.6. Anyone had issues with their brakes not releasing? Started acting up several weeks ago when I noticed in a drive through after releasing brake pedal car wouldn't roll without hitting the gas on a flat surface. It did this on and off for a while.

Now I can press the brakes a few times and they stay locked up. To the point when my wife drove it yesterday, she got home and all 4 brakes were scorching hot and you could smell them.

I tried removing the ABS fuses, no change. Disabled traction control and stability control, no change. I'm still leaning toward the EBCM or ABS pump but don't want to throw parts at it not being sure.

After the car sits in park for a little bit they will be released untill brakes are pressed a few times again.

I carried it to the dealership this morning to have it checked out. Don't have much hope because I've always had bad luck when it comes to taking my vehicles to any shop.

Just curious if anyone else has ran into this and what it might be. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
When was the last time that you had the brakes looked at?
Could be frozen calipers, pistons or pins.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I would suggest getting your brakes inspected. As stated above if you haven't had them looked at you could have an issue.

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L
3,935 Posts
@Mgreen9883 : Maybe a problem with your brake booster?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When was the last time that you had the brakes looked at?
Could be frozen calipers, pistons or pins.
I did pads and rotors all the way around 2 years ago. Pads are still in good shape. Doesn't make sense for all 4 to be seizing at the same time. I could be wrong, I've seen some crazy stuff. Car does not pull at all. It's exactly like your holding the brake pedal while driving. It will literally come to a stop without hitting the brakes once it starts doing it.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Had a problem like this years ago. It turned out to be a bad 1 way air valve connecting the brake booster to the intake manifold... It was stuck so no air could pass through... I ended up getting into a accident. Took off the 1 way and cleaned it brakes worked fine after that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Had a problem like this years ago. It turned out to be a bad 1 way air valve connecting the brake booster to the intake manifold... It was stuck so no air could pass through... I ended up getting into a accident. Took off the 1 way and cleaned it brakes worked fine after that.
I checked it. Its fine. Works one way not the other. If it was stuck you would have no brakes. I've got too much brakes.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Master cylinder would be another possibility.
That would affect all four wheels at the same time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Master cylinder would be another possibility.
That would affect all four wheels at the same time.
You are correct it was the master cylinder. Dealer called this morning. I'm just going to let them fix it, they ordered the part. 5 to 10 days is what I was told. 🤦‍♂️ Atleast the wife has something to drive till we get it back, and I don't have to work on it.

Thanks for the help everybody.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts