GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I know there are other questions about bluetooth but I haven't seen an answer for a problem my wife is having with her 2011 Terrain. We have tried (4) different phones, Motorola, LG and 2 different Samsungs all on the list of compatible phones. The probelm is when she calls out it is really a lot of static on the other end. Whoever is on the other end comes through clear thru the speakers but she sounds horrible to the person she is calling. Had it at the dealer today...only time other than routine maintenance at 30,000+ miles...and had them look into this issue. Of course I was there not the wife and they said they need her phone to get a number off of it so GM tech can get the proper code for the VCIM. All phones pair up great, all functions work great she just sounds awful when she makes a call. Does this with the OnStar phone also. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
Carl G.

·
Registered
241 Posts
CG said:
Ok I know there are other questions about bluetooth but I haven't seen an answer for a problem my wife is having with her 2011 Terrain. We have tried (4) different phones, Motorola, LG and 2 different Samsungs all on the list of compatible phones. The probelm is when she calls out it is really a lot of static on the other end. Whoever is on the other end comes through clear thru the speakers but she sounds horrible to the person she is calling. Had it at the dealer today...only time other than routine maintenance at 30,000+ miles...and had them look into this issue. Of course I was there not the wife and they said they need her phone to get a number off of it so GM tech can get the proper code for the VCIM. All phones pair up great, all functions work great she just sounds awful when she makes a call. Does this with the OnStar phone also. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
Carl G.
Sounds like the microphone in the headliner is bad or there is a wire loose somewhere for the mic especially since it is doing the same with the cell phone and OnStar builtin cell.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, the wife and I just walked in from doing an experiment. It seems the microphone in the overhead console is the only one working. I am guessing that is a microphone directly above the driver and then one in center over the rear passenger seat. Neither of those are working at all....if that is what they are. I tried tapping on each of them and nothing came through on a call but when I tapped on the one in the overhead console(just to the left of the reading lamp) it comes through very loud. So I am guessing there is something wrong there...unless somebody else has any ideas?

It is going back to the dealer on Monday...with the wife's phone...

Carl G.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I would concur the microphones are bad. Either a bad wire somehow or a bad microphone. Since it's two of them, it may even be as simple as a bad connection that isn't fully seated. Seems odd that two would go out at the same time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It seems the two microphones embedded in the headliner are the noise cancellation detection microphones. I forgot to state this is an I4. From what I understand those microphones look for a low hum produced by the engine and cancell it out through the stereo system much like a set of noise cancellation headphones. I just discovered this and did not know thats what they were. The only microphone for the OnStar or Bluetooth is in the overhead console next to the drivers side reading lamp. So considering the voice coming into the car sounds fine and clear and the sound going out of the car is static I would concur with your thought that the microphone is bad. I'll have them look into this Monday. I appreciate everyones input.

Carl G.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tricia I have been dealing with this for awhile. The VCIM was replaced as well as the microphone . Just today two service techs along with my wife were able to duplicate the problem while talking to Onstar rep with wifes phone connected via Bluetooth . This has been very frustrating. The dealer kept telling me everything was fixed. The problem is still yet to be resolved. The problem i s you have to be a highway speed to replicate the static and breaking up that is happening. So a new mic and VCIM did not fix the problem. Vetizon is service provider phone has been replaced and is GM approved list. Dealer is Alexander Chevrrolet Buick GMC Dickson Tn. Please follow up on this.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
CG said:
Tricia I have been dealing with this for awhile. The VCIM was replaced as well as the microphone . Just today two service techs along with my wife were able to duplicate the problem while talking to Onstar rep with wifes phone connected via Bluetooth . This has been very frustrating. The dealer kept telling me everything was fixed. The problem is still yet to be resolved. The problem i s you have to be a highway speed to replicate the static and breaking up that is happening. So a new mic and VCIM did not fix the problem. Vetizon is service provider phone has been replaced and is GM approved list. Dealer is Alexander Chevrrolet Buick GMC Dickson Tn. Please follow up on this.
Did the dealer test the vehicle at highway speeds? Please contact me privately as I will need more information to assist you. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts