GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new and this is my 1st post so be patient with my ignorance if there appears to be any. I haven't bought a hanes manual yet so I thought I might ask if anyone knows what the part name or/and # would be for that big plastic box located just in front of the gas tank is.? My wife hit a semi tire on the freeway about a year ago. (she has a 2009 nox),the following day the check engine light came on.Auto zone said it was an emissions problem. Last week while crawling around under said (pos), I noticed the evap lines going to this box,I couldn't help but notice that this plastic box is broke on both sides with something loose on one side of the inside of it and little charcoal pellets dropping in my open mouth from the other side of it. I have to assume this is why the check engine light has been on ever since.
Thats the 1st part of my (our) problem.
The 2nd part is, the vehicle has started to misfire for the last week. Generally in town driving and from a dead stop to acceleration and going uphill. Highway driving it isnt bad. After reading the owners manual I concluded that the misfiring was due to not fixing the problem when it happened a year ago,but I couldnt find nothing wrong and it drove fine so we just let the light stay on and ignored it. I can't ignore the misfiring,it's getting annoying and possibly dangerous because it seems like sometimes it just doesn't want to accelerate when there are oncoming vehicles and its just sputtering. Not a good thing to ignore now. I went into an O'reillys and asked someone what that box was and his answer was he didn't know,needless to say but I'm gonna anyway,I will not be visiting another one of those stores again. But I hope whatever that thing is and I get to replacing it,that that will be the end of the problems.
I did visit Auto Zone(didn't even ask them about it because all I wanted was a trouble code and I like Auto zone), and the code I got is PO449. Anybody out there with the same symptoms and have figured out what the misfiring is and might be able to steer me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. As for the box,I honestly don't know if i have maybe 2 separate problems or not,OH i forgot to mention,sometimes while or just before it starts to misfire,the check engine light flashes 5 or 6 times. Doesn't do it very often tho. I also am person of limited cash flow at the moment too so that it why I havent bought a manual yet. As for replacing the whatever the hell that is that broke,I hope to find a nox that is being parted out . Wow , quite a book for a 1st post. And yes the fuel milelage sucks on this vehicle and always has since day one. It's in my opinion one of the worst to drive in snow and even the slightest amount of slush too. with any luck maybe it will be her car getting parted out soon.lol
Thanks in advance for any help,Don M.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm no technician, but if the evap lines are going into that box and it has charcoal in it, I believe it's the evap canister. I think your issues are quite possibly related as well. Kind of odd that the misfire started so long after initial incident, but maybe time has worn on it.

Code PO449 is an evap vent/solenoid malfunction. Maybe the canister has been broken and water or something has caused the solenoid to wear out. I think either way you definitely start by replacing that canister and go from there.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
CANISTER, EVAP EMIS (INCLUDES COVER AND FILTER) (ACDelco #215-676) LG

DTC P0449: Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Vent Solenoid Valve Control Circuit

:cheers:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was gonna assume that it was the chacoal canister,but generally,a canister is just that, cylindrical. this is a shoebox sized monster that I have never seen before. Yes repairing that would and should be my next step.and will be when I can,I just needed a name and part #,looks like I might have both,thanks for the feedback from both of you.As I get further I will update. thx again.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
couple of things wrong here...

over a year with a CEL on- and not get it serviced..

thre 2nd item.
when your CEL light flashes- it means DO NOT DRIVE the car. (especially under load)
When its flashing- its a warning- that possible damage is being done to the emissions system.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i thought thats what i wrote,that i let the light go for about a year .yep sure did
But it is a steady on,not flashing,the flashing I may have mentioned was probably a new code being logged in. Because today I found out when I went to clear codes that I now have a PO301,#1 cylinder misfire.
Evap canister is replaced and PO449 is gone.

·
Registered
312 Posts
That flashing light basically means don't drive because you are damaging the emissions system..Your catalytic convertors are probable toast by now. Sorry, but driving for over a year with the damage will only lead to other damages.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok,I have replaced the vapor canister and seems to have taken care of PO449. Thats a good start because thats has been on for quite awhile.
The misfiring is still there although it is not all the time,only when going uphill and when i jump on it , it seems to do fine but I just can't figure it out just yet. When i went to auto zone and had them clear the code,there was a new one. PO301,which is "cylinder #1 misfire detected". So what do I check for that?
I have driven maybe 30 miles city since clearing codes and nothing has happened yet as far as the check engine light. but it still misfires going uphill,not sure what to do. And please don't ask me if I have taken it to the dealer or anywhere for service,the answer is no I don't have the cash at the moment to get bent over.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'll throw in my input since I just dealt with the missing while accelerating issue. My check engine light started coming on about a year ago but would go off...it never flashed. I had it checked a lot and it would say several different things: misfire, running lean, fuel injector something-or-another...I was also getting increasingly terrible gas mileage. I had it checked out and was told: to put fuel injector cleaner in my gas tank, to get a new gas cap, that my O2 sensors were going bad...none of that was correct.

The problem ended up being a vacuum leak AND a failing EGR valve. The longer this occurred with misdiagnosis the worse the problems got and my car started to occasionally make a noise at stop lights and after I turned the engine off that sounded like it was..um...farting. Embarrassing. The noise was apparently excess fuel $$$ being pushed out.

I ALSO hadn't had my air filter changed in several years despite the fact that I had paid for it at every 3rd oil change. Nice.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for your input dmlew. I just changed the air filter the other day,it was pretty dirty,didnt stop the misfire.
the wife and I just got back from a 20 hour trip (10 each way)., the light flashed and didnt stay on until about 5 hours into the trip. this trip included a lot of hills because we drove to the smoky mountains of North Carolina. When arriving,I had the local autozone check codes and still is the #1 cylinder misfire. I will add more as figure this out.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Like many modern cars today, each spark plug has its own coil. I don't own a Terrain or Equinox, but taking a guess that they also have individual coils.

If so, I'd be looking at the coil for that cylinder. You might take it out and switch it with a coil on a different cylinder. If the miss follows the coil, you know the coil is bad.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Put a can of Techron or Seafoam in it and see what happens. You did not mention the milage but spark plugs need to be done once in a while.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My wifes 2008 LS with 3.4L V6 had a similar problem with the missing / stumble while under load right in the 1500 - 2000 RPM range. I took it for a drive and and if I pushed on the throttle more it went away above 2000 RPM. I did a google search and similar issues said to replace the spark plug wires, and that's exactly what I did. I purchased the wires from Oreily $42 with a lifetime warranty and the problem has gone away now. I had the hardest time installing the #3 & 5 wires onto the spark plugs but got them on eventually.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts