GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1978 Dodge D100, 2017 Chevy Equinox, 2011 Chevy Equinox
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I’ve got a 2011, and a 2017 chevy equinox. The 2011 is an ltz with the 2.4 gas engine, and the 2017 is an lt with the same engine. I read somewhere that the lt, and ltz should have come stock with a block heater, however I cannot find the cable anywhere. If it’s true that it came stock with both cars am i just missing the cable? It also happens that both cars have both had serious work done in that part of the car. A deer was hit with one, and a timing chain was replaced in the other. I found this diagram online which i believe is the right thing, but I’m not sure. I really just want to know if my cars did come with a block heater stock. If they did i’m going to assume that both auto shops just didn’t replace the cable.
View attachment 18427
Is this the correct diagram? If it is, and my cars should have come with block heaters, how can I tell for sure. Is there any information anywhere that will tell me what configs my cars have?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Block heaters are an option not stock. In some parts of Canada and the US cars were delivered with them as it's how dealers ordered them up in the north country.

·
Registered
2022 Equinox RS AWD, 1.5T, Iron Gray Metallic, Build Date 12/10/21 Purchased 12/17/21
260 Posts
IMO if you use synthetic oil, there is no need for a block heater. I live in Canada and it has been -31C and -33C the last 2 nights and I had no issue starting. We get several nights like these every year and I never used a block heater on my 95 Beretta Z26 V6, 2000 Venture V6, 2004 Century V6, 2009 Impala V6, 2013 Nox V6 and 2022 Nox 1.5 4cyl. All used synthetic oil and never had an issue starting. I did have block heaters on some of these but never plugged them in, they were used cars and already had them.

Of course if someone feels the need for one, that's their choice and nothing wrong with that. Added peace of mind does have value. Just my 5 cents (adjusted for Joe's inflation)

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Yep just had -25F start up in my Tahoe yesterday without any issues in the NY ADK's. Full synth 5-30w
Gotta love those sounds on startup in the subzero temps.

·
Registered
1978 Dodge D100, 2017 Chevy Equinox, 2011 Chevy Equinox
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do use synthetic oil, and I really don’t need it. But this poor engine needs as much help as it can get sometimes.

·
Registered
2022 Equinox RS AWD, 1.5T, Iron Gray Metallic, Build Date 12/10/21 Purchased 12/17/21
260 Posts
That remind me, when buying the 22, I was talking with a mechanic and the salesman and the mechanic recommended a block heater. He was a young guy and I laughed and told him there was no reason to have one using synthetic oil. He just gave a blank stare and walked away.

·
Registered
2022 Equinox RS, AWD 1.5L
86 Posts
Nothing wrong with using a block heater. I use one all the time when it gets below -15C
Why not? Nothing better then getting in to a car that warms up so much faster on a cold morning.
So it costs a few cents in hydro, its up to the individual.
My 22 RS came with one from the factory (unfortunately since 2006 they are thermostatically controlled and only come on at -18C (0F)

Jason

Reactions: garagerog

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi. I’ve got a 2011, and a 2017 chevy equinox. The 2011 is an ltz with the 2.4 gas engine, and the 2017 is an lt with the same engine. I read somewhere that the lt, and ltz should have come stock with a block heater, however I cannot find the cable anywhere. If it’s true that it came stock with both cars am i just missing the cable? It also happens that both cars have both had serious work done in that part of the car. A deer was hit with one, and a timing chain was replaced in the other. I found this diagram online which i believe is the right thing, but I’m not sure. I really just want to know if my cars did come with a block heater stock. If they did i’m going to assume that both auto shops just didn’t replace the cable.
View attachment 18427
Is this the correct diagram? If it is, and my cars should have come with block heaters, how can I tell for sure. Is there any information anywhere that will tell me what configs my cars have?
I've got a 2011 LS, the block heater is an option. I had the factory GM block heater installed a few years after buying mine. I'd say don't bother installing them unless your winter temps routinely drop to -18 degrees C and below. It's a thermostatically controlled block heater, which means it won't turn on unless the temps are that cold.

·
Registered
6 Posts
View attachment 18427
Do you notice, on very cold starts, that the engine is sluggish in turning over? My battery was replaced a year ago, so it's not a power issue. I'm not even sure it's an issue at all. I just assume it's a result of a very cold block and fluids.

·
Registered
2015 Equinox LT 2.4L AWD / 2009 Torrent GT 3.4L AWD
219 Posts
Get a block heater, your vehicle will thank you for that. We are in Canada not Hawaii. The block heater helps to start the vehicle. Synthetic oil thicken too under extreme temperature... I know because I tried to change the oil in my vehicle first thing in the morning. It was only -10C and I didn't let it warm up before draining, the oil came out like molasses. If you can start the vehicle at -31 because your vehicle is being driven daily and the battery is fully charged from the travel. If you let it sit for few days which we often do now because of COVID. Starting a cold engine is a chore. A battery loses 20 per cent of its capacity in freezing weather and 50 per cent when temperature reach -30 degrees Celsius.

If the cord cannot be found check under the engine. Maybe it was removed because of crack and frayed cord. Even the OEM cord cracks after few years of use. I replaced mine with an after market one in fall.

Yes, GM put a thermostat on the plug and it won't conduct electricity unless the temperature has dropped below -18C (0 F) because the main computer in the vehicle measures the ambient temperature and the coolant temperature to adjust the fuel mixture. You will notice that when you start the vehicle in a cold morning you have a puff of black smoke coming out the tail pipe because of the rich fuel mixture to ensure the engine starts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Get a block heater, your vehicle will thank you for that. We are in Canada not Hawaii. The block heater helps to start the vehicle. Synthetic oil thicken too under extreme temperature... I know because I tried to change the oil in my vehicle first thing in the morning. It was only -10C and I didn't let it warm up before draining, the oil came out like molasses. If you can start the vehicle at -31 because your vehicle is being driven daily and the battery is fully charged from the travel. If you let it sit for few days which we often do now because of COVID. Starting a cold engine is a chore. A battery loses 20 per cent of its capacity in freezing weather and 50 per cent when temperature reach -30 degrees Celsius.

If the cord cannot be found check under the engine. Maybe it was removed because of crack and frayed cord. Even the OEM cord cracks after few years of use. I replaced mine with an after market one in fall.

Yes, GM put a thermostat on the plug and it won't conduct electricity unless the temperature has dropped below -18C (0 F) because the main computer in the vehicle measures the ambient temperature and the coolant temperature to adjust the fuel mixture. You will notice that when you start the vehicle in a cold morning you have a puff of black smoke coming out the tail pipe because of the rich fuel mixture to ensure the engine starts.
would you recommend doing what some have suggested by removing the thermostat plug end and simply wiring in a standard three prong plug? Some people say they've had no issues, while some people say it generates an error code.

·
Registered
2015 Equinox LT 2.4L AWD / 2009 Torrent GT 3.4L AWD
219 Posts
As I have said the thermostat controlled plug has to do with the sensors and computer in the vehicle. If you use a three prong plug the coolant temperature will not match with the ambient temperature, sooner or later you will get an error code. It is not an environmental initiative to limit the power usage, it is the idea of the genius engineers. The new vehicles we are driving are heavily relying on the sensors, computer and battery. One disagreement will halt the vehicle from functioning correctly.

If you insist to use a three prong cord, just get a new cord to replace it. The cost is only $18 CAD+tax (the cheapest I can find n my area). Don't cut the plug and wiring in the end piece. You are just asking for trouble and a chance of electrocution.

·
Registered
6 Posts
As I have said the thermostat controlled plug has to do with the sensors and computer in the vehicle. If you use a three prong plug the coolant temperature will not match with the ambient temperature, sooner or later you will get an error code. It is not an environmental initiate to limit the power usage, it is the idea of the genius engineers. The new vehicles we are driving are heavily relying on the sensors, computer and battery. One disagreement will halt the vehicle from functioning correctly.

If you insist to use a three prong cord, just get a new cord to replace it. The cost is only $18 CAD+tax (the cheapest I can find n my area). Don't cut the plug and wiring in the end piece. You are just asking for trouble and a chance of electrocution.
There's no way I'd cut the cord. I'd just purchase a replacement. My primary concern is draining the battery. As you said, Covid is keeping many of us home and cars undriven. I've only driven mine twice this year, and not for long at all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts