GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone knows the best bulbs to use as an upgrade other than HID' s? I drive about 50,000 miles a year so I like to be able to see as much as possible. I had put HID's in my 07 Yukon and was able to disable the DRL's and still had issues. I think it was because of them being used so many hours a day, I went through quite a few bulbs. If a DRL fix becomes avail I may consider for the Terrain but for now would just like some good bulbs.

Thanks,
Donny

·
Registered
468 Posts
dogger37 said:
Just wondering if anyone knows the best bulbs to use as an upgrade other than HID' s? I drive about 50,000 miles a year so I like to be able to see as much as possible. I had put HID's in my 07 Yukon and was able to disable the DRL's and still had issues. I think it was because of them being used so many hours a day, I went through quite a few bulbs. If a DRL fix becomes avail I may consider for the Terrain but for now would just like some good bulbs.

Thanks,
Donny
There is a fix for the DRL's, mind you it is just a fix and not actually solving the problem, just tricking the system.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did see that XenonDepot has a "fix" for the DRL's. My concern is that they will still be burning all the time and with the amount of driving that I do would not last long.

·
Registered
468 Posts
dogger37 said:
I did see that XenonDepot has a "fix" for the DRL's. My concern is that they will still be burning all the time and with the amount of driving that I do would not last long.
It seems I drive a little less then you, had my Nox since August 2009 and I have around 52k on it. I bought HID's from another source around a year or so ago and have not had any issues with mine. XenonDepot seems like a legit place and I see nothing but praise for them on here.

·
Registered
441 Posts
hids #1

there is no replacement....

but if your stickin to halogens...philips xtreme power...brightest longest lasting halogen....

·
Registered
125 Posts
I used to really like the Sylvania Silverstar headlights (or theres a higher one by them). They are bright at first but seem to fade faster than normal bulbs.

I have to say, unless you increase the voltage the light will not get brighter. Changing the light can give you the effect, but it honestly isnt any brighter.

do you use your fog lamps? They seem to make a big difference on these vehicles.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Dave25 said:
I used to really like the Sylvania Silverstar headlights (or theres a higher one by them). They are bright at first but seem to fade faster than normal bulbs.

I have to say, unless you increase the voltage the light will not get brighter. Changing the light can give you the effect, but it honestly isnt any brighter.

do you use your fog lamps? They seem to make a big difference on these vehicles.
you cant change the voltage...the whole car runs at 12vdc.....

you change the wattage which in turn pulls more amps.....

just like putting in brighter bulbs in your house....you dont run a 220 outlet when you want a brighter light do you? you jkust change from 60w to a 100w bulb....

also silverstars are junk...they burn too hot to give the kelvin difference, so it burns out wayyy to fast.....

·
Registered
125 Posts
gar187er said:
you cant change the voltage...the whole car runs at 12vdc.....

you change the wattage which in turn pulls more amps.....

just like putting in brighter bulbs in your house....you dont run a 220 outlet when you want a brighter light do you? you jkust change from 60w to a 100w bulb....

also silverstars are junk...they burn too hot to give the kelvin difference, so it burns out wayyy to fast.....
my bad, i mis-spoke. Youd think an electrical engineer would know that. you are right, you can get a higher wattage bulb, but sometimes that can melt the wire insulation and start a fire.

·
Registered
27 Posts
So wich bulb is the best one that you guys recomend? NOT Hid...

·
Registered
365 Posts
I just ripped out my HID's cause I need to go back to stock. I should be getting a new engine or vehicle due to fuel in the oil and Michigan's lemon law. I put in H9 bulbs in the lows and fog lights. They are a huge upgrade over stock. Very easy to modify the bulb. ;D

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
fireman591 said:
I just ripped out my HID's cause I need to go back to stock. I should be getting a new engine or vehicle due to fuel in the oil and Michigan's lemon law. I put in H9 bulbs in the lows and fog lights. They are a huge upgrade over stock. Very easy to modify the bulb. ;D
How do you modify it? Also, are H9's the same wattage as the stock bulbs?

·
Registered
365 Posts
NoobNox said:
How do you modify it? Also, are H9's the same wattage as the stock bulbs?
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o108/dkny10001/H11%20and%20H9/H9toH11_4.jpg
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o108/dkny10001/H11%20and%20H9/H9toH11_3.jpg

1350 lumens from the H11 (50 watts), 2100 from the H9 (65 watts).
The h9 uses a smaller filament that burns brighter. The downside is the bulb life is only good for 500 hours vs 2000 hours, Not a big deal since they are so easy to change. They are even brighter than my Xentec HID kits ;D Great mod and only $14.00 per bulb ;D

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
fireman591 said:

The h9 uses a smaller filament that burns brighter. The downside is the bulb life is only good for 500 hours vs 2000 hours, Not a big deal since they are so easy to change. They are even brighter than my Xentec HID kits ;D Great mod and only $14.00 per bulb ;D
Brighter than HID? :eek: Sounds pretty easy, but I'm not sure it would be worth it in the long run. I read an article a while back about how cash strapped cities/states are encouraging their police officers to write tickets for things that would normally only bring a warning...such as equipment failure (headlights, tailights, license plate light etc..) But then again if they are really that much brighter than stock it would probably be pretty easy to tell when one burns out and beat them to the punch..

·
Registered
365 Posts
NoobNox said:
Brighter than HID? :eek: Sounds pretty easy, but I'm not sure it would be worth it in the long run. I read an article a while back about how cash strapped cities/states are encouraging their police officers to write tickets for things that would normally only bring a warning...such as equipment failure (headlights, tailights, license plate light etc..) But then again if they are really that much brighter than stock it would probably be pretty easy to tell when one burns out and beat them to the punch..
:D :D :D 500 hours is a long long time!!!! Heck if you are that worried just replace them every 2 years just to be on the safe side. :)
And yes they were brighter than my 35 watt xentec HID set up ;D

·
Registered
483 Posts
fireman591 said:

Just curious but if you are drawing 30% more watts with the H9 bulbs, will that cause any problems with wires overheating or fuse problems?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Black Granite LTZ said:
Just curious but if you are drawing 30% more watts with the H9 bulbs, will that cause any problems with wires overheating or fuse problems?
The wires and fuse can handle the extra load. 8)

·
Registered
149 Posts
fireman591 said:
(insert links to images a few posts above....)

Thanks a lot for sharing these images! Made it very easy to complete this project, along with some other tips on accessing the bulb area via the fender well. VERY happy with the results of my first 'mod' and this easy upgrade. Thanks again!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Check out the (18) reviews on Amazon.com, should help in your decision. Personally I have used the Sylvania Silver Star's (check out those reviews too, lots of info), and although it was an improvement, they are known to burn out faster than usual and overall I was left wanting something brighter.

Copy/paste this into Amazon to check out the reviews: PIAA 15211 H11 Style Xtreme White 55=110-Watt Bulb - Twin Pack

I think you'll be happy with those PIAA's, but I'm very happy with my modified H9 bulbs. ;D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts