GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

Bike racks & Terrain-no hitch, no roof rails, who has a good suggestion?

25K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  swannerd 
#1 ·
I'm currently planning a 4500 km. road trip from Toronto to Cape Breton Island, N.S. and I intend to bring the 2 bicycles with us. Being that the rear will be filled to the brim with everything else including the dog.... I think my only option is the hang-on style bike carrier. Has anyone used one of these on this truck for a long distance haul? Pros, cons? (aside from not being able to open back hatch!)

#3 ·
We have a hitch mounted bike rack we used to use with our old travel trailer.
That is one of the reasons I put a 2" receiver hitch on our Nox.
I haven't mounted on the Nox yet, but I'm pretty sure we can access the hatch with it in place.

This is a much better option that something that hooks on the hatch.
There will always be some reason you need to go into the back as soon as you get the bikes hung up there. :banghead:
Plus, you can use the receiver for other things later on like a cargo rack.
I bought one of them and it was great hauling our patio set home with all the chairs.

#5 ·
how the heck did I miss this thread???

anyways--

I recommend the hitch and metal hitch mounted bike rack.

THe ones that mount to the vehicle via- straps..
CONS--

well with airflow etc-- you have to constantly be going out back and checking those straps... (been there done that on my 4 door saturn)
You cant really lock the bikes to the car-- because all they have to do is cut the straps and they can a bike(s) in seconds.
Many times-- the top part of cars tailgates (SUVs/CUVs)- that part is plastic-- I think the Nox is plastic way up top-- im sure it would crack.

The hitch racks- many have locking cables incorporated into the rack.. so they cant steal the bikes-- or the rack-- because-- youve locked them to the metal bike rack- and the hitch has a locking hitch pin (bought separately)--- so they cant steal the bikes or rack

So youre not going to get a casual person walking up and taking a bike,

That being said---
I added a hitch to my Nox-- did it all myself. (I also added wiring etc) but it all came out to about $180.
this tow hitch also allows me to use my cargo rack. so you may want to think about cargo racks too- for future use..

how to add hitch- with pics- and prices on the parts I used.

http://www.equinoxforum.net/index.php?topic=6021.0

Also recently took a 717 mile/1,154 KM trip with the bikes attached.
It is a swing down bike rack.... so knowing that once the bikes are on- I cant just open the tailgate-- I pack stuff in a way that the stuff well need is closer to the rear seat. (thinking ahead)...

though if I really need to- I can take a few minutes and undo the bikes and open the tailgate.

The load in the rear.

The bikes---- kind of hard to see-- but out of the end of the bike rack- a metal cable comes out- and locks the 1st bike to the rack.
If you cant get the 1st bike off-- you cant remove the 2nd bike.

here is a close up of the bike rack mounted on my Traverse.- remove a pin and it folds down to allow the tailgate to open.

#6 ·
rbarrios

In looking at your license plate, I have a question. Do you run 100% gasoline in Mexico - unlike the 10% ethanol that most of us are stuck with in the USA ? That would account for an additional 1 MPG for your vehicle ! :thumb:

#7 ·
Hehe...

sorry for the confusion.

I Live in Los Angeles.
I simply put on those plates- to snap the pics.
I use the Jalisco Mexico-- and Mexico DF plates. (bought on ebay) In fact those are the front plates of a vehicle - as it says "delantera" meaning- Front.

I have yet to drive my Traverse or Equinox in Mexico.
But I have taken my Trailblazer halfway down into Mexico- Guadalajara. several times.
I dont remember seeing any signs of ethanol on the pumps. I didnt notice any ill effects on the engine/performance.
Theres only 1 brand of gas out there.. Pemex.

#8 ·
My concern is I don't want that unsightly style of hitch- its ok on the traverse.... but all I can seem to picture is that ugly Uhaul style hitch with the ugly black bar under the bumper (see image) however now that Ive done a bit of poking around I see there are some that conceal a bit nicer. I don't have to worry about getting lighting power as all I would ever do is need it when I'm hauling the bikes around. The crappy thing is its just something else to try and store in a small Toronto condo when not in use!

Attachments

#9 ·
Terrainguy1978 said:
My concern is I don't want that unsightly style of hitch- its ok on the traverse.... but all I can seem to picture is that ugly Uhaul style hitch with the ugly black bar under the bumper (see image) however now that Ive done a bit of poking around I see there are some that conceal a bit nicer. I don't have to worry about getting lighting power as all I would ever do is need it when I'm hauling the bikes around. The crappy thing is its just something else to try and store in a small Toronto condo when not in use!
Remember that your center piece on your lower rear fascia snaps in and out (where the hitch would poke out from the truck) so one could cut a hole in that factory trim center piece just big enough for the hitch to poke through. If your concerned on hiding the hitch itself under the truck somewhat. The rest of the hitch hides very well behind the rear fascia I find.

Just a thought...

#10 ·
POLRCUB II said:
Remember that your center piece on your lower rear fascia snaps in and out (where the hitch would poke out from the truck) so one could cut a hole in that factory trim center piece just big enough for the hitch to poke through. If your concerned on hiding the hitch itself under the truck somewhat. The rest of the hitch hides very well behind the rear fascia I find.

Just a thought...
I've got until June to figure it out! Doing an East Coast trip and want to bring the bikes... so far this seems like the best option.

#11 ·
Terrainguy1978 said:
My concern is I don't want that unsightly style of hitch- its ok on the traverse.... but all I can seem to picture is that ugly Uhaul style hitch with the ugly black bar under the bumper (see image)

I see your concern about the hitch showing... that looks pretty ugly on the Vue.

This is what my 2 inch hitch receiver looks like before and after the electrical connector.

Would the terrains bumper hide most of the hitch-- or would it look like the saturn shown above?

#13 ·
Here are pictures of the hitch on my Equinox. The plug is slid into the back side of the 2" square hitch hole and is removed for use when the hitch needs to be installed. The bumper panel removed to allow the hitch assembly was modified by cutting so it fits tightly around the installed hitch. Nothing but the 2" receiver shows. The rubber plug finishes off the install- just remove when needed.

Attachments

#14 ·
swannerd said:
Here are pictures of the hitch on my Equinox. The plug is slid into the back side of the 2" square hitch hole and is removed for use when the hitch needs to be installed. The bumper panel removed to allow the hitch assembly was modified by cutting so it fits tightly around the installed hitch. Nothing but the 2" receiver shows. The rubber plug finishes off the install- just remove when needed.
This I could live with, and I don't need power back there as I'd only be using it for the bike rack.... and I have nothing to tow! Looks like another blooming money tree for me!

#15 ·
swannerd said:
That looks really good.
Do you know which Reese part# this is?

Sounds silly but often I can see the "Hidden Hitch" badge on people's hitches that are hanging down from the under carriage.

Then I'd be like..." It's supposed to be Hidden, no?"

Thanks
- Eric

#17 ·
FYI....

Reese/Hidden-Hitch/Drawtite are made by the same company.
When I was looking to buy mine--- I found out they all had the same specs. and looked identical.
Except for the decals with the different name.
And they are all priced differently. I obviously bought the cheapest one.

#18 ·
Sorry- I don't know what brand/part number the hitch is. The dealer installed it before I picked up the vehicle and I found the rubber plug at Walmart (I'm still looking for one that has no advertising on it). If you need to order the plastic filler piece (I did) because the dealer tore off one of the plastic tabs that locks it to the bumper when they removed it to install the hitch- it costs around $12. If you can, ask for this piece back even if the tabs are broken and the piece is unusable- I cut off all the tabs and used it to make a template for cutting the hole in the new piece. This made for the tight fit around the hitch (virtually no gap).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.