GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody never had to care for leather seats until now....So I was wondering what everyone's opinions are on the different products out there....I was looking at Lexol and Pinnacle all ready...Thanks in advance

·
Registered
54 Posts
I use the ArmorAll Leather premoistened wipes.
Have for a few years now on my other cars. No complaints.

Easy to use and smell nice.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Same here... ArmorAll leather wipes

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
The problem with the wipes, is they dont leave a lot of conditioner on the seats. If you dont do that, then they will crack later on. At least get a bottle of conditioner and use it every 2-3 months and you will really see an improvement in the wear of your vinyl/leather.

·
Registered
35 Posts
meguiars cleaner and conditioner... bottle and wipes

·
Registered
297 Posts
Bad Dave said:
meguiars cleaner and conditioner... bottle and wipes
I just used Meguiar's Gold Class Rich Leather Wipes for the first time today on our new brownstone leather seats. It took just 5 wipes to do all the leather on the interior of the 'Nox. The wipes blended in the splotches that were left on the leather by the detailers at the dealership where we bought our 'Nox. I did go over the leather with a microfiber towel after using the wipes. The wipes can be found at Walmart and Target, so you don't have to pay automotive store prices, which is always a bonus.

·
Registered
10,485 Posts
On the subject of leather, how much of the seat is really leather, and how much is vinyl. I think we'd be surprised how little is really leather - IMHO. I'd guess it is just the perforated part. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Crow, make sure you use conditioner as well. The wipes claim to be both but use a good conditioner as well especially on the leather inserts. The vinyl needs it even more though because it gets the most wear being on the side bolsters.

·
Registered
635 Posts
The leather comes treated from the supplier that makes the seats for GM, its not raw leather. It shouldn't need more than a damp wiping for years.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
RIT333 said:
On the subject of leather, how much of the seat is really leather, and how much is vinyl. I think we'd be surprised how little is really leather - IMHO. I'd guess it is just the perforated part. Any thoughts?
Just the inserts are leather. The other parts are vinyl because they take wear MUCH better than leather especially from blue jeans.
Roesterman said:
The leather comes treated from the supplier that makes the seats for GM, its not raw leather. It shouldn't need more than a damp wiping for years.
Really? Id think you would be surprised how much body soil gets into the seats in just 6 months much less a few years. Those that have the gray leather should be worried and I bet your arm rest already has two different shades of gray on it because of where your arm rests on it. I know my mother in laws was until I showed them.

·
Registered
297 Posts
bballr4567 said:
Crow, make sure you use conditioner as well. The wipes claim to be both but use a good conditioner as well especially on the leather inserts. The vinyl needs it even more though because it gets the most wear being on the side bolsters.
Thanks. Will do! I just couldn't stand looking at those splotches on the seats of the new ride already. ;D

I also did the dash and other similar parts using Meguiar's Natural Shine Protectant spray and am happy with the results I achieved. I'm tempted to try the Supreme Shine Protectant spray next time, but I think it might be too much shine. :-\

·
Registered
635 Posts
6 years of no leather treatments(and two young children) on my 2004 Montana. See picture...
I can post pictures of my 1999 sold to my brother as well with no leather treatments.
I think all those treatments open the leather to the elements and then you must keep re-applying to keep up appearance.

Its like getting new car and then sanding off the finish and putting a temporary finish on that must be re-applied

Attachments

·
Registered
830 Posts
Roesterman said:
6 years of no leather treatments(and two young children) on my 2004 Montana. See picture...
I can post pictures of my 1999 sold to my brother as well with no leather treatments.
I think all those treatments open the leather to the elements and then you must keep re-applying to keep up appearance.

Its like getting new car and then sanding off the finish and putting a temporary finish on that must be re-applied
I'm sure you're right... They sold us things to keep us purchasing them in the future...

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
If you say so. Just passing on my knowledge for others. Its up to you if you want to protect your leather. Would you not wash your vehicle for 2-3 years just because it has wax on it?

If you were to clean that leather, I think you would be VERY surprised at how dirty the rag would be.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i bought DP(detailers pride) cleaner and protectant pretty good reviews and looks like it works pretty well since my terrain isnt that old i didnt use the cleaner yet.....just wiped it down with warm water and then used the conditoner

·
Registered
635 Posts
bballr4567 said:
If you say so. Just passing on my knowledge for others. Its up to you if you want to protect your leather. Would you not wash your vehicle for 2-3 years just because it has wax on it?

If you were to clean that leather, I think you would be VERY surprised at how dirty the rag would be.
I never said don't clean the leather. Just don't get reeled in by treatments. Vacuuming dirt from crevises and seams is important for long life also.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Leatherique. I've been using it for years.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts