GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may sound silly but under the hood is the battery positive post (remote) but where is the actual battery located if I needed to access it?
Thanks.

·
Registered
432 Posts
battery in mine is under the spare tire cover on the left side, tucked away in the back corner.

is this the main battery? i thought it was an auxiliary battery. :lol:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I just went out and checked. It is almost invisible, tucked away in the left rear corner. Not sure how it would come out unless the tire and the insulation comes out first, interesting?

·
Registered
432 Posts
indeed, thats why i assumed that was an aux battery for the live plug back there haha.

·
Registered
977 Posts
On the 2.4 Equinox the battery is in the front (Driver's side) buried under some cables and black plastic and some meatl fins. In the rear of the Nox is some type of Relay on the left (Drivers side). It had a tech name

·
Registered
432 Posts
yeah on closer inspection there is a battery box hiding there under the hood :lol:

tough to see amongst all the plastic.

·
Registered
446 Posts
It is interesting that they "hide" the battery under one of the main electrical components under the hood. Interesting because GM has been moving batteries out of under the hood on most other vehicles. It's behind the passenger seat in my Traverse under the floor. In our old HHR it was beside the spare tire under the back floor board. In my father-in-law's Buick, it's under the back seat. GM did this to help keep the hot/cold/wet issues under the hood from causing the battery to corrode so fast. Works quite well, from my experience.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Just what is that aluminum finned plate with the three wire bundles connected to it sitting on top of the battery?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
tmozer said:
Just what is that aluminum finned plate with the three wire bundles connected to it sitting on top of the battery?
It's called the "don't go to Autozone/Pepboys for a new battery, bring it to the dealer and pay twice as much" device. ;D Sorry, I really don't know what it is, and it's been a while since I popped the hood.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Not sure purpose but looks like it is held by some bolts. I can't believe they buried the battery like that ::)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I came here looking for this exact thread..

I went out to look at a '11 last night and at the dealer the folks couldn't tell me much about the battery, which I am assuming is the same as a '10.

They did show me the battery in the trunk that is down under the spare compartment and the side frame of the car. No one knew how to remove it though. The only answer I got was "You won't need to replace it for a long time." Yeah, okay. But really, how does one remove it? I drive my cars hard, like my Impala '03 which has 220,000 miles on it. I go through things and like to work on my own stuff when possible. How would one do that on this car? Is there something I need to replace under the hood as well? How hard are things to get at in these new SUVs?

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
LordJezo said:
I came here looking for this exact thread..

I went out to look at a '11 last night and at the dealer the folks couldn't tell me much about the battery, which I am assuming is the same as a '10.

They did show me the battery in the trunk that is down under the spare compartment and the side frame of the car. No one knew how to remove it though. The only answer I got was "You won't need to replace it for a long time." Yeah, okay. But really, how does one remove it? I drive my cars hard, like my Impala '03 which has 220,000 miles on it. I go through things and like to work on my own stuff when possible. How would one do that on this car? Is there something I need to replace under the hood as well? How hard are things to get at in these new SUVs?
by the time you would have to replace any of these items, I'm sure there will be manuals available to show you how... Did you forget about your 3 year warranty?

·
Registered
977 Posts
The battery is in the engine comparment on the 2010. What you see in the trunk is some type of electrical junction box (At least on the 2010). If you take off the plastic cover on the drivers side you can see the battery underneath (The fins that are exposed under the plastic). Maybe the fins keep heat away from the battery???????????

·
Registered
33 Posts
There is already a manual out for the 2010's..to replace the battery just need to unbolt the covers and the ECM and the battery is right there...the fins are to provide cooling for the ECM...just like the fins on your computers motherboard,graphics card,etc...if anyone needs a scan of something from the service manual let me know.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
dodell said:
There is already a manual out for the 2010's..to replace the battery just need to unbolt the covers and the ECM and the battery is right there...the fins are to provide cooling for the ECM...just like the fins on your computers motherboard,graphics card,etc...if anyone needs a scan of something from the service manual let me know.
Is there an online PDF of the service manual anywhere? I don't really need it for anything right now, but it would be nice to have in the future.

·
Registered
33 Posts
havent seen one yet...but I know some other members of this forum were looking to go in on a group buy of the service manual on dvd..fyi its about 400 bucks for the dvd version....I'm sure soon some pdf versions will pop up on ebay and torrent sites...when I bought mine i dont even think the dvd version was released yet. There is no way I'm going to scan the whole service manual though its too many pages..my terrain would be an antique by the time I finished ;D

·
Registered
3 Posts
I accessed the battery on my 2010 Terrain and will gladly share how to get to it. First, it is under the hood, up front on the driver's side. It sits below a black box component with three large electrical cables on one end. In the owners manual it is on page 9-6, index "I". To remove the black box, remove one 10 mm bolt (located under the three cables). Slide the box toward the driver side fender to release to slide tabs, then lift up and out of the way. It was easy to access. Please note if you have a dead battery and need a jump, there is no need to remove the black box as there are remote terminals located back toward the firewall. Hope this helps.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts