GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered a SLT 2 with a I4. Would like to have chrome wheels to match all the other chrome on the vehicle. Ask dealer about helping me out getting a set of 19's but they bascially said I'd just have to order the $3600 option. Anyone know of any dealers in the country that are helping us out with this? Also anyone selling there 19's that upgraded to other wheels? Here is one more option that I found on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-ORIGINAL-GMC-TERRAIN-18-PVD-Chrome-Wheels-EXCHANGE-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem230bd23219QQitemZ150522180121QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Thoughts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
441 Posts
buy rims, and put them on after you get the terrain.....
 
G

·
I'd love to sell my factory 19" Chrome wheels that I had upgraded to but you'd have to be close (Ontario, Canada) as it's impractical to ship. I love them but want to go bigger in the spring...maybe 20" or so.

I only have 1800km on them as the nox is only 7 wks old and my dedicated winter set was put on about 3 wks ago already.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,153 Posts
The only reason Gm won't allow 19" wheel with the 4cyl is because it would mess with their already boderline MPG claims. I would be patient and check Ebay/Craiglist...and maybe even put a "WTB" feeler out there. There is always that guy out there somewhere with more money than sense....the guy that coughs up the extra dough for 19" wheels and is now tired of them and looking for something else. ;)
 
G

·
I upgraded to the 19" which was a $900 CDN option. And then I purchased for $800 off ebay a set of the factory 17" Equinox wheels with TPMS sensors for my dedicated set of winters.

What I should have done is just got taken the standard 17's pulled the rubber off and put winter rubber on instead and save the $900 towards a fancy 20" set come spring time. I could have sold the all season 17" Michelin Latitude tours for some decent cash too.

The 19's are nice looking but I didn't realize until after the purchase that they were just chrome CLAD, not Chrome. I'll probly just run them until the 19" rubber is done and think of a wheel change then.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,153 Posts
mmarges said:
I upgraded to the 19" which was a $900 CDN option. And then I purchased for $800 off a set of the factory 17" Equinox wheels with TPMS sensors for my dedicated set of winters.

What I should have done is just got taken the standard 17's pulled the rubber off and put winter rubber on instead and save the $900 towards a fancy 20" set come spring time. I could have sold the all season 17" Michelin Latitude tours for some decent cash too.

The 19's are nice looking but I didn't realize until after the purchase that they were just chrome CLAD, not Chrome. I'll probly just run them until the 19" rubber is done and think of a wheel change then.
To be fair, almost all "chrome wheels" you see on the road are chrome clad (or polished aluminum). If you want real chrome wheels it will cost you a pretty penny..
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
931 Posts
NoobNox said:
To be fair, almost all "chrome wheels" you see on the road are chrome clad (or polished aluminum). If you want real chrome wheels it will cost you a pretty penny..
Well to be even more fair..all 'real' chrome is somewhat a clad finish..either plated over steel...or aluminum alloy. However wheels clad with chromed plastic seem kind of a new phenomenon that once only showed up on cheaper models. $900 extra for plastic ? I'd be very upset.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
830 Posts
its 900$ for bigger wheels... not for plastic...

IceMan said:
Well to be even more fair..all 'real' chrome is somewhat a clad finish..either plated over steel...or aluminum alloy. However wheels clad with chromed plastic seem kind of a new phenomenon that once only showed up on cheaper models. $900 extra for plastic ? I'd be very upset.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
dogger37 said:
Ordered a SLT 2 with a I4. Would like to have chrome wheels to match all the other chrome on the vehicle. Ask dealer about helping me out getting a set of 19's but they bascially said I'd just have to order the $3600 option. Anyone know of any dealers in the country that are helping us out with this? Also anyone selling there 19's that upgraded to other wheels? Here is one more option that I found on .

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-ORIGINAL-GMC-TERRAIN-18-PVD-Chrome-Wheels-EXCHANGE-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem230bd23219QQitemZ150522180121QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Thoughts?
This is where I want to buy my 19" at TireTrack[/color], It's not GMC but a good one.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
931 Posts
SuperMat64 said:
its 900$ for bigger wheels... not for plastic...
Sorry..I thought that the 19" ChromeClad wheel was an aluminum wheel with a chromed plastic cover bonded to it. I wouldn't like that idea since plastic is a quite softer material that can discolor under certain harsh conditions.
Most chromed metal aluminum wheels today are plated and also clearcoated to insure no pitting in the Chromium plating.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
830 Posts
Most of the wheels now are chrome clad.

What did you expect for a 800$ option for 19" WHEELS ? The Terrain have a real chrome wheels option but it's 3600$US ! Real chrome wheels are really expensive so this is a way to get nice lookin wheels at an affordable price. Who here purchased the 19" Chrome Clad wheels at 800$ and seriously had considered the 3600$ option ??? Not me.

Even my friend 22" on his Ford F150 are chrome clad.

The look is the same and it's easier to maintain/clean.

They are supposed to be as durable but with less care.

http://www.wheelsandcaps.com/Chrome_Clad_Wheels.html




IceMan said:
Sorry..I thought that the 19" ChromeClad wheel was an aluminum wheel with a chromed plastic cover bonded to it. I wouldn't like that idea since plastic is a quite softer material that can discolor under certain harsh conditions.
Most chromed metal aluminum wheels today are plated and also clearcoated to insure no pitting in the Chromium plating.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
931 Posts
SuperMat64 said:
Most of the wheels now are chrome clad.

What did you expect for a 800$ option for 19" WHEELS ? The Terrain have a real chrome wheels option but it's 3600$US ! Real chrome wheels are really expensive so this is a way to get nice lookin wheels at an affordable price. Who here purchased the 19" Chrome Clad wheels at 800$ and seriously had considered the 3600$ option ??? Not me.

Even my friend 22" on his Ford F150 are chrome clad.

The look is the same and it's easier to maintain/clean.

They are supposed to be as durable but with less care.

http://www.wheelsandcaps.com/Chrome_Clad_Wheels.html
Evidentally the 'Chrome clad' are really chromed plastic bonded to an alloy wheel. No need to get upset. they are what they are.

I didn't expect anything. I have no use or desire for 19" wheels. However..I was surprised that they even offered a chromed plastic option (do they tell you they aren't metal?). No I wouldn't pay $3600 for factory chrome plated alloy wheels either. Never entered my mind.

I don't see how they would be easier to keep clean compared to regular chromed wheels that are now clearcoated..as on my Solstice. Just wash them off when needed and quickly spray on glass cleaner occasionlly & wipe off to make them dazzle. Never use abrasive Chrome cleaner. No need to. Mine still look sparkling new after 3 1/2 years.

'For me'..I wouldn't purchase an optional wheel if I 'knew' it was clad with chromed plastic. Chromed alloy that's clearcoated..sure. It's gotta be more durable in harsh elements than Chromed plastic. Chrome plating bonds much better to metal than anything made of plastic..in my experience,anyhow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
441 Posts
for 3600 you can get some bad ass rims...not some heavy factory wheels....
 
G

·
Just going on pure "look". I think the style of the 17" Equinox wheels should be the 19" size and chromed.

To me, bigger wheels look sharper, unlike retarded little donuts that's why I went with 19" upgrade....I just wish the 19" upgrade was the style of the 17's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,828 Posts
Just something to think about, assuming you ordered with factory 235/55R18's.
Once you upgrade to 19in wheels and run the factory 235/55R19 tires, your speedo will be out 3.5% (slower)
For example, if your actual speed is 100km/hr (62mi/hr) your speedo will only show approx. 96km/hr.
This is great for inadvertently getting speeding tickets :eek:

So if you purchase a lower profile tire for the 19's.... a 255/45R19 will get your overall diameter within factory size.


dogger37 said:
Ordered a SLT 2 with a I4. Would like to have chrome wheels to match all the other chrome on the vehicle. Ask dealer about helping me out getting a set of 19's but they bascially said I'd just have to order the $3600 option. Anyone know of any dealers in the country that are helping us out with this? Also anyone selling there 19's that upgraded to other wheels? Here is one more option that I found on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-ORIGINAL-GMC-TERRAIN-18-PVD-Chrome-Wheels-EXCHANGE-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem230bd23219QQitemZ150522180121QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Thoughts?
 
G

·
Yes, I've been through all this on another post. My 19's were 235/55/19 and for winters I put 225/65/17...on a set of factory 17" wheels. To go to a 225/70/17 to be a closer over all diameter was a size not as popular as the 65 profile and more expensive...at least not as popular and more expensive in my region.

My speedo is out by about 3%. When my GPS says I'm really doing 100km/hr my speedo reads about 103. 125 is really 120 and and 140 is realy around 130km/hr.

Also when I actually travel 1000km, the computer will think I've travelled 1030km...I wonder how the gas milage is calculated or tied in to the odometer.....gas used over distance traveled...if my distance is out by 3%...will the system be tricked in to thinking I'm getting 3% better gas milage?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
378 Posts
Also your warranty will expire faster!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,828 Posts
Yep for sure, I have the stock 19's and use 235/55R18 for winter.
I am waiting to hear back from my dealers shop forman if they can go in and change the settings or recalibrate for the 19 to 18 change or vise versa. He mentioned they have another new GM computer out now that can do more with the vehicles, they just haven't spent a whole lot of time on it. But he's going to see. I'll post results when I hear back.
Would be nice if they can.

mmarges said:
Yes, I've been through all this on another post. My 19's were 235/55/19 and for winters I put 225/65/17...on a set of factory 17" wheels. To go to a 225/70/17 to be a closer over all diameter was a size not as popular as the 65 profile and more expensive...at least not as popular and more expensive in my region.

My speedo is out by about 3%. When my GPS says I'm really doing 100km/hr my speedo reads about 103. 125 is really 120 and and 140 is realy around 130km/hr.

Also when I actually travel 1000km, the computer will think I've travelled 1030km...I wonder how the gas milage is calculated or tied in to the odometer.....gas used over distance traveled...if my distance is out by 3%...will the system be tricked in to thinking I'm getting 3% better gas milage?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,548 Posts
IceBear said:
He mentioned they have another new GM computer out now that can do more with the vehicles, they just haven't spent a whole lot of time on it. But he's going to see. I'll post results when I hear back.
Would be nice if they can.
Can you see if they have the ability to "turn off" the DRLs, or better yet, have the amber turn signals become the DRL with a bit higher intensity - like the Corvettes. That would solve the HID issue, and allow us the only use HIDs when needed, and NOT during the daytime. THX
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top