GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been digging around the internet for information about bluetooth A2DP streaming in a GMC Terrain. Information is sparse and scattered. On another thread one equinox user claims they are able to get their radio to a GM Music Connect bluetooth setup screen by hitting menu/select once in the Aux input setting. It didn't work for me. I have a hard time believing this was true anyway.

After searching, I only found one (external adapter) device that looks like it could possibly work - its the Anycom FIPO device, which appears should plug into the USB jack with an appropriate iPOD cable and appear as an iPod device to the Terrain. The literature claims audio and audio controls will be available. I haven't seen anyone saying they tried this device in a equinox or terrain - though like all the other "supported" devices, it should work. Which leads me to, has anyone tried it? Its clearly a cheap way to add A2DP BT streaming if it does.

I realize there are only analog only devices that will definitely work (utilizing the 3.5mm jack, not the USB input), but with these you don't get the audio control portion of BT streaming.

-Scott
2011 GMC Terrain, Onyx Black exterior , Jet black/black interior SLE-2 w/convenience package

·
Registered
196 Posts
Just ordered one for cheap on eBay. We will see!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Please update us ASAP.......Im interested in this as well.

·
Registered
196 Posts
i will update when i can.

Should get it in a few days

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Superboy95 said:
Me 3. That other guy had pics of the menu screens too - wierd but didn't work for me either.
Yeah, I should rephrase what I said, I believe him, I mean geesh there were pictures. I dug around and found this URL:

camaro5.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=75817&d=1259212757

It kinda seems to support the UYZ radio code being in at least used 2010 equinox and shared with other radio (GM) models that do support bluetooth streaming. The bulletin was issued before 2011 models were out, so you can't draw any conclusions about 2011 models I guess. This is just a theory of mine... but I wonder if in 2010 when they couldn't make the equinox fast enough they needed to borrow a higher end radio model from the camaro. The Terrain isn't on that bulletin, so I doubt any Terrain owner will find this bluetooth GMusicConnect feature.

Wonder how hard a retrofit a UYZ radio ( if this FIPO adapter doesn't work out ). Fingers crossed. Mine will be here 12/17.

-Scott

·
Registered
64 Posts
Apparently this BT Streaming Audio feature is a software programming issue not a hardware issue so I guess we need to find out more from a dealer tech or somebody on this forum who works at a dealer.

Probably something in the Tech2 tool menu.

I know with my iPhone4 I can stream audio through BT to the 2011 Ford SYNC My Ford Touch system but Mr Steve jobs has disabled the ability to allow the iPhone4 to send text messages to SYNC for conversion to speech.

Thanks Mr Jobs, I guess $2 Billion isn't enough Apple needs more money even at the expense of safety.

According to GM Authority Website, On* is working on text to speech conversion for our 2010/2011 On* systems so there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Sgt1411 said:
According to GM Authority Website, On* is working on text to speech conversion for our 2010/2011 On* systems so there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
Might actually lean me toward turning On* back on...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I didn't have any luck here. I got the anycom fipo device, plugged it into the USB jack and the radio didn't notice anything connected. No message of any kind - just the standard "Audio Jack Out" when nothing is plugged in. On the other side of things, my HTC Incredible paired to the FIPO device and streamed audio to it no problem - the HTC incredible tells you when you try to adjust audio that its streaming audio to a bluetooth device - the FIPO device. so that side worked fine.

I'll admit I don't know crap about iPods. I don't have any iPod version to actually test the USB jack with - I wish I did. The FIPO did not come with a cable to connect the FIPO to the the USB jack. I just went to Best Buy and got a Dynex 30 pin dock to USB connector - that they call a "Charge and PC sync" cable. The FIPO was clearly powered on by the connection, but I guess I worry if a "Charge and sync" cable is the right cable iPod cable. Its misleading if it is the same cable you would use to connect your ipod to the vehicle and control and play music from it, because this certainly is more than charging and syncing to a PC. Hopefully somebody here knows something about the iPods and can answer that question. In the meantime I might actually try to find someone who has an iPod and give it a try.

-Scott

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Follow up, I tested my system with a 3 year old 30GB iPod. The radio automatically switches to the iPod connection when its plugged in. I utilized the Apple made cable to hook up my Sprint branded Anycom FIPO and I can for sure that it does not work. Major bummer. -Scott

·
Registered
196 Posts
I should get mine soon, mine is not sprint branded.....that might make a difference

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
djmodifyd said:
I should get mine soon, mine is not sprint branded.....that might make a difference
Yeah that I why I mentioned mine was sprint branded. My instruction manual is not from sprint, it was the Anycom version. I hope you actually get a newer anycom labeled version that mentions "EDR" on the box. I saw a box picture from another car forum - my manual didnt mention EDR which is something Anycom apparently added later, leading me to believe the Sprint model *may* be an older version.
Sprint was clearing these things out for $9.99 and I suspect a few people were wise to their value and snapped them up to resell them, so I hope you actually get a new version with the Anycom box.

Maybe there is a reason Anycom is out of business - I've seen the same story in many car forums that it wouldn't connect. I am super bummed.

-Scott

·
Registered
196 Posts
Lucky13 said:
Yeah that I why I mentioned mine was sprint branded. My instruction manual is not from sprint, it was the Anycom version. I hope you actually get a newer anycom labeled version that mentions "EDR" on the box. I saw a box picture from another car forum - my manual didnt mention EDR which is something Anycom apparently added later, leading me to believe the Sprint model *may* be an older version.
Sprint was clearing these things out for $9.99 and I suspect a few people were wise to their value and snapped them up to resell them, so I hope you actually get a new version with the Anycom box.

Maybe there is a reason Anycom is out of business - I've seen the same story in many car forums that it wouldn't connect. I am super bummed.

-Scott
same boat as you.
mine doesnt work either...equinox doesn't see anything plugged in. there is power to the fipo because the LED lights up and I can get my iphone to pair to it, but nothing shows up on the stereo like if i plug my iphone directly in. :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
So I bought a 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS about a month ago. I was playing around in the menu on the radio and found the Bluetooth menu for pairing a GPS device. I clicked on that and it came up with GMusicConnect and now I'm able to stream music and any navigation information from my Droid to the Camaro.

Fast forward, I bought my wife a 2011 GMC Terrain about 2 weeks ago with the Pioneer system and no NAV. I got into the same menu, actually the menus look the same, and select Bluetooth and then pair a GPS device and it doesn't work.

I don't know if I'm not doing the same procedure as I did in my Camaro or what, but I can't get it to work on the Terrain. I've spent about 2 hours trying to get it to work. It is getting rather frustrating!

·
Registered
10,499 Posts
Gene Culley said:
So I bought a 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS about a month ago. I was playing around in the menu on the radio and found the Bluetooth menu for pairing a GPS device. I clicked on that and it came up with GMusicConnect and now I'm able to stream music and any navigation information from my Droid to the Camaro.

Fast forward, I bought my wife a 2011 GMC Terrain about 2 weeks ago with the Pioneer system and no NAV. I got into the same menu, actually the menus look the same, and select Bluetooth and then pair a GPS device and it doesn't work.

I don't know if I'm not doing the same procedure as I did in my Camaro or what, but I can't get it to work on the Terrain. I've spent about 2 hours trying to get it to work. It is getting rather frustrating!
Save yout time - it doesn't work - there is a thread on this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
yep, just got my new Anycom FIPO adapter and rushed to my 2011 Equinox. Does not work. Wish I had found this forum before buying it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts