GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the word...anyone know anything about this? I'd love to use my blackberry for more than just phone calls w/ the car, without having to plug it into the aux input.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I'm pretty sure the Bluetooth system in these vehicles does not support stereo bluetooth.

It would be great if they did, though! Definitely a feature I would be using all the time.

·
Registered
698 Posts
SnowItch said:
You are correct. It would be great, but to be honest, the implementations I've used of stereo blue tooth have many issues. I'm sure that went into the decision not to support it.
It depends on the hardware, phone/device, BT version etc. I've been using A2DP for years and own half a dozen BT stereo headsets. I used to have a Motorola handsfree bluetooth device for the car that had a built-in FM transmitter and played A2DP. That thing worked great!

I believe the Ford Sync system has A2DP capabilities as well.

Earlier implementations left a lot to be desired (bitrate, etc) but the technology has matured quite a bit IMHO. They probably could have integrated it into the Terrain/Equinox quite easily and I wish they had!

·
Registered
698 Posts
SnowItch said:
but not enough IMHO.
Meh to each his own I suppose. Let's agree to disagree.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'm still waiting on my Terrain, but from messing around with the model in the showroom (SLT1, no nav), there doesn't seem to be any stereo bluetooth support. I paired an iPhone 3G, and wasn't able to get it to play via. bluetooth at all. The phone itself said the stereo BT wasn't supported on the connected. I know Sync has it, and it works well - I had a chance to play around with a Flex at a Microsoft show (Sync is admittedly heads and heels above any other infotainment system).

This is one of my personal small gripes with GM (and most other car manufacturers). Adding something like stereo bluetooth would cost close to nothing, as it's ultimately just a matter of the bluetooth chip inside the stereo needing to support it. We're talking the difference between a $12 chip and a $14 chip, and even then most BT chipsets fully support all BT profiles now (like stereo BT). It's silly that it's not supported, but oh well. Except for Sync, most cars' BT implementations leave a bit to be desired. Even BMW is extremely lackluster in the BT/iPhone support department.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SnowItch...what COOL solution! thanks. I've fooled with a2dp for many years, and am familiar with it's many implementation issues, and I think that it is to the point now where this would work. Easy enough to specify a2dp profiles for this device, and phone device separately for the onstar/NOX, and they should play nicely. THANKS!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts