GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone seen big brake kits for the Terrain? Brembo and Wildwood don't make them yet.

I know don't even say it "6 pistons fr the front of one of these?"

I got the extra 4k, I want to spend it lol

·
Registered
468 Posts
Might have to go the home made route with these. Im sure youll want to keep the same lug spacing so be sure to include BMW in the search for bigger rotors some models have the same lug spacing just different offsets. Might also have to change out the master cylinder too... maybe. Should make for an interesting challenge and all the parts should be able to be obtained at your local autoparts store.

·
Registered
17 Posts
cottonseed said:
Might have to go the home made route with these. Im sure youll want to keep the same lug spacing so be sure to include BMW in the search for bigger rotors some models have the same lug spacing just different offsets. Might also have to change out the master cylinder too... maybe. Should make for an interesting challenge and all the parts should be able to be obtained at your local autoparts store.
Cottonseed has a good point about adding BMW on you search. I put 95 M3 rims on my 93 S-10 with the help of some billet spacers to solve the offset problem.... anyway back to the big brake question. ( IMO ) you dont really need big brakes. If you wanna upgrade I suggest you look for the same size rotors but a slotted or cross drilled or if available both drilled & slotted. Also better pads & some SS brake line. ( IMO ) thats more then enough stopping power. Maybe cost you less then 1500.00. GL bud :thumb:

·
Registered
978 Posts
Also bigger rotors are going to need bigger rims...

19 or 20 to clear the caliper when it's repositioned over the larger rotor

Have you looked at Baer yet?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Maybe adapt some Camaro or G8, even GTO brakes. I would think the Camaro would be the cheaper route because they are being made now and are more plentiful. Some adapter brackets and you should be good to go.

I have C4 13" front brakes on my 96 WS6 that I did about 11 or 12 years ago.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Baer has nothing either

I would have put some nice rotors on it, but I can't seem to find any

I emailed Wildwood and joined there New Brake Kit Development Program but I don't think I'll get a reply unless they were planning on doing one for the Terrain in the first place

·
Registered
315 Posts
USFwrestler said:
Baer has nothing either

I would have put some nice rotors on it, but I can't seem to find any

I emailed Wildwood and joined there New Brake Kit Development Program but I don't think I'll get a reply unless they were planning on doing one for the Terrain in the first place
Best option is custom.....I would NEVER in my life expect a kit from baer, stoptech or brembo for the Nox or Terrain. Your dreaming if you think our cars are in that market....You cannot even find (1) aftermarket exhaust kit, or even a basic lowering kit? You expect a brake kit that would sale to less than .01% of the owners of the car to be available?

Now on the custom deal.....The 2008-2010 Chevy Cobalt SS came w/ 4 piston Brembo's.....Those calipers have been retrofitted into various other GM cars (they are monobloc and very decently priced from GM new)....You could check specs on the rotor difference, and then see about custom making a bracket adapter to fit these onto the front. Now the issue I see is REALLY when are you going to need 4 piston calipers on a Nox/Terrain? If anything, in our braking system a nice set of carbon metallic pad up front to help fight fading when pulling something is all that needed....

·
Registered
315 Posts
808SLE said:
Cottonseed has a good point about adding BMW on you search. I put 95 M3 rims on my 93 S-10 with the help of some billet spacers to solve the offset problem.... anyway back to the big brake question. ( IMO ) you dont really need big brakes. If you wanna upgrade I suggest you look for the same size rotors but a slotted or cross drilled or if available both drilled & slotted. Also better pads & some SS brake line. ( IMO ) thats more then enough stopping power. Maybe cost you less then 1500.00. GL bud :thumb:
Do you even know why someone would use slotted, cross drilled or even slotted/drilled rotors?

·
Registered
978 Posts
grometsc said:
Do you even know why someone would use slotted, cross drilled or even slotted/drilled rotors?
Easy now...

Not everyone is aware that crossdrilling and slotting are mostly cosmetic nowadays...

that outgassing is really a thing of the past with modern day brake pads...

FWIW...Magnaflow IS supposed to be marketing/selling an exhaust for both the 2.4 & 3.0 soon
No price...no release date...but it's on their website and you sign up for a notification email when it's available

But for the most part I agree...modified parts are produced based partly on demand
And there just isn't enough of the younger crowd with $$$ in this economy to justify tooling expenses

·
Registered
315 Posts
MOCHANOX said:
Easy now...

Not everyone is aware that crossdrilling and slotting are mostly cosmetic nowadays...

that outgassing is really a thing of the past with modern day brake pads...

FWIW...Magnaflow IS supposed to be marketing/selling an exhaust for both the 2.4 & 3.0 soon
No price...no release date...but it's on their website and you sign up for a notification email when it's available

But for the most part I agree...modified parts are produced based partly on demand
And there just isn't enough of the younger crowd with $$$ in this economy to justify tooling expenses
:thumb:

But on the exhaust I cannot see it tbh...Not much of a market :)

I'm content atm w/ the removed 3rd cat, resonator and painted muffler shield on my V6 :)....

·
Registered
468 Posts
If the exhaust becomes available I *may* purchase it if it is cheap enough just so I dont have my tinky tailpipe on the I4. If its too much money I will just take it to a muffler shop and see how much it would cost them to fab one up. Either way I am in no hurry at all if I even pursue that option.

·
Registered
17 Posts
grometsc said:
His question was who makes a big brake kit? My "opinion" was an "option" for something that no one makes. People use slotted,cross drilled or slotted/drilled rotors for better cooling and exiting of gasses compared to a stock rotor, maybe...or maybe just for looks...All I was trying to do was give the guy an "option". Dont dog me and ask if I know why someone would use them for and suggest for a custom set-up from another GM model but has to make a custom bracket to make them fit. But hey that answer was "your opinion" My question for you is why go through so much trouble just for brakes? The Terrain aint a F--- sports car

·
Super Moderator
931 Posts
Buddy...you are way out of line..
You may not care...but your crude and rude language is offensive to some of us. I think you owe an apology. If it was up to me..you'd be outa here before you knew what happened. Absolutely uncalled for and immature at best.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't know if the hostility is towards me or not, but I just want some nasty biting brakes on my Terrain. I know it's not a sports car, I've owned 2 of them (69 Judge GTO and a Subaru WRX STi)

I will look into the cobalt SS brakes though. I don't see a problem with swapping them out, and 4 pistons is plenty for the Terrain.

In all serious, I want these not for looks, or the cool factor ($4000 brakes is pretty cool though) but from my previous vehicles that stopped on a dime, I'm used to it. I got extra money to spend on them and was just wondering if anyone looked into it.

Thanks =)

·
Registered
17 Posts
IceMan said:
Buddy...you are way out of line..
You may not care...but your crude and rude language is offensive to some of us. I think you owe an apology. If it was up to me..you'd be outa here before you knew what happened. Absolutely uncalled for and immature at best.
I dont owe an apology to anyone. Im not the one making a fool of members opinions. Just because Im new or because you dont like what I post ,dont put me down on what I suggest. Have me kicked out "I dont give a F---"this is AMERICA B---. You guy thats been on this forum with more then my 12 post think you have the say in everything. Like I said "MY ANSWER WAS MY OPINION TO HIS QUESTION" Its knowitalls like you that make this forum hard for "NOOBS" like me to give our 0.02 cents.

USFwrestler said:
I don't know if the hostility is towards me or not, but I just want some nasty biting brakes on my Terrain. I know it's not a sports car, I've owned 2 of them (69 Judge GTO and a Subaru WRX STi)

I will look into the cobalt SS brakes though. I don't see a problem with swapping them out, and 4 pistons is plenty for the Terrain.

In all serious, I want these not for looks, or the cool factor ($4000 brakes is pretty cool though) but from my previous vehicles that stopped on a dime, I'm used to it. I got extra money to spend on them and was just wondering if anyone looked into it.

Thanks =)
My post wasn't meant for you bro. I have nothing against you. My beef is to the people that have nothing better to do then run their mouth about how much they know about a topic but know nothing at all about personal opinions and suggestion. Again just my 0.02 cent :thumb:

808SLE - You can give your opinion without having to resort to bad language. We're trying to keep this forum PG since all age groups are welcome here. --admin

·
Registered
315 Posts
808SLE said:
His question was who makes a big brake kit? My "opinion" was an "option" for something that no one makes. People use slotted,cross drilled or slotted/drilled rotors for better cooling and exiting of gasses compared to a stock rotor, maybe...or maybe just for looks...All I was trying to do was give the guy an "option". Dont dog me and ask if I know why someone would use them for and suggest for a custom set-up from another GM model but has to make a custom bracket to make them fit. But hey that answer was "your opinion" My question for you is why go through so much trouble just for brakes? INSERT CHILDISH TEMPER TANTRUM HERE
This is why I asked you, you have myths that you think are facts......Cross Drilled rotors actually cause the brake system to run HOTTER during braking, not cooler :banghead:

Why is this?

I will gladly have a discussion about this if you wish.......just learn how to discuss your view point instead of having the typical temper-tantrum the net is full of....

·
Registered
315 Posts
USFwrestler said:

Thanks =)
I would save that 4k :) and just purchase a higher coefficient of friction front pads.

EBC has u.05 YellowStuff Pads available (typical OEM factory are .025-.035 range) If you get too high in friction your going to remove your ROTOR material. Expect more noise, and dust. Friction is what gives the brake system the "bite" you are used to.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Thanks Admin :thumb:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts