GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2018 Terrain 2.0 SLT. I keep getting parking brake, and service brake error messages when starting up from Auto Stop. Seems my engine is not starting instantaniously like it used to and somehow that is kicking off these error messages. I don't feel like making a dealer appointment yet before I can learn more about this issue.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Start digging on the internet, not easy but with enough time you can find some basics.
If you are serious and want to see almost everything about it order a GM Repair Manual from helminc.com.
Not cheap but thousands of pages.

·
Registered
4 Posts
2018 Terrain 2.0 SLT. I keep getting parking brake, and service brake error messages when starting up from Auto Stop. Seems my engine is not starting instantaniously like it used to and somehow that is kicking off these error messages. I don't feel like making a dealer appointment yet before I can learn more about this issue.

Did you ever find an resolution for this? Wife's terrain of the same year and trim level is doing exactly what you described!

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
No, haven't been back to the dealer. It seems to happen when the tire pressure is the low side of normal.
Just a thought, under inflated tire has a different rotating speed so ABS sensor may be overly sensitive and triggering sooner than it should even though your tire is not super low on air.

·
Registered
4 Posts
No tire pressure issues here ( Tire Engineer by trade...:)

Check engine light now on and throwing 2 Sets of codes per parts store;

Power Train System: P3055/3056; DC/DC Converter Actuator Voltage 1 & 2 Performance. along with U0121-00: Lost Communication with Electronic Brake Control Module .

Anti-Lock Brake System: U0420-71 - Invalid data received from power steering control module - invalid data.

Anyone else seen this before?

I found a NHTSA technical bulletin on the P3055/56 but didn't include the others. My Terrain is a 2018

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Focus on the P codes first. I've had lots of random U codes in my fleet being recorded but no issues present when doing random scans just learning my scan tools features.
I attribute those U codes to spikes in the system.
Weak batteries are the #1 cause of lots of codes. Just because it cranks and starts doesn't mean the battery is 100%.
OEM battery in my '16 only lasted 3 yrs. .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Still having issues. Will likely take to dealer this week.

I recorded one instance and got a sequence of what occurred

Came to a stop and terrain auto shut off.

Upon releasing brake pedal, gauge cluster actually flickered and goes black for a split second.

Comes back on and T/C light comes on with
action required: steering assist reduced, drive with care

Then park light on, then off and service parking brake light flashes while the parking brake released notification pops up.

The brake actually releasing is delayed a second or two so the revs climb as you pressing thr peddle and then finally brake let's loose and away ya go. Kind of like a 2 stage button in a drag car😂

I'd hope it's not the battery already with the car only being 3 years old but might not hurt to check too. I also own a 2013 silverado I bought new that just got its first battery replaced after the original quit after 8 years of cranking!

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Terrain Denali 2.0T FWD
198 Posts
Still having issues. Will likely take to dealer this week.

I recorded one instance and got a sequence of what occurred

Came to a stop and terrain auto shut off.

Upon releasing brake pedal, gauge cluster actually flickered and goes black for a split second.

Comes back on and T/C light comes on with
action required: steering assist reduced, drive with care

Then park light on, then off and service parking brake light flashes while the parking brake released notification pops up.

The brake actually releasing is delayed a second or two so the revs climb as you pressing thr peddle and then finally brake let's loose and away ya go. Kind of like a 2 stage button in a drag car😂

I'd hope it's not the battery already with the car only being 3 years old but might not hurt to check too. I also own a 2013 silverado I bought new that just got its first battery replaced after the original quit after 8 years of cranking!
I had very, very similar issues with my '18 Terrain. The battery was determined to have a dead cell. The battery was replaced and except for a one time reoccurance a service notification for Brake Assist, there have been no new notifications or odd behavior.

I would definitely get your battery completely checked out, not just that it will take a charge. This was actually the second replacement battery in my Terrain, the first being after just a couple of months after purchase, also attributed to a dead cell. I now keep my Terrain on a battery tender unless I know that it'll be taken on a "long" drive any time soon as the AGM batteries apparently do not like to be anything other than fully charged most of the time.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Any if you guys due for the recall on the auto stop bolts?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not sure on the recall.

I did pull the battery and as others mentioned it did test as a bad battery. It also didn't have the OEM battery in the car despite us buying it with only 5k miles on it in 2019 which gives me other concerns..... it was a bottom dollar ac Delco that was undersized vs the OEM requirements.

New battery in with 2 drives so far with no issues. Hoping that was the fix!!

Thanks to those that pointed in the batteries direction!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts