GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have driven my 2011 Equinox 2LT with the 2.4 L-4 for 4700 miles and I have come to enjoy the performance better with the "ECO" mode in the off position. I get better acceleration with less noise, faster downshifts for passing, and about the same fuel economy. I just averaged 26 mpg on a 15 mile combined city/hwy trip. I will test it on a 50 mile trip later this week.

2011 EQUINOX 2LT in black w/ chrome package, jet black leather interior, eight speaker pioneer sound.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I honestly don't notice a heck of a lot of difference between Eco on/off...sometimes I accidentally turn it on getting something out of the cubby and don't realize it until much later when I happen to see the "eco" light in the speedo. (I use the digital speed readout exclusively) I usually leave it off though because I can notice a difference in the smoothness of the idle while waiting for a stoplight and such..

·
Registered
176 Posts
A 15 mile or 50 mile trip will not yield a very accurate picture of fuel economy. Short term fuel economy means little as an indication of long term mileage.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I think the 'ECO' mode may only be helpful on long trips as mentioned.
I have 8000 miles on my 2011 Terrain, and have played around with the 'ECO' on and off and dont notice a difference with MPG. I actually notice better MPG with it off. not by much but by 1-2 MPG.

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
wrusprod said:
I think the 'ECO' mode may only be helpful on long trips as mentioned.
I have 8000 miles on my 2011 Terrain, and have played around with the 'ECO' on and off and dont notice a difference with MPG. I actually notice better MPG with it off. not by much but by 1-2 MPG.
I would guess the opposite. On a long trip, most of the time is spent in 6th gear, with ECO oON or OFF, so there should be little difference in overall fuel economy. However, in city-type driving, ECO will upshift sooner resulting in hopefully better economy, and there will be a ton of upshifting, so it would seem that more benefit would be seen. Also, there will be more frustration with a less powerful engine from the early upshifts ! Nothing ever comes for free. (A good motto for a "house of ill-repute" !)

·
Registered
300 Posts
I haven't taken a long enough trip to really test the ECO on/off, but I would think lower RPM would mean better mileage. I did a 50 mile run on a hilly two lane road with the cruise set at 60 MPH. I was switching in and out of the ECO mode as I approached different hills, trying to do it on hills that seemed to be the same grade. When in ECO mode when it downshifted it would go from about 1750 RPM to about 2250 RPM. When out of the ECO mode it would go from 1750 to almost 3000 RPM. I know this wasn't very scientific but it did make quite a difference in RPM.

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
Excellent point, Don. I was only thinking of an Interstate that had no hills - if one exists, outside of Florida !

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
RobbieD said:
My salesman told me the ECO mode is for city stop and go traffic.
Mine told me I would easily get 32 miles per gallon. So much for car salesmen !

·
Registered
69 Posts
RIT333 said:
Excellent point, Don. I was only thinking of an Interstate that had no hills - if one exists, outside of Florida !
I-80 through Illinois

I-55 through Illinois

Nebraska ?

These have what we call hills, but I doubt that anybody else would.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I am not seeing much difference in econ mode over normal as far as mpg goes, but it sure does shift and drive a lot smoother with the econ off. None of that hesitation or jerking between 26 and 30 mph.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I usually just leave the eco on, wether it makes a difference or not. I have learned though, the eco mode really hurts when you are pushing the vehicle. I have a Yakima roof box, and was driving interstate hwys, 75mph. with the cruise set. No problem while driving, though it would downshift a lot to keep the speed, but when we got to stop and go traffic in the city, the car stalled once, and I had to do a brake and gas to keep the RPMs up at other lights. Turned the eco off and everything was fine after that. I guess running it hard for hours at a time, and then haveing the lower RPMs at the lights was not enough fuel to keep the engine running.

·
Registered
300 Posts
newequinoxwep said:
I-80 through Illinois

I-55 through Illinois

Nebraska ?

These have what we call hills, but I doubt that anybody else would.
Compared to I-55 through Missouri, I-55 through Illinois is pretty flat.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts