GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are other people using? I've been using trico neoform beam blades[/color] for years and they're awesome. (been getting them at wipers123 online and they update me periodically on how old they are which is a nice extra). Very smooth and quiet and clear the water well. Anyway before I go out and buy more neoforms, was wondering if there was anything brand new out there thats notable. I gotta buy new wipers for all 4 vehicles before winter!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CFRTim said:
Bosch makes the best wipers, IMO. Next in line would be Valeo wipers
Thanks - I actually switched from the icons to the neoforms and like the neoforms better (they're less expensive too). Never tried Valeo.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I've always liked the Trico blades and tend to look for them first. I will get the Bosch if I find them on sale.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I've found the non-oem blade connection pieces to, generally, not fit anywhere nearly as nicely as the OEM. They tend to raise the wiper arm up about 1/4-1/2". For that reason I stick with the OEM GM wipers, although they are rather expensive. For the rear, a 13" anco blade is OEM. Other 13" blades may fit, but you will need to take the plastic adapter from the OEM/Anco one, since some other brand's adapters are too wide for the plastic cover attachment bit to fit.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
I just go with whatever it is Advance carries : I think it's Trico. Get 20-30% off and the price is only somewhat of a ripoff.

This is the first vehicle I've ever owned where I couldn't purchase *just the replacement blades*. Absolutely ridiculous that the entire bayonet has to be thrown out with the blade each time - just because some people can't thread a blade through a few "claws" properly (or manufacturers just want bigger profit margins).

What's next? Throw out your entire headlight/taillight enclosure to replace the bulb? Throw out your rims to replace the tires??

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Colt Hero said:
I just go with whatever it is Advance carries : I think it's Trico. Get 20-30% off and the price is only somewhat of a ripoff.

This is the first vehicle I've ever owned where I couldn't purchase *just the replacement blades*. Absolutely ridiculous that the entire bayonet has to be thrown out with the blade each time - just because some people can't thread a blade through a few "claws" properly (or manufacturers just want bigger profit margins).

What's next? Throw out your entire headlight/taillight enclosure to replace the bulb? Throw out your rims to replace the tires??
That bothers me as well, but where were you buying just the rubber blade, and not the "bayonet"? I don't recall ever seeing just the rubber for sale. Might look into this for my wife's subaru since it uses standard stuff. You should be able to still do this for the rear blade, eh?

·
Registered
270 Posts
You can buy just the rubber blade, they are usually cut to fit. You just cut it to the right size and slide it into the wiper.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
Ralphalph said:
That bothers me as well, but where were you buying just the rubber blade, and not the "bayonet"? I don't recall ever seeing just the rubber for sale. Might look into this for my wife's subaru since it uses standard stuff. You should be able to still do this for the rear blade, eh?
Yeah, I think the rear blade will still take just the rubber insert because it's the correct width. That's the thing that stopped me when I bought blades for my Nox last year: rubber-only blades weren't the correct *width* (Length is no problem - you just snap it off at the correct length). And when I looked elsewhere, all I saw were sales of the entire bayonet. Advance might be the last store around still carrying just blade inserts - but they barely have any left. 95% of their selection is the entire bayonet (at the ridiculous prices, of course).

I've been buying the "snap-offs" for my other cars for years. Before the "snap-offs" it was blades sold to fit with the spring-lock mechanism on the very end, but someone decided it was a better idea to standardize the overall *length* (easier for manufacturing), then provide graduated, pre-scored lines where the blade could be "snapped-off" to fit various wiper arm lengths. Snap-Offs are really easy to install: just push the blade through the "claws" until all the (temporary) black plastic "holders" fall off, then snap off the end on one of the pre-scored lines closest in length to your wiper arm. Just have to watch those "claws" closely to make sure you thread the blade through correctly. It's easy to get the "claw" suddenly running on the wrong side-track of the blade.

When I went to buy a set of blades for my Nox last year, I discovered I couldn't buy the snap-offs because they were the wrong width blade. I think I did a cursory search on the web, but then just bit the bullet and paid the ransom for the whole bayonet. But it *really* irks me how profiteers ream us all the time with these "solutions" that are borne totally out of profit, completely ignoring the waste that's created (and money that's wasted). They get everybody on the bandwagon and then laugh all the way to the bank. So instead of paying $3/blade, you're paying $15-$20. Wonderful.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
Toddman35 said:
Bosch Icon. :cheers:
There ya go ... $36 for two wiper blades. Ridiculous!

But I've seen worse...

Probably make a million of these things for $1.00 each, then sell em wholesale for $3.00 each, then they reach the retail stores marked up to $18 each!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts