GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just bought a 2011 Equinox 1LT with All Star package. We have about 450 miles and so far it's a great vehicle! We are going to have the dealer install a factory trailer hitch on it soon. I want this primarily for hauling our bicycles. We have two adult bikes and two kids bikes. I'm guessing I will need a tire mount rack because of the odd shaped and sized frames on the kids bikes. I also don't want to spend more than about $150. The rack will only get occasional use. Mostly, short 20 minute trips from our house to the bike trails a few times each summer. And, possibly on an annual 10 hour drive for vacation. Any racks would you recommend?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I found that one also. BUT, it says "Not recommended for 1-1/4" trailer hitches". So, I sent them an email and this was their response:

The carrier comes with a 2" x 2" main tube designed for Class 3 and 4 hitch receivers.

When you use and adapter like the D-185 you then extend the carrier even further out increasing the leverage on an all ready low capacity hitch receiver. The likelihood of the bike tires catch on the ground while going up a sharp steep incline is increase on top of what is likely a hitch that is all ready close to the ground as most small passenger cars have the class 1 and 2 hitch receivers. In addition, you now have another connection point that can cause rattling and be loose. which eventually fatigues the product over time.

We do not have a similar product for the 1.25" x 1,25" receiver.

Good luck in your search.

Any other suggestions??

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
e trailer.com offers hitches with 2 inch receivers for your Nox.
going this route can open up more bike and cargo rack possibilities. (Just dont tow large heavy items.)
If bike rack and cargo rack are what youll hook up to the hitch- then I would go with the 2 incher.
Here is my bike rack- I dont think this model is available from Yakima anymore- but I have seen some at discounted prices in some bike shops.
But youll want one that allows the rack to be tilted in some way so as to allow access to the tailgate.
This is on my Traverse. But as you can see the tires are high- and wont scrape the floor or steep driveway.
It also has a built on lock. In my setup- its for 2- but you could add more with additional adapters which I didnt need at the time.
I plan on getting a 2 inch hitch on mine- so that Im able to use my bike rack and my cargo rack.

remove pin to allow folding

full down position

with 2 bikes.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your thoughts and the pictures! My wife really wants "factory install" of the hitch so I'm probably stuck with the 1-1/4" receiver. I found this one: discountramps.com/4-bike-rack.htm (I'm not allowed to post links so just put www in front of that) I would probably need to buy three adapter bars for the two kid's bikes and for my wife's bike but for $95 with shipping that's not too bad. Plus about $20 each for three adapter bars... Any thoughts on this rack?

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
On the Traverse/Acadia/Enclaves- the factory hitches- come with extras- like trans coolers and tow haul switch-- and the bumpers have a cover that hide the hitch when not in use.
When owners go for aftermarket- the majority of aftermarkets- stick out a little more- and they cant use the cover. now they have an exposed hitch.... which many dont like-- especially on the Enclaves which have the lower cladding painted.
So having said that--- on the NOX- do the factory hitches have a cover or are they visible/exposed from the rear?
If the factory hitch is exposed- then I really see no reason to go with the factory 1 1/4 inch receiver.
(By the way- if the dealer installs it- they usually DO NOT install the 'factory' hitch- they usually go with an aftermarket.
(We see this all the time on the Trav/Acadia forum as part of someones deal- where the salesman says- well install a factory hitch...yeah right- owner picks up the vehicle- and an aftermarket unit has been installed (as the cover no longer fits).
Also--- I dont have experience with that type of rack shown-- but 1 thing that stands out- is no lock.
Check out the pic of my bikes- look right on the center of the bike rack- theres a black cable. this cable comes out of the metal tube- and locks to the tube. Only the 1st bike is 'locked'. as you cant get the rest of the bikes off with the 1st one being locked. This gives you a little more security if you stop in certain places for a quick bite to eat or something (gas up, bathroom break- even long red lights).

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
If the hitch is exposed- and you do end up with a 2 incher... a very useful tool is a cargo rack. The one shown is only about $60 at Harbor Freight.
I added LED park/brake/turn lamps for safety (extra cost)
As you can see- Manure is not something you want to carry inside. I use mine quite often to carry stuff- as im an active gardener.
So just giving you a heads up- if youre going to add a hitch- may as well make it more useful.
Especially since you said you have kids- and that you take vacation trips of 10 hrs or more.
In the last pic- we drove from Los Angeles to Florida. Loaded. with a baby. We actually took a gallon of milk on ice.
When we knew the baby was going to get hungry--- wed make a pit stop- grab the milk- and prep a bottle. then use a cup (that keeps your hot drinks hot) via the 12V power plug- and in about 10-15 min- the baby had a warm bottle of milk....
The point is-- one of these WILL add to your cargo capacity- It WILL make your Nox more useful.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the pictures. It's neat to see other installs and uses. I confirmed with my dealer they will install the GM hitch on my Nox for $200. Yes, the cargo rack seems like a very handy accessory! Even though I will only have an 1 1/4" receiver, I can't really see needing to put more than 300 or 350 lbs on the rack. I might also occasionally pull a trailer with my lawn tractor that the total weight might be in the 1500 lb range. But, that would only be for very short (10 mile?) trips.

What do you think of this bike rack? Search for HMBC-4 on discountramps.com. The third result is the hitch I'm looking at. I would probably need three "bike frame adapters" because of the frame design of the kids bikes and my wife's bike. I don't think I really need an expensive hitch because the primary use will be a 15 minute drive to some local bike trails. Possible we would take the bikes on a trip but that is doubtful.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I really reccommend the Yakima Double Down BR. Its durabable and not as big as the pictures above. It just does bikes however.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looks like an old thread, but I am looking at bike racks as well. My new 2012 Equinox 1LT is in the dealer getting the 1.25" "Factory" towing package installed. I think I am going with the Allen Deluxe 3 bike rack. Great reviews. Only concern is the "wobbling." I will let you all know how the no-wobble bolt works when I get it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts