GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

2013 2.4L AWD owner here. This is the nicest vehicle I've ever owned.

Recently the blower motor started acting up in the strangest way. Some days it doesn't work at all. Some days it works just fine. Some days it doesn't work for awhile and then spins to life on its own.

On the days it doesn't work at all I've developed a work around that gets things going while I research this further.

1. No blower speeds
2. Remove glove box and cabin air filter
3. Place blower speed on #1 or #2 speed
4. Reach inside squirrel cage and give the fan a gentle push
5. Fan spins to life and works the remainder of the trip, all day, and sometimes for multiple days
6. Sometime later (sometimes days later, other times the next morning) start back at 1.

One thing I noticed is that on two separate occasions the fan started spinning when I've closed the driver door on my way to the passenger side to get a look. It rocks the cab a bit, maybe knocking the blower into action. This makes me slant towards a bad blower motor.

However, there are times when the fan works fine, but gets a strange sluggish start. For instance if the car is started on a middle fan speed, I can tell the blower is starting slowly due to the air flow, it may spin up a little, then down, then back up, back and forth a few times, then eventually landing on the proper fan speed and works flawlessly after that. During this scenario the fan makes a few mild tick/click sounds as it is spinning up to speed. Another indication of a bad blower motor? I'm not sure.

None of these scenarios happen with enough regularity to say exactly what I'll encounter tomorrow, but it has definitely been happening more frequently lately.

What do you think?

·
Registered
540 Posts
it sounds like the motor to me, because you can move it to get it started. Replace it with an AC Delco replacement, they give a lifetime replacement on the parts store ones, because they don't last very long. They're pretty cheap last i looked.

·
Registered
9,973 Posts
Not sure how much they cost, nor how hard it is to replace, but...might a bit of lubricant on the motor bearings help some of the starting friction, and get that motor to operation the fan ?

I always look for the cheap and easy solutions before I do the more time consuming and more expensive solutions !

Just a thought !

BTW, I have a "motor lubricant" that I bought from Ace Hardware for a few $, and it has a 3-4" small hose that snakes out of the bottle to reach hard to get to places.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Id try a little lube....
while my replacement part arrives via ebay/amazon.

·
Registered
13 Posts
When it works, it works great. Blows strong and all speeds work without issue.
Then it is definitely the motor. You wouldn't get variable speeds otherwise. I just changed mine and it was pretty easy. With mine I could push-start it for a couple weeks but eventually it died completely. I would recommend replacing it before it dies completely.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts