GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At about 2400 mi. I did an oil change and switched to Pennzoil synthetic. At the time my DIC average fuel mileage was 19.5 or so. I reset it after doing the oil change and after about 300 mi. of driving it is 20.5. My driving has not changed and the weather is the same too. Could the oil give me slightly better mileage?

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Yes, absolutely,
Will also improve by running 100% synthetic lubricants in the rest of your drivetrain from front to back - transmission, differentials etc.
Some even choose fully synthetic grease for axle bearings to lower the coefficient of friction.
The less resistance you have in your engine and throughout your powertrain down to the axle hubs, the less energy it takes to roll.[/color]

·
Registered
482 Posts
hfdad said:
At about 2400 mi. I did an oil change and switched to Pennzoil synthetic. At the time my DIC average fuel mileage was 19.5 or so. I reset it after doing the oil change and after about 300 mi. of driving it is 20.5. My driving has not changed and the weather is the same too. Could the oil give me slightly better mileage?
How many miles on DIC before you reset it?

·
Registered
482 Posts
:) I read that, what I was attempting to ask is if that was the FIRST reset, or if not how many miles on the last reset before switch.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Terra-Nox said:
:) I read that, what I was attempting to ask is if that was the FIRST reset, or if not how many miles on the last reset before switch.
:D Ahh gotcha! We'll have to wait for the answer I guess[/color]

·
Registered
297 Posts
OnxBear said:
Yes, absolutely,
Will also improve by running 100% synthetic lubricants in the rest of your drivetrain from front to back - transmission, differentials etc.
Some even choose fully synthetic grease for axle bearings to lower the coefficient of friction.
The less resistance you have in your engine and throughout your powertrain down to the axle hubs, the less energy it takes to roll.[/color]
OMG...I think that is the worst color to use for text on this board! :eek:

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
jstpsntym said:
OMG...I think that is the worst color to use for text on this board! :eek:
Sorry, my bad!! Lol Just like changing things up once in awhile.
But yes, that is a bad color isn't it?
K, no more green. ;)[/color]

·
Registered
297 Posts
OnxBear said:
Sorry, my bad!! Lol Just like changing things up once in awhile.
But yes, that is a bad color isn't it?
K, no more green. ;)[/color]
Agreed! ;D

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Terra-Nox said:
How many miles on DIC before you reset it?
I have only reset the DIC a few times over those 2400 mi. so the last reset probably was around 2000. That is my best guess. I have the 4 cyl. engine too.

·
Registered
64 Posts
If the use of synthetic lubricants can increase MPG with those results why wouldn't GM use them?

They are choosing tires with lower roll resistance and making any small change to increase mileage.

The Federal Government is hammering them for increased MPG with CAFE requirements.

Cost couldn't be that much different with the volume they would be buying.

·
Registered
32 Posts
1st, I use Mobil1 5-30 synthetic in all my cars and have for many years. 2nd, While synthetic might increase mpg's the gain would be very hard if not impossible to measure... 3rd, most of the dexos approved oils are at least a synthetic blend...

·
Registered
10,396 Posts
Sgt1411 said:
If the use of synthetic lubricants can increase MPG with those results why wouldn't GM use them?

They are choosing tires with lower roll resistance and making any small change to increase mileage.

The Federal Government is hammering them for increased MPG with CAFE requirements.

Cost couldn't be that much different with the volume they would be buying.
Excellent points. If they could increase MPG by even 1 MPG for maybe $5 per car, they would be all over that. Possibly, the benefits of synthetic show up more when the oil is older/used up. Or, maybe they do the EPA test with Synthetic, and then don't install it in the cars - to save $5 per car. That would make the most sense !

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just had oil changed.....All 2011 Terrains factory oil (GM) on bottle, are 50% synthetic oil....thay's straight from the horses mouth....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts