GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2020 GMC Terrain SLT 1.5 liter
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2020Terrain is ebony twilight metallic, Want to keep the finish looking good, but I can't even wash my own car anymore, due to back issues. What do you guy think of the car washes that have the spray on wax?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Unlikely to do much for you. Save your money and pay to get it properly detailed/waxed once a year. Then just hit the spray car washes and skip the spray wax.

For what it's worth, our '15 Terrain is some shade of dark blue (Dark Sapphire Blue Mettalic??), and it has held up pretty well over the years even going through the more traditional car washes. It isn't quite the same as having a true black vehicle...but I would say pretty close.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I stay away from automatic car washes that beat on the paint. The stuff at the car wash is a lot of times rainbow wax and doesn't really protect or shine very well it's soft wax. Wax gets sprayed onto dirt on onto the rotors leaves a film on paint, discoloration on any plastic. I feel like it's similar to spray on fruit wax not a hard synthetic. Your also looking at a few days to cure the wax. If you are using a auto wash get the wax if your car needs protection why not? I wouldn't pay much extra no noticeable difference. Just a good hard base coat is what matters to me protect from swirls.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I wax 4 or 5 times a year but a buddy of mine (former Ford engineer) says I'm wasting my time just waxing the clear coat. His Ford vehicle is 5 years old, never been waxed and looks as good as the day he bought it. He gets a new Ford about every 5 years at a deep discount so I get it but I pay sucker pricing for my vehicles and keep them a minimum of 10 years. I don't think I'm hurting the finish by waxing it, I don't use anything abrasive. If you look at some of the car detailing websites these guys go crazy with clay bars, polish, then ceramic coating or now the graphene nano particle coatings. I might do that if I had a Ferrari but not investing the time or money on the terrain. I keep it clean and under carriage wash often in winter and wax pretty often as I've done with all vehicles since I was 16. They still rust in MI

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wax 4 or 5 times a year but a buddy of mine (former Ford engineer) says I'm wasting my time just waxing the clear coat. His Ford vehicle is 5 years old, never been waxed and looks as good as the day he bought it. He gets a new Ford about every 5 years at a deep discount so I get it but I pay sucker pricing for my vehicles and keep them a minimum of 10 years. I don't think I'm hurting the finish by waxing it, I don't use anything abrasive. If you look at some of the car detailing websites these guys go crazy with clay bars, polish, then ceramic coating or now the graphene nano particle coatings. I might do that if I had a Ferrari but not investing the time or money on the terrain. I keep it clean and under carriage wash often in winter and wax pretty often as I've done with all vehicles since I was 16. They still rust in MI
Yeah, kinda what I was wondering about the clear coat. I keep my cars for at least ten years or more too.Wanted to see what others were doing..

·
Registered
182 Posts
Getting my 2020 Terrain Denali detailed this month....even though the paint does not match I want to keep it protected as it sits outside 24/7.I plan on getting rid of it in 2 years or 26K whichever comes first and getting either another Terrain,Acadia,CRV or Passport in any color that has the capability to match on all panels.
I did buy the monthly at a local car wash (top level) and go through probably 7 to 10 times a month....keeps it looking good so far and water beads up.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My 2020Terrain is ebony twilight metallic, Want to keep the finish looking good, but I can't even wash my own car anymore, due to back issues. What do you guy think of the car washes that have the spray on wax?
I have a 2020 SLE 1.5 same color as yours, car wash with triple wax 3 times a week, they charge 45 a month l have 20,000 miles 1 year old I did the same with my Envoy at 186.000 miles {silver) looked brand new on out side when I let it go...

·
Registered
307 Posts
The only automatic car wash mine sees is the touchless kind and even then, it's sparingly used. I really only use it for the underbody wash in winter only. If it's warm enough, I have an attachment for my power washer that has nozzles facing up on caster wheels that allows me to do the underbody myself

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Getting my 2020 Terrain Denali detailed this month....even though the paint does not match I want to keep it protected as it sits outside 24/7.I plan on getting rid of it in 2 years or 26K whichever comes first and getting either another Terrain,Acadia,CRV or Passport in any color that has the capability to match on all panels.
I did buy the monthly at a local car wash (top level) and go through probably 7 to 10 times a month....keeps it looking good so far and water beads up.
We have a few places around here in Macomb, Mi. that offer the monthly as many as you want car washes. I'll have to google them and see their ratings. What bothers me is the spray on wax getting on the windshield, the windshield wipers & in to the rotors. These might not be a big deal at all. This is my first new car in years, just want to take good care of it.

Thanks Gary

·
Registered
182 Posts
Never had a problem with windshield or brakes because of that.....my car wash is pretty good I think...before you go in they power wash off the Terrain rather the use the mop type brushes which I like because we are on the beach and a lot of times there is sand on it....then when you come out there are usually 3 guys and 2 wipe down entire suv and one wipes tires off and sprays tire dressing on each one...unlimited times a month for $26.00 ....not to bad !

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a 2020 SLE 1.5 same color as yours, car wash with triple wax 3 times a week, they charge 45 a month l have 20,000 miles 1 year old I did the same with my Envoy at 186.000 miles {silver) looked brand new on out side when I let it go...
Where are they at?

·
Registered
741 Posts
Car wash wax is better than nothing.
Today's spray on waxes make it a lot easier and faster. My new go to is Turtle Wax Ceramic spray, deep shine and beads like crazy, way better than their old ICE brand. Spray on, wipe off, it doesn't get any better or easier.

Reactions: gary777

·
Registered
88 Posts
Living in an apartment complex I can't hand wash my vehicles as often as I like so I have a monthly membership at a local car wash. Did a test with a previous vehicle which was the ebony twilight and didn't notice any swirling caused by the car wash so I deemed them good. Their brushes are a silicone type pad so safer on paint surfaces plus having the Denali in summit white it is naturally a harder paint then the darker colors. Vehicle goes through the car wash about twice a week, try to do three times in winter.

I do try to hand wash once a month during late spring to early fall. As far as paint prep goes I will clay bar, isopropyl alcohol wash (CarPro Eraser) and then sealant/wax once a year. My vehicle is kept in a garage so with the car washes and yearly wax the paint always feels slick.

·
Registered
10,211 Posts
Who told you that white paint is harder than darker colors ? Sounds to me like the dealer was anxious to get rid of white cars !

·
Registered
255 Posts
Seems everyone is having this, some colors are worse than others. i've seen Mercedes, lexus, honda, Ford, Kia and Hyundai with bumpers in certain angles don't match. Especially metallic paint. Some are worse than others. I'm suspecting most people either don't care or can't see it. Real car people do care and unfortunately unless the bumpers are painted at the same time as the rest of the vehicle its not going to be a perfect match.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts