GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new Terrain and have the bluetooth paired but how do I store names/numbers so I can just say, "Call home" rather than spell out the number each time? I am a newbie with the bluetooth but am excited about being able to use it in the vehicle for hands off talking.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The dealer should have provided documentation and quick start guide for OnStar, but here you go:

To store a telephone number and its name tag in the system, do this:

Press the white phone button.
OnStar will respond with ‘‘OnStar ready.’’
Say ‘‘Store.’’
OnStar will respond with ‘‘Phone number to store, please.’’
Say the entire number.
OnStar will repeat the number, and then say ‘‘Yes or No.’’
Say ‘‘Yes,’’ or say ‘‘No’’ to try again.
OnStar will respond with ‘‘Name tag, please.’’
Say the name that you want assigned to that telephone number.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Our salesman was sick with a migraine when we picked up the vehicle so someone else stepped in who was not familiar with the procedure. He was at least able to pair my phone to get me started!

·
Registered
749 Posts
xonecrazymofox said:
Wait, we can pair our phones to onstar without having to buy minutes through them?
Yes. As long as your phone is Bluetooth enabled. You don't have to buy minutes. You pair the phone to the car. The car acts like your bluetooth headset. On a larger scale.

·
Registered
978 Posts
xonecrazymofox said:
Wait, we can pair our phones to onstar without having to buy minutes through them?
Isn't it great !!!

·
Registered
338 Posts
If a phone is paired already, you push the talk button on the steering wheel and it will say ready, but you are not in the OnStar phone system you are in the bluetooth system. After you say "store" it will say the name of your phone and you say yes. Then you begin to store the name tags.

Bluetooth will then work regardless if you have an Onstar account or not.

Bluetooth is totally seperate from the Onstar minutes.

·
Registered
297 Posts
You have to access the Bluetooth commands after you access the phone menu...this is assuming you have already paired a phone.

• Press talk button on steering wheel.
  • When system asks for a command, instead of "call", say "Bluetooth". If this is a first time, then they system will go through the available options.
  • Say "Voice". The system will change over to the voice recognition of your cell phone.
  • Say commands to call contacts as you would if you were just using your cell phone.

It takes a couple extra steps, but it beats storing a duplicate set of phone numbers in the car. Once you get used to it, its not bad.

·
Registered
300 Posts
According to my manual, if I'm reading it right, as long as your phone supports having a phone book, if you press the phone button twice then chose phone book. it will give you access to your phone's phone book. I haven't paired my phone yet so I can't try it.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Don B said:
According to my manual, if I'm reading it right, as long as your phone supports having a phone book, if you press the phone button twice then chose phone book. it will give you access to your phone's phone book. I haven't paired my phone yet so I can't try it.
Yes, but that is the phone book on the display. Scrolling through that is a PITA, especially when driving.

·
Registered
120 Posts
jstpsntym said:
You have to access the Bluetooth commands after you access the phone menu...this is assuming you have already paired a phone.

• Press talk button on steering wheel.
  • When system asks for a command, instead of "call", say "Bluetooth". If this is a first time, then they system will go through the available options.
  • Say "Voice". The system will change over to the voice recognition of your cell phone.
  • Say commands to call contacts as you would if you were just using your cell phone.

It takes a couple extra steps, but it beats storing a duplicate set of phone numbers in the car. Once you get used to it, its not bad.
Will these instructions work only with 2011's? I tried saying 'voice' to my 2010 but it didn't work.

·
Registered
149 Posts
barhoc11 said:
Will these instructions work only with 2011's? I tried saying 'voice' to my 2010 but it didn't work.
Does your cellphone have voice dial capabilities over bluetooth?

·
Registered
120 Posts
reako said:
Does your cellphone have voice dial capabilities over bluetooth?
I am sure my Droid 2 does but when I press the command button and then say 'voice' it is as though that command does not exist.

Has anyone gotten the 'voice' command to work on their 2010?

·
Registered
300 Posts
jstpsntym said:
Yes, but that is the phone book on the display. Scrolling through that is a PITA, especially when driving.
Like I said, I haven't paired mine yet because I have been using a $30.00 gadget from Motorola and from reading the Nox manual it sounded like it might work the same as the Motorola device. I probably shouldn't have used the term loaded the phone book. What the Motorola does is let you use any voice command that your phone is capable of doing. I just press the button on the device and say for example, "call home" and it passes the command to the phone.

·
Registered
297 Posts
barhoc11 said:
Don't forget to say "Bluetooth" when the Onstar first says "ready".

·
Registered
25 Posts
I thought even though I don't have steering wheel controls that I could still use bluetooth. I mean, if I can use the onstar speakers to talk and listen, etc I figured it wouldn't be hard to just pair a phone to that speaker system. Is there a way to do that or do I just need to buy a separate system?

·
Registered
120 Posts
jstpsntym said:
Don't forget to say "Bluetooth" when the Onstar first says "ready".
SO the 'voice' command only works through Onstar and not the regular bluetooth commands. I do not want to use Onstar for calling, only my cell phone.

·
Registered
297 Posts
barhoc11 said:
SO the 'voice' command only works through Onstar and not the regular bluetooth commands. I do not want to use Onstar for calling, only my cell phone.
Once your phone is paired, you are using your phone for calling. The bluetooth menu allows your "phone" voice commands to work rather than relying on the OnStar voice commands.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts