GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to my dealer for a LOF change and I requested Full Synthetic (FS) Dexos be used. I assumed FS would be best for wear & tear as well as better mpg. The Service Manager strongly suggested to go with the Blend Dexos, claiming that GM recommends the Blend, that Blend is just as good as the FS. Also claimed that while FS would NOT void the warranty, it would just be a waste of money. I have to assume that if the dealers objective was to just increase revenue they would have gladly just used FS and charged me more. I've seen many past opinions on this subject but has anyone seen anything more lately from GM, other than the manual recommending Dexos is recommended? :confused:

·
Registered
216 Posts
RetiredBuyer said:
I went to my dealer for a LOF change and I requested Full Synthetic (FS) Dexos be used. I assumed FS would be best for wear & tear as well as better mpg. The Service Manager strongly suggested to go with the Blend Dexos, claiming that GM recommends the Blend, that Blend is just as good as the FS. Also claimed that while FS would NOT void the warranty, it would just be a waste of money. I have to assume that if the dealers objective was to just increase revenue they would have gladly just used FS and charged me more. I've seen many past opinions on this subject but has anyone seen anything more lately from GM, other than the manual recommending Dexos is recommended? :confused:
Any dexos 1 oil is OK. My guess is they make more on the GM dexos blend because they purchase it in bulk (55 gal drums). The full synthetic they stock is probably Mobil 1. Many (most) full synthetic oils are dexos 1 approved. I'm also retired but chose to change my oil and filter myself so I don't have to listen to their BS. I also know it's done right with no mess or oily finger prints for me to clean up.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Depending on how you drive, which engine you have, and how often you change oil, a 'blend' might be the best choice for you.

The service manager is being honest, a rarity for sure.

·
Registered
300 Posts
My service manager went one step farther. He said the engine is identical to the 2010 engine and GM didn't recommend anything but regular oil in that engine. He went on to say that most of the oil changes they do on the 2011 models are regular oil by owners request. He went on to say it wouldn't void the warranty.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts