GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We picked our Equinox up from the dealer about two weeks ago and so far we had no chance to drive it extensively on highways. I try to include some highway driving but our commute only allows for maybe 3 miles at a time. Most of the driving is inner city stop and go. Since we got the car we put about 400 additional miles on it (630 miles total). I was wondering what you all think about what is the correct break-in procedure to get the optimum in terms of fuel efficiency and durability out of the car.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I'd do what the manual suggests. After all they know built it. I always adhear to what the manual says, I have no reason to doubt it.
Congratulations on your new car.
Don't forget to post pics and a discription.....engine size, color, trim level, nav. etc. ;D

·
Registered
482 Posts
My personal feeling is that the manufacturer know a lot more they I do, so generally try to follow what they suggest. Engines and trannies are not at all the same as they were 40 years ago so what was done then may not apply today. I'm sure others have different feelings.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
After the first 500 miles, you should be good to go.

Up until 2k miles, I drove it a little gingerly but after that until about 5k, we drove it a little harder than normal.

Only reason we really did that was because on our last new car we followed the manual to a T and the car never gave the rated MPG and always felt down on power.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GARYD said:
I'd do what the manual suggests. After all they know built it. I always adhear to what the manual says, I have no reason to doubt it.
Congratulations on your new car.
Don't forget to post pics and a discription.....engine size, color, trim level, nav. etc. ;D
Thanks GARYD, we are following the break-in suggestions in manual. I was just wondering if you guys have any tips to do a better job, but I'm glad to hear that the official procedure is all we need.

I already posted pictures. You can find them here http://www.equinoxforum.net/index.php?topic=2005.0
and the car specs are in my signature.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Here's how ours was broken in more due to necessity than desire.

First 300 kms were the wife driving 50/50 highway/city. She's a light foot driver so I'm sure it didn't have any hard acceleration and top speed was 80 kmh.

Then we had to drive to St. Paul, Mn and back so that was 1800 kms. hwy and 300 kms city. I kept it below 110 kmh even though the speed limit on I 29 is 120 kmh (75 mph) and normally I would drive 80 mph in a posted 75 mph. But I tried to vary the speed at times down to 90 kmh and up to 130 kmh for short 10-20 min periods. There was also some heavy acceleration a few times to pass or merge.

The Nox is now at 19,000 kms. and it runs like a top so I feel it was broken in properly. I feel that after 1000 kms (650 mi) you should be good to go for sure.

Also the first oil change was done after that at 3500 km and with Dino oil. Then the next oil change was synthetic and any future ones will be synthetic.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I must admit I feel foolish about this..I bought my last new car 14 years ago in April and immediately had terrific mileage. However, it did have 801 miles on it. I never new about "breaking in" procedures.

I bought mine with 65 miles on it before leaving town on a full tank from the dealer and a 4 hr/210 mile trip that had travelling speeds of 35/45/65/80... much in the 70's. Suffice to say I was over 68 and had long stretches on the cruise control.
Also, I don't drive in a way that wastes gas.

I'm just over 400miles right now and NOT happy with the mileage, but I'm learning to wait. I've been reading the manual in the last week and noticing break-in info on these boards. I've been following the book break-in info in the last week.

Does anyone know if I'll have any "long-term" adverse effects? I was hoping to be like my prior car as the average mileage of 26 to 28 with higher interstate driving mileage for trips.

·
Registered
10,523 Posts
Not to worry. There are many schools of thought on break-in procedures from "drive it like you stoll it" to "following the book". Everything will be just fine. Wait til Spring, when the weather is warmer, and you have some miles on the engine, and your mileage will be what you expect.

·
Registered
332 Posts
jecilop said:
I must admit I feel foolish about this..I bought my last new car 14 years ago in April and immediately had terrific mileage. However, it did have 801 miles on it. I never new about "breaking in" procedures.

I bought mine with 65 miles on it before leaving town on a full tank from the dealer and a 4 hr/210 mile trip that had travelling speeds of 35/45/65/80... much in the 70's. Suffice to say I was over 68 and had long stretches on the cruise control.
Also, I don't drive in a way that wastes gas.

I'm just over 400miles right now and NOT happy with the mileage, but I'm learning to wait. I've been reading the manual in the last week and noticing break-in info on these boards. I've been following the book break-in info in the last week.

Does anyone know if I'll have any "long-term" adverse effects? I was hoping to be like my prior car as the average mileage of 26 to 28 with higher interstate driving mileage for trips.
I don't understand why some people are saying they aren't getting good fuel mileage with 2010+ 2.4L Nox's. When ours had less than 1000 kms (625 mi) on it we got a consistent 8.6L/100 kms., 27 mpg US combined average. Now we get an 8.3L/100 kms., 28 mpg US combined average.

I have noticed though that if you drive it at 50 mph you can get a instantaneous of 6-6.1L/100 kms (38 mpg US). If your at 60 mph it's more like 7.2L/100 kms (32 mpg US). If your at 70 mph it's more around 7.9-8.1L /100 kms (29 mpg US).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts