GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a bit of searching before posting (as I didn't want this to be a completely redundant thread and hopefully the slight variations will warrant starting anew)...

My 2011 Terrain just turned 1 month old. My iPhone 4's OS was recently updated to 4.3.3. Here's the scenario:

My phone and vehicle have already been paired. I get in the car, start it, and the Terrain and iPhone successfully link to one another (so far so good). When I attempt to place a call - or better yet - when I attempt to perform any activity requiring communication over Bluetooth, I notice the connection is lost momentarily (iPhone's BT icon no longer lit) then after about 10 solid seconds, the connection is reestablished. This is followed by the Terrain Lady saying, "Unable to place call on your Bluetooth phone". The problem? It does this about 8 out of 10 times (sporadic issue) and I'm unable to isolate what the actual cause could be. Have not tried other phones and also couldn't say if the recent update is the culprit (4.3.3). Attempted un-pairing and repairing process as a basic troubleshooting measure.

I just wanted to throw this info out there in case there are others experiencing the same symptoms (to let you know you're not alone). I didn't start this thread so that twenty+ people could all chime in to say that their phones are working flawlessly :D

Hoping the next iOS update may solve this little gremlin...

Lem

·
Registered
77 Posts
I am having the same issue. I have noticed issues from day on w/ 4.3.1 and iPhone4 not just 4.3.3

However I am jailbroken. It's more of a Terrain Bluetooth issue coupled with a Apple issue. The problem is there is no "real bluetooth standard" so everyone kind of does there own thing.

However I am leaning on GM! My wife's iphone4 works flawlessly in here traverse!!

I am not impressed at all with the terrain Nav/entertainment unit

·
Registered
79 Posts
Same problem here and it's driving me nuts!!! My iphone 4 is jailbroken on 4.3.3 but I don't think this has anything to do with the jailbreak at all since my phone worked flawlessly with my Blueant S4 in my previous vehicle. I've also tried deleting the pairing and re-pairing my phone several times but that has not solved the problem. I don't know what else I can do at this point either since I don't have another phone that I can try. This is actually my first vehicle with built-in bluetooth and I was really looking forward to using it, but I'm very disappointed in it thus far. I can't necessarily blame it on my Terrain since I don't know where the problem is, but I do know that it's not working like it should be and that's unacceptable.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Are you putting the phone in the cup holder? The chrome trim around the cup holder shorts out / interferes with the phone.

I use an iPhone for work and I have to put it elsewhere.

·
Registered
79 Posts
mIX said:
Are you putting the phone in the cup holder? The chrome trim around the cup holder shorts out / interferes with the phone.

Seriously? You've actually narrowed it down to the cup holder? I definitely put my phone in the cup holder a lot but I'm not 100% sure that it's always in the cup holder when it drops the bluetooth connection. I'll certainly try it out to see if that's the cause of the problem though.

Is your phone in a case or no?

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
I've noticed that I've had the same issue... Its not always all the time. . . Think it has a mind of its own. I place my phone in the little cubby area underneath the CD player & i have a case on my phone. [/color]

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mIX said:

Whoa... very interesting... and yes... I have to admit, I ALWAYS have my phone in the cup holder... I'll definitely give it a shot with the phone in a different location and seriously hope (fingers-crossed) your theory is correct. Thanks for the info mIX!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
psywzrd said:
Same problem here and it's driving me nuts!!! My iphone 4 is jailbroken on 4.3.3 but I don't think this has anything to do with the jailbreak at all since my phone worked flawlessly with my Blueant S4 in my previous vehicle. I've also tried deleting the pairing and re-pairing my phone several times but that has not solved the problem. I don't know what else I can do at this point either since I don't have another phone that I can try. This is actually my first vehicle with built-in bluetooth and I was really looking forward to using it, but I'm very disappointed in it thus far. I can't necessarily blame it on my Terrain since I don't know where the problem is, but I do know that it's not working like it should be and that's unacceptable.
I know exactly whatcha mean! Bluetooth integration was one of the features I was looking forward to the most. But it does get rather frustrating placing calls, only to have the other party saying, "Hello, hello?? Hellooooo??" all while the phone and vehicle disconnect and reconnect. Many times, I've had the other party hang up since they think I'm no longer on the line.

·
Registered
79 Posts
TerrainLem said:
Whoa... very interesting... and yes... I have to admit, I ALWAYS have my phone in the cup holder... I'll definitely give it a shot with the phone in a different location and seriously hope (fingers-crossed) your theory is correct. Thanks for the info mIX!
Are we even sure that's real chrome though? I assumed it was just a shiny type of plastic.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have the iphone 4 with 4.3.3. I have not had any problems with the bluetooth, however I use the mini tray in front of the center storage. I'll have to try the cup holder and report back.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Sburngasser and psywzrd,

Have you brought this to the attention of your local dealer? There are many benefits to taking a vehicle to your local dealership. You can guarantee that technicians are certified and that the parts come with a GM parts warranty. For these reasons, I would recommend taking the vehicle to your local dealership to be diagnosed. They should be able to assist you further and have a plan for addressing the issue. I can also look into this issue further. In order to do more research, I will need some more specific information from you such as your name, address, phone number, the VIN for the vehicle, and current mileage. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact me either on the thread or via private message. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I put my phone in the spot in front of arm rest. I figured it was the phone, but if others have no issues then maybe the Nav infotainment system??

·
Registered
978 Posts
No OEM Nav...and no IPhone 4 problems OS 4.2.8

Edit: using Verizon

·
Registered
77 Posts
But I would need to know what firmware ur Nav is using? My phone worked better with my car prior to me bringing it in for the Nav fan issue. I wonder if they flashed Nav unit to another version and it's not playing nice??

·
Registered
115 Posts
I've got an iphone4 running 4.3.3 and the pioneer sound system without nav. It's definitely got bugs talking to each other. The Bluetooth symbol comes up and it drops calls and sometimes doesn't recognize numbers when I select to call. It will start dialing, then it will disconnect or even drop the BT signal after the other party picks up. I've had a couple calls start, I hear them talking over the speakers, then it cuts out and I see my phone still has the call in play.
My 2009 Sierra never had this problem.
I put the phone in the large compartment under the cd slot because there isn t really a better place, cept the cupholder. I can't tell if it's the software on the phone or the head unit.
Oh ya, and my iPod will disconnect frequently. I have a 160GB classic that stays in the center console and it stays plugged in to the USB port. I hit the Aux/USB button and it doesn't even recognize that I have the iPod connected. I unplug the iPod for a couple seconds, then plug it back in. It works, buts it's frustrating. It also does this when I do advanced searches sometimes. I am thinking it's the head unit if I have issues like this with both a BT device and a device plugged in.

·
Registered
978 Posts
There is ONE more variable to consider here.

Who is using Verizon and who is using AT&T ?

Hmmm...

·
Registered
79 Posts
MOCHANOX said:
There is ONE more variable to consider here.

Who is using Verizon and who is using AT&T ?

Hmmm...
I'm using AT&T but I HIGHLY doubt that would have anything to do with it. We're talking about a possible issue with the bluetooth radio, not the cellular radios. Unless the Verizon and AT&T versions of the iphone use different bluetooth radios (highly unlikely), the problem must be somewhere else.

·
Registered
77 Posts
My 2010 Caddy CTS didn't have any issues with IPhone 4, and the wife's 2011 traverse is good to go all the time!

I blame Terrain head unit!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Chevrolet Customer Svc said:
Sburngasser and psywzrd,

Have you brought this to the attention of your local dealer? There are many benefits to taking a vehicle to your local dealership. You can guarantee that technicians are certified and that the parts come with a GM parts warranty. For these reasons, I would recommend taking the vehicle to your local dealership to be diagnosed. They should be able to assist you further and have a plan for addressing the issue. I can also look into this issue further. In order to do more research, I will need some more specific information from you such as your name, address, phone number, the VIN for the vehicle, and current mileage. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact me either on the thread or via private message. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
I have not taken my car in to the dealership for this issue but I will certainly mention it when I bring it in for its first oil change. I will send you a PM with the information you requested.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts