GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at buying an '08 V6 that does not have the factory hitch installed. Is my best bet to have the dear install or go to third party like uhaul? Does the tranny / computer need to be reporgrammed? What else is comes with the factory tow package that I might be missing if buy an Equinox that does not have the tow package? I am looking at V6 and will be towing a utility trailer with some bikes and tents etc for camping. I don't think it goes much over 1500 lbs. But I want this done right. Sould I hold out for an Equinox that already has the tow package? I am looking 2 or 3 years used.

·
Registered
10,529 Posts
In my opinion, you would probably be better off NOT getting one that already has a hitch on it - who knows what was towed behind it ? They are very easy to install yourself.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so I have seen something about 3500 is only if trailer has brakes otherwise only 1000 lbs even with V6. If this is true then this might not be my vehicle. Can anyone clear this up fo rme?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Tico said:
so I have seen something about 3500 is only if trailer has brakes otherwise only 1000 lbs even with V6. If this is true then this might not be my vehicle. Can anyone clear this up fo rme?
Thats true w/ any tow setup.....Even a truck setup to tow 5500lbs, it will state 1000lbs w/o trailer brakes. Its more to due to w/ state laws, and several of them have 1k listed. Follow your local laws is my best answer

http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm

From the owners manual of Traverse

Trailer Brakes
A loaded trailer that weighs more
than 450 kg (1,000 lbs) needs to
have its own brake system that is
adequate for the weight of the
trailer. Be sure to read and follow
the instructions for the trailer brakes
so they are installed, adjusted and
maintained properly.
Because the vehicle has antilock