GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member here waiting for an order....

I was wondering if it is possible to swap out the GMC emblem on the Terrain grille for another one.
I am ordering an SLT2 and was thinking about getting a black emblem for the grille.

If it is possible to swap it out, does anyone have any suggestions on places to purchase such emblem?

I would rather not have to paint it to make it black.

Thanks...

·
Registered
10,409 Posts
Most people just go with an overlay (i.e.black tape cut to size).

·
Registered
93 Posts
It is possible. I also have the SLT-2 and it came with the chrome grille (much to my dismay). I had planned on swapping out the grille myself for a black OEM one and swapping out the emblem for a painted black aluminum one I picked up off of eBay (I think it was around $45). Once I started taking a look behind the grille I soon realized that it's no easy fix -- the **** grille is so integrated into the bumper you'd have to take the bumper off just to get at the grille. Way beyond my comfort zone.

Now if it's only the emblem you want to switch, you take out the four bolts holding the top of the grille in place and the clips holding the covers over the headlights (they pry up with a small slot screwdriver) and you can reach your hand between the rad and grille while you carefully pry back the top cover of the grille. There will be two clips on the right side of the emblem (they're silver coloured and horizontal) and one on the left of the emblem (running vertical). If you have no desire to ever put it back, the easiest thing is to just snap them off with a pair of needlenose pliers. There is also some adhesive tape holding the emblem on. The black emblem that's sold on eBay comes with the necessary hardware and is pre-drilled in the appropriate spots to hold the new hardware. It's also curved to match the contours of the factory grille, but it's not as thick as the factory emblem. If you're thinking of buying the matching emblem for the rear, don't -- it doesn't have the necessary curve to fit properly on the back chrome trim (I've just returned mine because of that).

In the end, I Plasti-Dipped my grille and emblem. It's now a nice, flat black. I've held onto the new eBay GMC emblem just in case I need it down the road.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the detailed response!

Any chance you can post a picture of your grille?!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've attached a couple of pictures taken with my camera phone (may not be the best quality).

It rained on the way to work this morning, so the Terrain's a little dirty...

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks man!

That looks pretty sharp. I will probably be slapping the black emblem on, but keeping the chrome grille.

·
Registered
93 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Prefer by far the original logo with chrome grill...

IMHO...

but the important is that you love it that way.

alaric23 said:
I've attached a couple of pictures taken with my camera phone (may not be the best quality).

·
0 Posts
alaric23 said:

Looks much better than factory, but I would do the GMC in a different color.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts